Buying in Bulk Tips/Advice/Thoughts?

What do you look for? Minifigures? Pieces of sets?

I have several bulk listings on Craigslist I have been thinking about but I don't know what to look for. Should I weigh it? If they don't really say what's in it, do you ask them what sets they have?

It is always good to ask what is in it. I look for minifigures and pieces. I bought a bulk lot for $50, and it has $500 is used Star Wars sets. That was a great score for me, so I would definitely ask what is in it.

You can ask what sets they have, but most of the time they don't know (because they probably wouldn't be selling it for as cheap) or they end up telling you incorrectly anyway. I've always looked for certain colors like the Green/Tan of the Harry Potter stuff, etc. but really never know unless you are dealing with someone who knows a lot about LEGO. Only way to confirm is to ask them if they have any of the manuals.

The last bulk I bought, I purchased because it had a decent amount of the light green belonging to Harry Potter. Ended up with ZERO HP sets but a complete 6210 Sail Barge.

It's all in the minifigures and instructions. My first questions are "Do you have any minifigures and/or instructions for your lot?" The minifigures alone will generally give you most all of the information you need to evaluate the worth. If it's a lot that you can only bulk out or piece out, then don't pay more than $1-2 per pound. But if you can recover some sets and it has instructions and minifigs, then you can pay $2-4 per pound. The 12-16 year olds are the best market potential right now....they generally have good valued sets, and they just want some money for video games.

• Like 1

I try to ask the following questions:

1. Do they smoke or have pets. The worst collection is the dirty, nasty bucket that you have to dig through. I still buy with both of those but it gives me clues as to what the extent of the damage will likely be, clumps of nasty dog hair or fine little white cat hair in the bottom of the tub.

2. Look for Mini Figures Just watch out for mixed lots. Yesterday I bought a nice tub. Probably 30lbs for $60. Looked like some great Star Wars and Indiana Jones figures. They were all there but no sets. The tub was def a mixed lot. Like large pieces that should have mates but are stand alone. I'll still double my money but it won't be amazing. 

3. Look at the colors. If you see the tons of primary colors (especially bricks) it's probably going to have a lot of bucket-O-bricks type stuff. If you see tons of blacks and grey with splashes of color I'd probably think Star Wars. If you see lots of earth tones probably themes like Kingdoms, HP, POP, Indiana Jones, etc. Most collections will have a mix of stuff but after a while you develop a 6th sense as to what will probably be in the collection.

• Like 3

1. Do they smoke or have pets. The worst collection is the dirty, nasty bucket that you have to dig through. I still buy with both of those but it gives me clues as to what the extent of the damage will likely be, clumps of nasty dog hair or fine little white cat hair in the bottom of the tub.

2. Look for Mini Figures Just watch out for mixed lots. Yesterday I bought a nice tub. Probably 30lbs for $60. Looked like some great Star Wars and Indiana Jones figures. They were all there but no sets. The tub was def a mixed lot. Like large pieces that should have mates but are stand alone. I'll still double my money but it won't be amazing. 

3. Look at the colors. If you see the tons of primary colors (especially bricks) it's probably going to have a lot of bucket-O-bricks type stuff. If you see tons of blacks and grey with splashes of color I'd probably think Star Wars. If you see lots of earth tones probably themes like Kingdoms, HP, POP, Indiana Jones, etc. Most collections will have a mix of stuff but after a while you develop a 6th sense as to what will probably be in the collection.

This is what I was attempting to convey in my previous post, I just haven't had a coffee yet today. :lazy:

Something I've noticed as well. Light Smoking doesn't seem to to sink into the plastic. But it will effect any non-plastic parts, instructions boxes and if you have a sensitive nose you'll likely be sneezing a bit more while doing through them. I find if they were displayed sets they will have a thicker layer of dust and a quick sweep with a swiffer helps a lot.

Agree w/ everything akohns said. 

1) Look for minifigs---licensed are best. 

2) Instructions are nice, but don't be swayed by a nice set of instructions w/o a large percentage of corresponding colored pieces---I have been guilty of this more than once.  Instructions for a Green Grocer, though no corresponding parts. 

3) Sand green & 50 shades of gray (err, well light-bluish and dark bluish anyway) = $$. 

4) Baseplates are also nice....often throwaways in lots, but they sell well and everyone needs them.

Agree w/ everything akohns said. 

1) Look for minifigs---licensed are best. 

2) Instructions are nice, but don't be swayed by a nice set of instructions w/o a large percentage of corresponding colored pieces---I have been guilty of this more than once.  Instructions for a Green Grocer, though no corresponding parts. 

