Any local forums??

stinger-311

Hey Everyone in AUS

Now that Bricks Down under is basically gone (since end of last year), I was just wondering if anyone else knows of any local forums to discuss local sales, bargains etc?

As this is a global site I am not sure how many aussies visit this part of the forum, I only recently discovered it. 

Plus what do you use to sell used or MISB sets on? I use Ebay and gumtree, any others?

Please let me know

Jeff - The lego market here is Australia is overpriced compared to US, you are looking at nearly double your RRP. I am on here every day Jeff and I love this site, the articles are great. I have been a collector since I was 3 years old (have pics to prove it) and I am now 35. I have been an investor for the past 3 years. 

Thedarkness - I agree with your statement also. I am a massive lego collector and investor and I do purchase the majority of my lego from overseas. I do miss the days of Bricks down under where you could chat to fairly local people about prices, what they have seen on clearance and what they are into. 

The problem at the moment is the falling Aussie dollar in relation to the exchange rate. For the past 2 years we have been on parity with the US dollar and i consider these past few years the 'golden time' to buy lego from overseas. I am not saying its still not cheaper to buy overseas with from UK and Europe, forget the US though as they heavily inflate their shipping, not to mention many retails do not ship to Australia. 

I myself buy and sell. I can get most sets around 40 - 55% off Aussie RRP and then sell then off to local people at around 20% off RRP. This helps to wipe out my shipping costs and even covers some of my outlay. Obviously the more you buy the cheaper the shipping so I buy in bulk. So much so I know the posty by name. I do this mostly for friends with kids, work colleges and neighbours.

If the dollar keeps going down then so will my spending unless i find some great deals.

The current nation wide toy sales have some fantastic deals (see other post) and I wanted to make sure all aussies were aware of this.

Any thoughts on how to make this forum take off for local members would be appreciated.

I have so much lego info in my head its insane and want to help or share with other lego nuts. I can list most sets by name, number, price (US), price (aussie) and other useful (or useless if you ask my wife). 

Jeff - The lego market here is Australia is overpriced compared to US, you are looking at nearly double your RRP. I am on here every day Jeff and I love this site, the articles are great. I have been a collector since I was 3 years old (have pics to prove it) and I am now 35. I have been an investor for the past 3 years. 

Thedarkness - I agree with your statement also. I am a massive lego collector and investor and I do purchase the majority of my lego from overseas. I do miss the days of Bricks down under where you could chat to fairly local people about prices, what they have seen on clearance and what they are into. 

The problem at the moment is the falling Aussie dollar in relation to the exchange rate. For the past 2 years we have been on parity with the US dollar and i consider these past few years the 'golden time' to buy lego from overseas. I am not saying its still not cheaper to buy overseas with from UK and Europe, forget the US though as they heavily inflate their shipping, not to mention many retails do not ship to Australia. 

I myself buy and sell. I can get most sets around 40 - 55% off Aussie RRP and then sell then off to local people at around 20% off RRP. This helps to wipe out my shipping costs and even covers some of my outlay. Obviously the more you buy the cheaper the shipping so I buy in bulk. So much so I know the posty by name. I do this mostly for friends with kids, work colleges and neighbours.

If the dollar keeps going down then so will my spending unless i find some great deals.

The current nation wide toy sales have some fantastic deals (see other post) and I wanted to make sure all aussies were aware of this.

Any thoughts on how to make this forum take off for local members would be appreciated.

I have so much lego info in my head its insane and want to help or share with other lego nuts. I can list most sets by name, number, price (US), price (aussie) and other useful (or useless if you ask my wife). 

Pretty much describes me.

The Aussie dollar falling has definitely slowed my spending dramatically. I always buy in bulk, basically pushing the $1000 customs limit every order.

I generally aim to be paying the same amount they pay in the States as we do here, though dollar for dollar (try buy a $100US set for about $100 AU)

Myer has some good deals, which could be combined with a MyerOne card for an extra 10% off, and free shipping over $100. Sopwith Camels for $90 anyone? Horizon Express for $111 or so?

At this stage I only post things in here that are standouts, like when the Diagon Alley set was on clearance at target for $179 earlier in the year. With other people floating around in here though I will start more posts.

I've been using my FlyBuys points for Target giftcards so I can get an extra $50 off purchases. I will be "targeting" R2-D2 and Arkham Asylum at $199 minus the giftcards.

How sad is that I buy so much from overseas I do not even have any idea what reward systems out local retailers offer. My wife has myer 1 card so will pinch hers is the 10% off automatic?

I bought 2 x Horizon express without knowing this last night grrrrrr. Will go back today and get another and a few others then :)

TheDarkness we sound so much alike, I always get as close to the $1000 custom limit every time also. Where abouts in AUS are you? I am in WA.

Did you manage to get any UCS B-wing from TRU in US on 4th May for $100? I did but still awaiting delivery.

I generally shop with Amazon worldwide do you also?

I also have family in Europe so I get them to buy when super sales and then whenever one of my family travels they bring back for me. 

