Retiring Soon - open speculation

Just called CS and they said that the death star was retired a long time ago but the UCS R2 unit was just projecting holograms of the set on the shelves and that when it retires we won't be seeing anymore Death stars in stores. This seems totally legit.

I was told the exact same thing. Damn it I missed my chance at getting a death star.

First off, Welcome to the site!

Secondly, for future reference, no one here will be able to tell you an EOL date for any set. It isn`t public knowledge, and only those who work for Lego higher up in the chain know that info for a fact. We can only speculate based on the market and availability of a set. There seems to be a rumor going around that DS will retire this year, I personally don`t think so. There is no real reason for Lego to do it, unless they release another UCS set. They did recently with the Sandcrawler, but I still don`t see it leaving just yet. End of the year at the very earliest, but I don`t think so. 

Tower Bridge is possibly on the way out, and it`s definitely going sooner rather that later, but probably another year. That`s one I`d invest in now if you are interested in doing do, but I`d wait on DS for now. If you wanted to buy into that one, May the 4th or double VIP in April would have been the best times. 

Thank you so much for you're quick reply. I just bought the Tower Bridge and the Grand Emporium last night. Would you consider these to be worthy investments? Also, anybody else know some good sets to invest in in the 100-300$ range? I am considering the Volkswagen T1 Camper Van. Thanks again for your replies, it's making this investing in legos a whole lot of fun.

Thank you so much for you're quick reply. I just bought the Tower Bridge and the Grand Emporium last night. Would you consider these to be worthy investments? Also, anybody else know some good sets to invest in in the 100-300$ range? I am considering the Volkswagen T1 Camper Van. Thanks again for your replies, it's making this investing in legos a whole lot of fun.

You are right on par with the popular concensus. I'd also add the Tower of Orthanc ($199.99) and the Star Wars R2D2 ($179.99) to that list.

If you are just starting your collection, almost any exclusive set in that range will be worth it in the end.  As you can afford it, I would buy 1 of each that looks good to you.  There are too many good sets to worry about multiples in the beginning unless you are the open one, save one type of collector.

I would add Haunted House, and Arkham Asylum as key ones that might retire this year.

You can see a great list if you go to target.com and list their Lego from highest to lowest-link.  You can generally tell if is an exclusive if the Lego number starts 10xxx.  The only exception to this numbering system in the list on target.com is the Simpson's House (also a good pickup but it just came out).

Hey fellow builders and investors, I currently have a used Mindstorms NXT 2.0. My question is when would be the prime time to sell this set? (Ebay) I know this is a difficult question to answer, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, 

Simon_GM

Hey fellow builders and investors, I currently have a used Mindstorms NXT 2.0. My question is when would be the prime time to sell this set? (Ebay) I know this is a difficult question to answer, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, 

Simon_GM

Get rid of it now. Mindstorms are super cool sets but lacking a bit when it comes to investments. Whatever $$ you can get for it put it into something else.

No need. Mine is hot air powered ;)

If you are just starting your collection, almost any exclusive set in that range will be worth it in the end.  As you can afford it, I would buy 1 of each that looks good to you.  There are too many good sets to worry about multiples in the beginning unless you are the open one, save one type of collector.

I would add Haunted House, and Arkham Asylum as key ones that might retire this year.

You can see a great list if you go to target.com and list their Lego from highest to lowest-link.  You can generally tell if is an exclusive if the Lego number starts 10xxx.  The only exception to this numbering system in the list on target.com is the Simpson's House (also a good pickup but it just came out).

From what I understand, the Arkham Asylum set will be out until the end of 2015 at least.  That was how long the deal was for the set.

Hey fellow builders and investors, I currently have a used Mindstorms NXT 2.0. My question is when would be the prime time to sell this set?

As soon as possible. The new EV3 is already out and there is not a lot of incentive to buy the older version.

Simon_GM

The best time to sell it would have been last summer when it was valued at over $300 for a used set. That being said, sell it right away. The value could continue to drop as time goes on.

Any predictions on the discontinue date for R2-D2? Any other sets that are supposed to discontinue very soon? When lego.com says that an item is out of stock but will ship within 30 days does this mean that those are the last of the sets made? Thanks.

Any predictions on the discontinue date for R2-D2? Any other sets that are supposed to discontinue very soon? When lego.com says that an item is out of stock but will ship within 30 days does this mean that those are the last of the sets made? Thanks.

Out of stock does not mean anything. Heck, even the Sandcrawler showed that state for a while here. 'Sold out' can be a sign and is correct most times, but there were exceptions. There are many other factors for close EOL, such as age, popularity and next item in theme.

You should look out for SSD, VW T1, TB, GE and KJ.

Did you notice it is OOS everywhere but Amazon?   If I check your list and judging by the set availability, you better start getting a couple more R2's, before T1's and TB's...... 

also need to factor in May the 4th effect though

I thought about it , but 10225 was not discounted at all , so I guess it should not had a huge impact......  and I been keeping an eye in this set and its availability is too siimilar to GE and SSD , so I decided to get R2's before TB, T1 and SC's........ I just bought 4

I thought about it , but 10225 was not discounted at all , so I guess it should not had a huge impact...... and I been keeping an eye in this set and its availability is too siimilar to GE and SSD , so I decided to get R2's before TB, T1 and SC's........ I just bought 4

actually it was if you consider that you had to spend 75 on star wars sets to get the Revan figure. (Grand Emporium would not work) that was like a 10-15% discount on r2

You are right on par with the popular concensus. I'd also add the Tower of Orthanc ($199.99) and the Star Wars R2D2 ($179.99) to that list.

I love the Tower of Arthanc and want to get some for personal collection and long term investment.  But wouldn't it have another 1 to 2 years left before it is getting close or do you all think it is going soon?

actually it was if you consider that you had to spend 75 on star wars sets to get the Revan figure. (Grand Emporium would not work) that was like a 10-15% discount on r2

I do not think so, the minifig is kind of weak in my opinion and it it will be too much work getting more than 2 or 3...... also just a few of us would look at the minifig as a "discount"..... and that would not have anything to do with how it has been not available at WM and Target....

Whether you think its weak or not is irrelevant. ( I agree by the way and don't care for the figure)

Still, The most recent closed Revans are going for 25 shipped, so after fees shipping etc that's 20 bucks off your 180 r2.

I do not think so, the minifig is kind of weak in my opinion and it it will be too much work getting more than 2 or 3...... also just a few of us would look at the minifig as a "discount"..... and that would not have anything to do with how it has been not available at WM and Target....

Anyone else got a top 10 list for the best sets to invest in?

There is no top 10. If you look at eyebrow40's post before yours, those are good guesses, buy some of them. We don't know which sets will be the best eventually. And there is no ranking among sets, you should have a diversified portfolio that's all.

Personally, I think lists will be more interesting if they don't include the Exclusives, because those are obvious. 

Though, Non-exlcusives will probably be similar. In no particular order... here are some I'd target.

FallingWater

Daily Bugle Showdown

Batcave

Olivia's House

Mirkwood Elf Army

Spider Cycle Chase

Power Armor Lex

X-Wing

Arctic Batman Vs. Mr. Freeze

Pirate Ship Ambush