Will Lego relaunch Harry Potter with the 2017 re-release of the movies in 3d?

spener90

Guest eightbrick

Harry Potter was a 2 year License, I am pretty sure Lego would be happy to keep making the Exclusive 10217 Diagon Alley and the 4842 Castle, and Lego is paying Millions for the rights to make these sets. Now Lego has a 3 year License with Marvel, so the Batman Arkham Ayslum Exclusive should be around for a while. Now the Lord Of the Rings Tower of Orthanc is a tough one, the Last Hobbit movie comes out December 2014, so does the License end then or keep on for another year, But when the License is up so are the Exclusive's. but in any case everybody has plenty of time to get the Batman Arkham and the Tower of Orthanc. and don't miss the Boat on the Tower Bridge, Haunted House and the SSDS.

Thanks for the info, as always. The more you post, the more educated we all get ;)

I would honestly be shocked, and by shocked I mean flabbergasted! if Harry Potter doesn't have any more movies, books, or anything like that.  It is far too good of a line to ride into the sunset.  I really hope Lego Harry Potter will be back.  It would be a shame if it doesn't...

Depends on what Rowling does with the books, if she gets bored and decides to make some more, create a spinoff world, whatever.

But until there is an extension of that, I don't believe we will see any more sets.

I read it is scheduled to expire in 2022 as per Brickipedia.

Thanks, as usual, TOK. If I had to guess, TLG will renew that partnership with LucasFilms, even after that, assuming Episoes 7-9 are better than 1-3. :D

Lego most likely have the Star Wars License forever, both Lego and Lucas both have a Gold Mine with this partnership.

Very true. That agreement was/is profitable for both sides.

I have a hunch that Rowling will revisit her world, using the kids of the first generation, similar to the upcoming Star Wars trilogy.

They will go to Hogwart's so we'll get a 3k piece UCS Hogwart's. 

Some of the earlier Potter sets look a little cheesy compared to the most recent ones.

Don't say Lucas emazers, it's Disney now!

TLG currently has the Star Wars license until 2022. That agreement was made before Disney bought the rights to the franchise. It will be interesting to see what happens when we get closer to 2022. Before then 2 or 3 new movies will be released, but I wouldn't be surprised if Disney asks for too much money when it comes time to negotiate another deal in 9 years.

I don't think Lego will give up the Star Wars Franchise easily.. I think we will see some renegotiation but it will come to fruition with Lego still having it.

Same here. Even if the agreement isn't as profitable for TLG, it is still a "Gold Mine" as Emazers put it, and I agree with this. What would Disney do with the franchise if they don't partner with LEGO? MegaBloks? I doubt it. That's not the type of image that I would want to put for my company.

I think there's a very real chance that Disney pulls the plug on Lego Star Wars.  As they say, money talks and BS walks, and Disney has a long way to go to make their $3B investment back.

That said, Lego and Disney have partnered on any number of licensed themes, so if there's a company Lego would probably choose to have purchased the SW franchise, Disney would probably be at the top of their list.

I agree. But the PoP, TS and LR lines are entirely different animals. Disney will no doubt want more money, so it will just be a matter if that still leaves enough to make TLG happy. But if Disney finds they can make more with MB or even developing their own new line, I wouldn't be surprised.