No, they send through coupons online sometimes. The extra 10% off ended yesterday I just found out. Only ran for 3 or 4 days :(

I missed out on the B-Wing from TRU, but I have found them to be relatively useless. You place an order with them, and they send through the data to I-parcel. If there is an issue with it, they wipe their hands of it and blame I-Parcel. I ordered a couple of Haunted Houses awhile ago, never received them but got the rest of the order. Turned out TRU didn't pass the info on. Just something to keep in mind.

I did order B-Wings from a guy I know in the States. When my last lot arrive I will have 14 of them.

I am in the NT. No Myer or DJs, so nearly all my buying is online. I do raid K-Mart mostly when they are clearing out stock, and Target when it is fruitful.

Definitely use all the Amazons. They really should give me bonus coupons for the amount I spend there!

Damn about the myer one. Oh well.

I agree with TRU it takes on average 2 months for me to get an order delivered. At the 6 week point I remind them about my order and then they ship it. They arent the best but have some good sales occasionally, but the shipping costs are astronomical. 

Though when I do get my lego they are generally packed well with no damage. 

Lol 14 B wings. I have one display 2 for stock when they arrive. I am unsure how well they will appreciate over time just a feeling but I think they may go the way of Obi Wan Starfighter UCS. At $150 shipped for each Bwing I could not say no. 

Have you ever used Amazon Spain? Only one I havent used. UK is my favourite i generally get most of my orders in a week or less delivered.

Sounds like you guys have pretty much the same issues as I have over here in NZ.

Our customs limit is $400 NZ including the shipping component so I have to keep my orders a little smaller.

I have had similar issues with TRU, their customer service is atrocious!  But they do have decent deals at times and I've actually found their shipping cost to be very good.

I should do some Googling for info, but do you guys know offhand if Myer or other big Aus retailers have online stores that would ship to me?

I've used all of them. Once upon a time, it was like 15 euros for express shipping. I really wished I had capitalised on those deals more.

Amazon Spain doesn't offer the cheaper slower shipping unfortunately, which is why their fees are ridiculous.
Amazon UK and FR are the main ones I use due to their cheaper rates. Getting the shipping down is a really big deal these days.

Gromlin - Sorry no idea if they ship to NZ. I will ask in store for you as I am just about to head out to them 

Thedarkness - Yes i agree spain do have a higher shipping rate, but I noticed on my last UK order they seem to have increased theirs as well. 

If you are looking for the cheapest shipping then amazon.de is the cheapest but they seem to have the least sales. So then it comes down to sales vs shipping. In most cases the deals can out cancel out the shipping. 

I agree with the 15 euro shipping I starting buying back then and then it ended like 3 months later so I missed out too. I think they have realised how many international customers they have and acted accordingly. 

I have only had 2 shipping issues with amazon (de and fr) and both times they either gave me complete refund or partial so I was happy. Both cases my entire package was wet like some wine or some liquid had spilt all over it, making the boxes and instructions useless. I was very happy with their customer service and told them as much. 

I thought UK had risen. It was disappointing, plus mixed with the fall in AUD makes it less viable to buy from there. The 5 Technic 4x4 sets were $171 each delivered.

Amazon.de can be good with that shipping costs when they lower prices. It doesn't happen often but still does occasionally.

I use www.brickbadger.com in doing price comparisons. Used them before guys?

I've had wet boxes a couple of times. They have always refunded me (or reissued the sets) without making me return them. Simply cost too much in freight for it to be worthwhile. A couple of times I have donated stuff to the local hospital from freebies from Amazon for these reasons. I don't think I have actually returned anything now, come to think of it....

Yep I got some 4x4 for that price good for investing not for anything else. 

Never used brickbadger but will look into them today. 

I have never had to send anything back :) One time though I have red lego train 7938 that was missing bag 3 first time that has happened and they refunded the entire set, I just wanted the pieces to finish it off for my kids. 

I use www.brickbadger.com in doing price comparisons. Used them before guys?

I've had wet boxes a couple of times. They have always refunded me (or reissued the sets) without making me return them. Simply cost too much in freight for it to be worthwhile. A couple of times I have donated stuff to the local hospital from freebies from Amazon for these reasons. I don't think I have actually returned anything now, come to think of it....

Haven't used Brickbadger before but it seems to just be the same as the deals page here on Brickpicker: http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/amazonDiscounts.cfm?site=Amazon.com  Plus using that means BP gets a little revenue to help keep the site running.

Amazon do have great customer service.  I Had a badly water damaged 9450 set last week and they let me keep it and sent a replacement via expedited shipping.  I guess you'd only be able to do that every so often before they flag it and it proabably helps if you've been a decent customer before.

Haven't used Brickbadger before but it seems to just be the same as the deals page here on Brickpicker: http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/amazonDiscounts.cfm?site=Amazon.com  Plus using that means BP gets a little revenue to help keep the site running.

Amazon do have great customer service.  I Had a badly water damaged 9450 set last week and they let me keep it and sent a replacement via expedited shipping.  I guess you'd only be able to do that every so often before they flag it and it proabably helps if you've been a decent customer before.

If they can compare regions easily on brickpicker I will use it here. I don't use the brickbadger links to purchase though.