While looking for LEGO stock...

I've played around with buying small, medium, and large sets and I think the ones that I'm now the most comfortable with are what I call the mid-range ones. These are the ones that will typically MSRP at around 39.99USD - 149.99USD, have about 300-1200 pieces and can be bought on sale between $30 - $100 dollars. If you pick them right a lot of them will see a 100% ROI, and are significantly easier to ship than a DS. You might not make as much $ profit per transaction but it's a good balance between hedging on several big sets and hedging on too many little sets. You'll also diversify but not to the point where a transaction returns no more than a couple of bucks.

Yeah, I am not looking forward to shipping SSDs.

I've played around with buying small, medium, and large sets and I think the ones that I'm now the most comfortable with are what I call the mid-range ones. These are the ones that will typically MSRP at around 39.99USD - 149.99USD, have about 300-1200 pieces and can be bought on sale between $30 - $100 dollars. If you pick them right a lot of them will see a 100% ROI, and are significantly easier to ship than a DS. You might not make as much $ profit per transaction but it's a good balance between hedging on several big sets and hedging on too many little sets. You'll also diversify but not to the point where a transaction returns no more than a couple of bucks.

I am blown away by everyone's help on getting started. I believe this quote here is probably most in tune with my thinking right now. Time and money will tell if I am right.

Too many little sets? TOO MANY LITTLE SETS?

Preposterous! The polybag will inherit the earth, and on occasion, your local stocking or party favor assortment....

Now that sounded hilariously biblical!

"The meek shall inherit the Earth with bags of plastic that make crinkly noises when smooshed....and stuff!"

• Like 1

Guest ph4tb0i

haha. Don't get me wrong I'm sitting on a couple hundred polybags too. Just that it takes a lot of time and effort as I haven't done it en masse. Plus I'm trying to break into other investment avenues, so it's hard to devote too much time getting stuff shipped on ebay. :(

Smalls can make tons of money. Like i posted in a previous post, My brother sells Yu-Gi-Oh cards and his mobile ebay app makes the ka-ching sound non-stop. Paying university + banking money while doing it. Just hard for me to do juggling with full time job + starting to work on different investments to diversify a bit more. :)

speaking of polybags, anybody have a couple of the birthday cake ones (40048)? I traded for one but gave it off to my brother's gf (she's a goodwill picker and always gives me lego to sell so i thought i'd give it as a thank you present but now i want one :(). Willing to trade. PM me. :D

Well after looking around at many sets and finding things we liked that looked like possible good investments, we pulled the trigger last night.

From Lego LEGO Shop at Home - Free Shipping

6857 Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape (x2) $39.99ea +tax, Total $42.35ea

5001623 DC Universe Superheroes Jor-El  Free

From Amazon - Free Shipping

10220 VW Camper $116.99

79111 Lone Ranger Constitution Train (x2) $90.93ea

Also used $10 in VIP money my son had, so total investment is $373.55

Thoughts anyone (good or bad)?

JP

Not planning on opening any, but we will see how his willpower holds up.

My hopes on the Lone Ranger trains is that they will see some increase in demand once the movie has been out a while. 

If not, then they become a long term investment.

JP