The "I won't buy Investment Lego for X # of days starting now" Thread

Guest ph4tb0i

Guest ph4tb0i

Ok, May and the Grand Opening near my place has pretty much made me go way over budget with my Lego "investment" purchases so I'm going for a Lego "investment" purchase lockdown for 60 days starting now. Who's with me? :)

No "investment" lego purchase until Aug 3, 2013 12:05AM Eastern Time for me. I would've said ALL Lego purchases but I want that hog dog stand next month from Lego S&****. Oh man this is going to be hard. 

Guest ph4tb0i

If you are going to wait til August be sure and save money for these items as time is running short on all 3 of these.

1-Haunted House

2-Tower Bridge

3-SSDS

Thx for the tip emazers! Will definitely keep this in mind for the year and set these as my targets! :)

If you are going to wait til August be sure and save money for these items as time is running short on all 3 of these.

1-Haunted House

2-Tower Bridge

3-SSDS

I think I'm going to stop on the investment sets EXCEPT for these large sets.

The next time LEGO Shop at Home has the double points promo, I'm all over it, unless I can find a better deal before then.

If Emazers says that time is running short on HH, I'm going to listen...!

I'll take a break from everything except Haunted Houses and Craigslist. I have 1 new and 1 built HH, and I was going to wait until Black Friday to get more. But it's an anamoly in the eol debate. It launched 3 months later than the rest of the theme, and the other sets are now retiring just before Halloween. The Zombies set got pulled off shelves early, and some sets have lost glow in the dark elements. ...the Haunted house could last 3+ years, due to its size and sales. Or it could go quietly, this year, right after Halloween.

I'll take a break from everything except Haunted Houses and Craigslist. I have 1 new and 1 built HH, and I was going to wait until Black Friday to get more. But it's an anamoly in the eol debate. It launched 3 months later than the rest of the theme, and the other sets are now retiring just before Halloween. The Zombies set got pulled off shelves early, and some sets have lost glow in the dark elements. ...the Haunted house could last 3+ years, due to its size and sales. Or it could go quietly, this year, right after Halloween.

I just wish it stay longer than New Year....

while I will have enough to purchase 2 by the end of New Year I would not like to Hurry!

I could say yes to that all I want...until I see a deal I just can't pass up then I'm done!

Agreed.  It defeats the purpose of investing in any Lego if you won't buy any when the price is good.  While I would like to commit to not buying anything and save myself the money I fold for a deal everytime.  God bless receipts for buyers remorse.

I'm kind of in the same situation, no more free cash for new purchases.  But that does not mean I'll stop buying.  As an investor you should be constantly evaluating you portfolio and liquidating any poor performing sets in favour of ones where returns will be better.  So that's what I'm doing, selling sets where profits have been made and my prediction for their continued growth is less than other sets I want to buy.

• Like 1

1-Haunted House

2-Tower Bridge

3-SSDS

I thought we had TB until the end of the year.

I am stocking up on all the even number LOTR sets after your previous email :)

Technically I am not supposed to order anything more (under wife's orders)

Any bargains though, well I just place orders

Does get a bit hard to justify when 53 sets rock up in one day....

You'll have to find a way to create an income to fund your purchases.

Me I break down bulk lots, this way I only have to pay "real" money for anything when I get my sums wrong  :punish:

Guest ph4tb0i

One of the problems with investing in lego is that it can tie down your money really fast since there are good deals almost every other week. While I would love to jump on every deal I see I also want to consider investing in other things too rather than just lego in order to diversify my portfolio.

I figured now would be a good time to start building cash reserves again as we're right between clearance and christmas season. Of course, anything sale that will make me break my self exposed exile will have to be as good (or as better) than the Amazon May 30th sale. :)

If all else fails...mnba has just sent me a $20,000 limit credit card with interest free/tranfers for 10months lol.  10 months would put me in around March 2014 of 0% interest (just one time 1% admin fee on balance) well past the holiday season.  Tempted to go big on some sets to flip within 10months but risky :)  Would be too stressful looking at credit card bill due with no cash to pay it off fully.  I never carry a balance and pay my bills early.  I'll just stick to Lego being a hobby and selling some sets to off set my purchases.    

Cash flow is getting tight with recent purchases...but that just means I have to be extra selective or wait for better deals.  Would be nice to clear some inventory too and get some cash back.         

1-Haunted House

2-Tower Bridge

3-SSDS

How do you structure your auctions and shipping?  Who do you ship with?  Maybe these questions deserve a thread from you but I appreciate your knowledge.

If all else fails...mnba has just sent me a $20,000 limit credit card with interest free/tranfers for 10months lol.  10 months would put me in around March 2014 of 0% interest (just one time 1% admin fee on balance) well past the holiday season.  Tempted to go big on some sets to flip within 10months but risky :)  Would be too stressful looking at credit card bill due with no cash to pay it off fully.  I never carry a balance and pay my bills early.  I'll just stick to Lego being a hobby and selling some sets to off set my purchases.    

Cash flow is getting tight with recent purchases...but that just means I have to be extra selective or wait for better deals.  Would be nice to clear some inventory too and get some cash back.         

Don't put yourself in the situation of absolutely having to sell by a certain point in time.  The lego market is not as predictable as you may think.  If the economy tanks, the secondary lego market is flooded by  ramped-up lego production/new investors or sets don't EOL when you think they are going to (if I invest 10K in Death Stars then I can double my money by Christmas b/c everybody says they are EOLing this summer!).  The good thing about legos is that their investing downside seems less than stocks (you still have a good product in your possession) but you may be put into the situation of having to sell at a loss or carry a significant amount of credit card debt if you start spending money you don't have).  By not going into debt while investing you free yourself up to time the resale market as you see fit to maximize your profit.

• Like 3

Plus, don't ever believe a credit card company that offers you anything for free. I've tried a few 0% interest deals in the past. Somehow it always cost me money, whether through ridiculous account maintenance fees or retroactive interest charges that accrue after the offer ends.