Brickpicker App

Who else thinks this is a great idea? I know a lot of people use Brickpicker from their smart phones and something like this would be really helpful and awesome! Not like Jeff and Ed aren't doing enough already but just throwing an idea out there.

baby steps man baby steps.......the major websites you see out there have teams of developers that get paid thousands of dollars to develop site content. This site was put together by two people well technically just Jeff because he is the IT guy but we can't discount all the hard work and research that Ed has put in as well. So if you put it into perspective, this site is quite the amazing feat! Many more features will be rolling out but two people can only do so much at one time. I was rambling but I agree that an app would be great and I bet the idea was/is already brewing in Jeffs head!!

baby steps man baby steps.......the major websites you see out there have teams of developers that get paid thousands of dollars to develop site content. This site was put together by two people well technically just Jeff because he is the IT guy but we can't discount all the hard work and research that Ed has put in as well. So if you put it into perspective, this site is quite the amazing feat! Many more features will be rolling out but two people can only do so much at one time. I was rambling but I agree that an app would be great and I bet the idea was/is already brewing in Jeffs head!!Well they could higher me and pay me 50 cents an hour and I could help them with all their stuff, and you're probably right Jeff's most likely already thought about it.

Believe me, I would love to be working on a mobile app and there eventually will be one. I have received offers from some people to help, but it's not exactly what I am looking for. Some people have have asked for access to our data to build apps like they do for Brickset, but unfortunately we can't do that. The app I want to build for this site would really compliment it. Honestly the iPad app I have in my head will be pretty darn awesome. Like Stephen just mentioned though, there are just not enough resources. I work for .com company, and we have 9 full time developers and there is a ton of work to do all the time to keep that site going and its been around for more than 10 years. So think about all the development man hours that have gone into that. Anyhow, it will come. The site works fairly well on tablets and phones. Sure I know its not ideal, but it works. The app I have planned will be months of dedicated development time. I have had some quick conversations with a few mobile developers, gave them my ideas and they ballparked the figure at a point that just isn't feasible to handle, so I think I will be doing it myself :)

most likely already thought about it.

I have done more than thought about it. I have about 8 pages of notes outlining what type of web services need to be created, menu options, etc. Trust me, my mind never stops, this website has killed the sleep functions in my head because I am always thinking. My wife wonders if I ever actually listen to her anymore.

If Ed and I stopped coming up with ideas right now and did not say anything else. We have enough new ideas and features to add to this site for the next 2-3 years and that is being conservative.

I have done more than thought about it. I have about 8 pages of notes outlining what type of web services need to be created, menu options, etc. Trust me, my mind never stops, this website has killed the sleep functions in my head because I am always thinking. My wife wonders if I ever actually listen to her anymore.

If Ed and I stopped coming up with ideas right now and did not say anything else. We have enough new ideas and features to add to this site for the next 2-3 years and that is being conservative.

Nice Jeff! keep it up and... take your time on that app.

I would really like an app...BUT, I think that Ed and Jeff should polish the website first. Plus, they would need quite a lot more help to have a website AND an app. Great idea, but at this time, maybe not so realistic.

I didn't realize the website was so dull and required that much polish. Sorry to disappoint :(

I didn't realize the website was so dull and required that much polish. Sorry to disappoint :(

Don't worry! I think comicblast just means that you guys are still doing the finishing touches and you need to finish that before you start any thing else,. BTW the site is AMAZING!! love it!

I didn't realize the website was so dull and required that much polish. Sorry to disappoint :(That's not exactly what I meant. I meant that you guys were still doing a bunch of functions and stuff like that on the site and that you should concentrate on that stuff first. It's not dull at all! That's why I keep coming back day after day.

I didn't realize the website was so dull and required that much polish. Sorry to disappoint :(That's not exactly what I meant. I meant that you guys were still doing a bunch of functions and stuff like that on the site and that you should concentrate on that stuff first. It's not dull at all! That's why I keep coming back day after day.It's too late, I am already crying in the corner. My feelings are crushed. I am just kidding. I understand what you mean.

I didn't realize the website was so dull and required that much polish. Sorry to disappoint :(That's not exactly what I meant. I meant that you guys were still doing a bunch of functions and stuff like that on the site and that you should concentrate on that stuff first. It's not dull at all! That's why I keep coming back day after day.It's too late, I am already crying in the corner. My feelings are crushed. I am just kidding. I understand what you mean.Phewph! I was about to go cry in in a corner because I was banned. Not kidding about that one... ;)

Yeah, the idea to create an app is great and I bet once finished it will provide us with everything we need. Still bear in mind to create an app that doesn't need an internet connection to be active (we can use the web page when we have internet on our phones). The app can update itself once in a while and download the necessary information, but it should be allowed to work independently of the internet. I'm sure a lot of people will support your effort by buying your product once finished, but keep your heads cool and work it out to perfection. No rush.

Yeah, the idea to create an app is great and I bet once finished it will provide us with everything we need. Still bear in mind to create an app that doesn't need an internet connection to be active (we can use the web page when we have internet on our phones). The app can update itself once in a while and download the necessary information, but it should be allowed to work independently of the internet.

I'm sure a lot of people will support your effort by buying your product once finished, but keep your heads cool and work it out to perfection. No rush.

Very good thoughts and I am with you 100% on that. I know some features will still need internet access, but the core database pricing will be able to be contained in an internal database. I have been in these stores many times and can't get reception, so that would negate the use of a "good" mobile app.,

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm just wondering how likely it is that Brickpicker will ever get an app? I, for one, think it would be a lot easier and practical to be able to browse topics and add purchased sets through an app. Also, having the ability to browse the site when not near a PC would be excellent! Any thoughts? Has this been mentioned before?!

I just merged your topic with one from the past.  It will happen, but there are a lot of other things that need to be done before that and the option to hire someone to do what I really want to do with it would cost quite a bit of money, so once I get the Brick Classifieds launched and a few things with the Brickfolio, then I can concentrate on another big project like that.

• Like 1

I've been wanting an app for a long time hah, but with the figure you ballparked it might be kinda hard for awhile. If you think about Brickset not even having an app or bricklink (and they both make good money from their sites) then you know its gonna be awhile for brickpicker. Good news is a good bit of Brick Classifieds actions could help this site out with funding for some other stuff =P

I just want to do it right.  And now with the release of the Brick Classifieds right around the corner, i would want to make sure that it gets included.  The mobile interface for the forum is now much easier to read on a phone compared to the other forum so I am not worried about forum features for the app.  I will focus on the classifieds, the brickfolio and the set data.  I have some nice ideas for tablet versions.