Help for the Newbie?

Good day all, from beautiful Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada!

I have to admit that I own exactly one Lego set.  Yesterday I bought a Uruk-Hai Army set for my son.  As he is just over three weeks old, suffice to say, we won't share the joys of building that I remember from childhood for quite sometime.  But this leads me to my query.

I'd love to spend the coming years building a collection of sets for him to enjoy as he gets older.  LOTR spoke to me as both my spouse and I love the books and movies and I thought he would enjoy the sets as he ages.  Can anyone give me any suggestions on sets to collect?  I, frankly, know little about the hobby but understand that collections sell out quickly and can be difficult to come by.  Any help for the new guy would be appreciated.

Best,

Don

• Like 1

Wow! Quick replies! Thanks folks.

I found the site about 20 minutes ago when I realized that if I wanted to put together a decent collection for the little fellow (and me admittedly!), I'd be better off getting some help.

Is there any way to determine when sets will be retiring?

Good day all, from beautiful Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada!

I have to admit that I own exactly one Lego set.  Yesterday I bought a Uruk-Hai Army set for my son.  As he is just over three weeks old, suffice to say, we won't share the joys of building that I remember from childhood for quite sometime.  But this leads me to my query.

I'd love to spend the coming years building a collection of sets for him to enjoy as he gets older.  LOTR spoke to me as both my spouse and I love the books and movies and I thought he would enjoy the sets as he ages.  Can anyone give me any suggestions on sets to collect?  I, frankly, know little about the hobby but understand that collections sell out quickly and can be difficult to come by.  Any help for the new guy would be appreciated.

Best,

Don

Don, first...welcome to the site.

This is really a difficult question to answer.  Lego is an awesome toy, and one that's stood the test of time better than most.  I played with Lego as a child and still have a big bin of my old Lego that my son (now 5) loves to pick through, even moreso than his own Lego bins.

As far as themes go, your taste should probably guide the sets you buy since you will likely be helping your son put these together.  My 5 year old loves Ninjago, Star Wars and Chima - these are themes that have sets targeted to a younger demographic.  Cars and Toy Story also are great kid sets, but they don't have nearly the resale potential that Ninjago and SW do in case you plan on selling them in the future.  City is great as well (my favorite growing up), and my son is really loving the new Castle sets coming out. 

Themes to stay away from if buying for little kids - Architecture (no minifigs, display only sets), Technic, Mindstorms, and any of the games as these can be a little abstract for the 5-6 year old demographic.

The beauty of Lego is that they can last a lifetime.  Lego.com is a great resource for looking at all the themes and sets.  Enjoy picking these sets out - the little ones grow up fast!

And I have been reading his page in slack-jawed disbelief.  This is one knowledgeable gent.

So step one for me is trying to track down the Helm's Deep set here in St. John's.  We aren't the biggest market!  Are there preferrable retailers online or are the standards like Toys R Us and Amazon the go-to stores?

And I have been reading his page in slack-jawed disbelief.  This is one knowledgeable gent.

So step one for me is trying to track down the Helm's Deep set here in St. John's.  We aren't the biggest market!  Are there preferrable retailers online or are the standards like Toys R Us and Amazon the go-to stores?

There are a number of Canadian buyers/sellers on the site - ph4tb0i comes to mind off the top of my head.  Check their posts to get an idea of where they like to buy.  I know ph4tb0i uses (and posts) deals from Amazon UK quite a bit.

Lets not hear any more crap about TRU!  :punish:  (sorry :giverose: )  I believe that Amazon would be a good place to go though.

There are a number of Canadian buyers/sellers on the site - ph4tb0i comes to mind off the top of my head.  Check their posts to get an idea of where they like to buy.  I know ph4tb0i uses (and posts) deals from Amazon UK quite a bit.

I believe Weakside is also a Canadian too.

Guest ph4tb0i

:D I have a rep here! Though puny compared to the almighty emazers. :P

Welcome, Don. If you frequent this site enough, you'll have a good enough idea of when a set is near retirement so that you won't be caught without. The key is to make all of your purchases on items that are closest to going bye bye, thus giving yourself more time to buy what's still widely available. As many have said, emazers has a good track record as do a few others.

...Yesterday I bought a Uruk-Hai Army set for my son.  As he is just over three weeks old, suffice to say, we won't share the joys of building that I remember from childhood for quite sometime...  ...Can anyone give me any suggestions on sets to collect?  I, frankly, know little about the hobby but understand that collections sell out quickly and can be difficult to come by.  Any help for the new guy would be appreciated.

Best,

Don

Hi Don!  I'm in the same boat as you, my son is 4 months now and I started about 30 or so weeks into the pregnancy.  It's been about 6 months and so far my biggest piece of advice is to remain very casual and extremely selective about the whole thing.  Also, no regrets and don't look back when a set you missed out on goes End Of Life (EOL).  Just let it go and move on.  If you're not careful you'll start doubling up (or more) on sets to sell later...thinking that you'll recoup the cost of what you've spent so far or help fund this momentum going forward.  All you really need right now is a discounted Vampyre Castle, but it's so easy to get caught up in the hunt and feed off this very active community.  Before you know it you're re-organizing your home office for space and feeling like you're a big time investor running out of room.  *Which your wife will be quick to remind you that you're not...a big time investor that is, but you ARE running out of room and it turns out that her idea of an investment does not start with "L" and rhyme with LEGO.  Luckily, she just thinks this is a phase. :twitch:

Then one day, you'll find yourself rearranging long standing priorities so you can be the first to see what's on sale as you're standing outside a Target before your Sunday morning ride, waiting for it to open, wondering how weird it would be if the 5 other guys waiting as well, are there for LEGO too... only to find out they are, which makes you feel even weirder, and crazier.  Then, nothing is on sale.  So your riding time has just been pushed back 1 hour and it's hot out, you'll pay for that later, but now you realize this has all gone too far and you start to wonder if you should sort out what you want most and return the rest.  Good thing you kept all those receipts!

Good luck!

• Like 1

I believe Weakside is also a Canadian too.

yup, Canadian and glad to help if I can...even as a newbie compared to many, many others here.  Welcome new member.  You could wait for a local sale for the Mines of Moria but if you can't wait...i will plug playvaluetoys.com again.  They have it for $79 instead of $99 at walmart and would package better too...mind you check the delivery fee for your area, might work out to the same if walmart is free delivery.