3) Sand green & 50 shades of gray (err, well light-bluish and dark bluish anyway) = $$. 

4) Baseplates are also nice....often throwaways in lots, but they sell well and everyone needs them.

Ouch, hopefully you didn't pay extra for those GG instructions. My rule of thumb: Don't ever pay more than if things went wrong and you could still break even on the lot. So in a lot that you see figures, pay would you would for those figures, plus the lowest weight of the bulk. You just don't want to pay extra for something that isn't in the lot.

I'll tell you this, I enjoy the bulk much more than I do clearance hunting, buying used sets, or opening new ones. There's just something so unique and rewarding about digging through 30lbs. of loose LEGO and finding random treasure items that you never expected to be in there.

It may be time consuming, but I generally enjoy the process and go through my bulk lots carefully and over a few days time.

I'll tell you this, I enjoy the bulk much more than I do clearance hunting, buying used sets, or opening new ones. There's just something so unique and rewarding about digging through 30lbs. of loose LEGO and finding random treasure items that you never expected to be in there.

It may be time consuming, but I generally enjoy the process and go through my bulk lots carefully and over a few days time.

For sure. For the Lego enjoyer it's way more tactile to dig through the lego pieces and handle everything rather than stare at sealed boxes in the closet. I like to try to buy used legos or I get antsy and go buy something new that I shouldn't with money I shouldn't be spending. With used lots I always pick out a few pieces or figures to throw in my bin of stuff for myself. Usually castle, western or pirate stuff.

Usually I put an ad on craigslist looking for legos and lego since Craig's doesn't filter it properly. You would be surprised how many people have sets collected in bins and they forget about it till they see the add. When I look for lots I check the nicer parts of town..if you find a lot ask for set number and check them online , look at the special htf parts so when u arrive you can scout them. Sme people don't mind but I carry a blanket and lay it out and pour out the bin briefly check it and then put back in the bin. Takes seconds and saves a lot of headaches and money. Certain parts bring in bucks, dark blue sand colors especially. Always offer less than they ask unless its filled with lego figs. Lots of times they have the boxes and books so ask just incase. I usually barter down to $2-5 per lbs and you can use a luggage hook scale and a trash bag to weigh it on the spot. Most of my eBay sales come from used lots and I use the money to buy new sets and build inventory. Half of our lego collection is in color sorted bulk and it makes life sooooo easy putting together sets that are somewhat complete. :)

Usually I put an ad on craigslist looking for legos and lego since Craig's doesn't filter it properly. You would be surprised how many people have sets collected in bins and they forget about it till they see the add. When I look for lots I check the nicer parts of town..if you find a lot ask for set number and check them online , look at the special htf parts so when u arrive you can scout them. Sme people don't mind but I carry a blanket and lay it out and pour out the bin briefly check it and then put back in the bin. Takes seconds and saves a lot of headaches and money. Certain parts bring in bucks, dark blue sand colors especially. Always offer less than they ask unless its filled with lego figs. Lots of times they have the boxes and books so ask just incase. I usually barter down to $2-5 per lbs and you can use a luggage hook scale and a trash bag to weigh it on the spot. Most of my eBay sales come from used lots and I use the money to buy new sets and build inventory. Half of our lego collection is in color sorted bulk and it makes life sooooo easy putting together sets that are somewhat complete. :)

Nice! those are some tricks I've never thought of before. Same here. Most of my ebay inventory is used sets I've bought on the CL.

I hate to buy LEGO in bulk. Sorting and figuring out what belongs where takes me way too much time lol

This....

I mean ok I can live through that but only if there is max a FEW sets (3-7) in a lot...

anything more than 5000 pieces is starting to get boring :P

This....

I mean ok I can live through that but only if there is max a FEW sets (3-7) in a lot...

anything more than 5000 pieces is starting to get boring :P

You missed the joke.  He just bought a gigantic lot a few weeks ago and has been putting sets together ever since.  The lot he picked up is a dream come true.

• Like 1

You missed the joke.  He just bought a gigantic lot a few weeks ago and has been putting sets together ever since.  The lot he picked up is a dream come true.

Not a dream come true but more a nightmare due to my limited time and days only having 24 hours... if i got that lot it would take me near a year to clean and pick through ...

but ye i guess if you find it fun it is a dream come true ;)

Not a dream come true but more a nightmare due to my limited time and days only having 24 hours... if i got that lot it would take me near a year to clean and pick through ...

but ye i guess if you find it fun it is a dream come true ;)

Most sets were mostly put together though, so it was not really a box with thousands of individual pieces. More like partially built and such