Hagrid's Hut and Hogwarts Express

MikroMan

So, I just picked up the last HP sets in my local store:

Hagrid's Hut 4837 for 39,00 EUR

Hogwarts Express 4841 for 75 EUR

Should I hold onto these two for some more time or just resell right now?

Why are you asking such weird question...

Look their lowest prices on Ebay and decide if your net result is satisfying yourself...

noone on Brickpicker can tell you WHEN TO SELL... it depends on your desire how much money you want to make..

Why are you asking such weird question...

Look their lowest prices on Ebay and decide if your net result is satisfying yourself...

noone on Brickpicker can tell you WHEN TO SELL... it depends on your desire how much money you want to make..

To be or not to be....... :-)

I've already checked the prices and I know that I can get quite some money for these two, I was just wondering if people here had any special advice concerning it. And I'm sorry if the question was lame, even though I've been educating myself, I'm still rather new to investing in LEGO and trying to pick up some useful info regarding selling patterns, especially for sets wit MSRP below 100 EUR.

The Harry Potter series is definitely a popular theme. The Hogwarts Express is even more popular as its already doubled in value. The farther away from the Harry Potter movies we get though the less popular they become. I think you are good to hang onto these for 2 years and expect this to increase even more in that time frame. I hear that Warner Bros will be releasing HP series in full 3D in a few years and if that happens expect more kids who missed the HP craze to get into it. Train sets do well already, adding HP to it...explosion! I only wish I could have come into the LEGO investing world before HP retired.

Hey MikroMan, youre fine! This site is meant to educate people on Lego Investing and therefore we will help you out. If you are not desperate for money than I'd advise you not to sell quite yet! I think after this next Christmas these sets will probably have increased considerably again/less of them will be on the market as more and more of these get opened up by kids who want to play/build them again. My advise is to hold onto them for a little while. Hope that helped and don't be sorry about asking questions on here! Sometimes responders just get a little over zealous

Hey MikroMan, youre fine! This site is meant to educate people on Lego Investing and therefore we will help you out. If you are not desperate for money than I'd advise you not to sell quite yet! I think after this next Christmas these sets will probably have increased considerably again/less of them will be on the market as more and more of these get opened up by kids who want to play/build them again. My advise is to hold onto them for a little while. Hope that helped and don't be sorry about asking questions on here! Sometimes responders just get a little over zealous

This is what I call WHEN TO SELL, not only linked to a % of gain

i'd just like to point out that the diagon alley set has dropped by about 30$ in the last couple of month's. i wonder if the other HP sets have been falling to. this may affect your decision...( you will not see these declines in the price guide, i noticed because iv'e been trying to sell a diagon alley for about 2 months. two months ago it was selling between 225-235 now its selling for 190-210)

i'd just like to point out that the diagon alley set has dropped by about 30$ in the last couple of month's. i wonder if the other HP sets have been falling to. this may affect your decision...( you will not see these declines in the price guide, i noticed because iv'e been trying to sell a diagon alley for about 2 months. two months ago it was selling between 225-235 now its selling for 190-210)

I think I'll hold onto these two sets at least till the end of this year. If I see a major decline in prices I'll sell, otherwise I'll hold onto them for at least another year.

This is what I call WHEN TO SELL, not only linked to a % of gainProblem is we can keep postponing this period of WHEN TO SELL.

I think some of you dont get it...

why not sell the sets next year then at/after Christmas... or year after that... or EVEN BETTER... sell those sets when they are the LAST MISB in the world...

this is not WHEN TO SELL this is when the poster quoted above would sell...

The OP asked when SHOULD he sell, and such answer can only be answered by himself and noone else.

It is called when his idea of profit return is good enough, but the projection of profit return must be realistic.

Thats all there is.

I would hope the BP community would rather force new members to start thinking than holding their hands... If you tell the member when to sell set A and set B he will come back and ask the same (silly) question as to when sell set C and D instead make the man think his own way through when to sell set A and set B and he will never again need guidance...

It's the middle of the year and suspect relatively few are being listed. And relatively few people are looking for it.

It'll will probably take off again nearer Christmas. Of course I could be wrong :)

Well said! As stated please do not be discouraged to ask questions. That is what this website is for. Some members prefer to not be constructive but most are very helpful and have no problem trying to guide people in the right direction.

@Alcarin: Yes, I admit my question was phrased a bit badly, but I still think you're overreacting a bit. Maybe I should've also typed my other thoughts on the matter in the original post, instead of making otherwise uninformative post... BTW, why not make a ''Sell or hold'' official topic in some General Investing subforum so us newbies can post there?

@Alcarin: Yes, I admit my question was phrased a bit badly, but I still think you're overreacting a bit. Maybe I should've also typed my other thoughts on the matter in the original post, instead of making otherwise uninformative post...

don't worry about it.

BTW, why not make a ''Sell or hold'' official topic in some General Investing subforum so us newbies can post there?

Don't worry about alcarin, he can come off as a bit abrasive, but he's ok really.

I have thought this was a 5 year game but I am not sure if I could hold out that long. Having said that I only have one set at EOL so far.

Well, I have only two EOL sets, and that's because I managed to pick up those two HP sets :D I'm hoping to sell some of my stuff in the fall/winter (Monster Fighters, possibly some Winter Villages), but I'll be holding onto other stuff for a bit longer

@Alcarin: Yes, I admit my question was phrased a bit badly, but I still think you're overreacting a bit. Maybe I should've also typed my other thoughts on the matter in the original post, instead of making otherwise uninformative post...

BTW, why not make a ''Sell or hold'' official topic in some General Investing subforum so us newbies can post there?

Nah its not the problem of phrasing questions correctly or not, I am not native English speaker so I make loads of mistakes if some English teacher comes and starts checking my posts.

Thing is noone can tell you if sell or hold a set except for yourself, all those kind answers you got are more or less only that kind answers that include personal opinions when would posters of those opinions sell IF they had such set.

That has limited success and is only usable short term, because in X months you will acquire another X sets and will need the same opinion. You should not invest and sell by opinions of others regardless of their intentions.

Believe me I wish you all the best in your investing career regardless of its length but I believe it is better for you to gain confidence in making your own decisions when to sell.

Yeah, I realize that depending on other's opinions would be unprofitable for my investing future, but I still hoped I'd be able to draw on the knowledge of more experienced members. Let's say I'll endeavour to be more... independent in the future.

Yeah, I realize that depending on other's opinions would be unprofitable for my investing future, but I still hoped I'd be able to draw on the knowledge of more experienced members. Let's say I'll endeavour to be more... independent in the future.

Thats a good way to start in investing ;)

There are just 2 guidelines you should follow (ok 3) and you'll do good.

1. Aim to buy on 15% or more discount (does not include Modulars)

2. Aim to sell on major Events (Halloween, X-mas)

3. set your own profit line as when you will start selling a set.

3rd point example.

My profit line is 100%. As soon as LOWEST set value on Ebay is 100% higher than my purchase price (not retail) I start selling the set.

That way you do not need to think ''When will the set reach roof'' but rather sell when you consider set reaching your own profit margin.

1. Aim to buy on 15% or more discount (does not include Modulars)

Yeah, I've been trying to do that, but finding some serious deals here in Slovenia... Hardly :D Except for the occasional clearing stock. But, I was able to get Modulars at 10% discount, plus some good deals with relatively low shipping costs from amazon.co.uk