My name is Mark, and I am addicted to Lego!

Hey Folks, I am 38, getting back into legos now that my son is 4. Used to play them when I was younger, but mom gave them all away when I grew out of them. Started getting a few small sets for my son, and he is in love with the super hero series, and monster fighters. I got into investing--sort of---while at the Burlington mall shopping where I live in MA. It was hard to track down a Jokers fun house set--had to go to 3 different lego stores. Guy in Burlington who had held one for me, told me they were flying off the shelves, and would go up in value when they weren't for sale any longer. Started talking to him about a few sets I wanted myself, but were no longer sold, and he told me about this site, and other lego sites to check out when he saw I was interested in investing in them I couldn't believe it was only $40 and had all those figures, and I started to think of buying a couple and storing them. I bought the 3 they had that day, 2 to hold, one for son. I am still a user/collector and only a tiny investor right now. I am here mostly looking for deals to buy for my son and I to enjoy building. I'll put a couple things away that I love---that seem cheap---like the funhouse. I WISH I could find deals on Monster fighters as that is our favorite set---but have paid retail for most of them, and bought 2 used on ebay with no figures. If I could find the deals some of you are--I would load my closet with them. Still looking for Quinjet, and MF castle, among other things. After reading this and other sites, I can no longer buy at retail! I feel silly doing it--and only got somewhat pressured once since I started reading online. Checking out deals at Kmart--found nothing on clearance but kreo crap. Son fell in love looking at a small chima set for 13 bucks. I hated to pay retail--but anything for my little guy! Got home, looked it up--and it was only 10 at amazon shipped with no tax, and cheap used on ebay. Balls! If anyone in semass/RI area reads this--feel free to PM me if you want to work together on deals. I can check my area nearly daily--and hide nothing. I can purchase sets for other locals when deals are found and sell for what I paid---if you can do same. Or even message each other when deals are found. Just looking to get deals for my son--and put away a few beautiful favorite sets for either sale--or surprises when/if I ever have a grandson! Thanks for the great site! Mark<-off to ebay to get a few more minifigures from earlier series! Son LOVES these little guys!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've spent hours and hours every day looking over this site--reading everything! Very addicting! I have one new guy question---I was reading up on MOC type things--and was looking for ducks--as that is my sons favorite animal. I found a pair of mallard ducks--but didn't save the site--and can't find it now---I found another that is almost as nice as seen here: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxiaW5hcnlicmlja3N8Z3g6N2QyYTE5YmFjNWRiOTJiYQ My question--Is there a master sheet somewhere on line--to see what parts are called---like what is slope--what is 2x3 and 3x2---how these the nomenclature works on bricklink? Also--is there a way to find the largest brick link vendor? i see some pieces from one vendor, then a couple from another--that would take forever and cost a fortune with shipping to assemble all the pieces needed even for a small set. Thanks for any help!

Is there a master sheet somewhere on line--to see what parts are called---like what is slope--what is 2x3 and 3x2---how these the nomenclature works on bricklink?

I don't know of a master sheet on the web yet. You can browse through the catalog of parts on Bricklink and try finding parts that way or if you are looking for a specific piece and know of a set that has one, you could try looking up the set, view its inventory, and find the part that way if that makes sense.

is there a way to find the largest brick link vendor?

Not that I know of. At best you can browse the list of stores and see "Featured, "Highlighted" and "Honored" stores.

great intro! welcome aboard! your situation is very similar to mine and many others. as someone else has mentioned, we have all paid retail at some point or another. finding deals most certainly helps the bottom line and puts you into the black faster, but even at retail the right sets will still turn a profit if you are willing to let them appreciate long enough. personally, I like to stick to the "bread and butter" licensed themes and the tried and true city theme, and hold onto them for 2-3 years after eol. this hasn't disappointed me yet. if I can find an insane clearance deal then I will pull the trigger on other themes as well. good luck!

Welcome to the site Mark. If it's ducks you're after, Lego produced one a couple years back. It was a replica of one of the company's first wooden toys, and it was given to employees as a free gift. You can find one on ebay, just search Lego duck. Might be a bit pricy, though.

Weird: I'm also 38 with a four year old son. I started investing accidentally a couple of years ago by putting away a few sets for my then 2-year old son (Kingdom's King's Castle and Castle Medieval Market Place). These sets are now worth a bit more (I bought King's Castle at 80 and its worth about 190) and I'm planning on selling them instead of keeping them at this point. A word of advice: go slow! It takes a while to find deals and remember that there is risk involved. I'm sensing that there are A LOT of people that have very recently jumped into the lego investing world and the returns on investment for many sets isn't going to be what it has been in the past. Don't assume because certain similar sets or themes have done incredible in the past that they are going to necessarily do the same thing in the future. Play it slow. Look for deals. Don't quit your day job. Have fun. Think of this as something to help pay for some of the sets you want to keep yourself instead of something that is going to make you rich.

Oh my.....what I have I done!   Less than 2 weeks of picking up this hobby, and I have spent close to $2k!  This is ADDICTING!  I need to figure out a way to display our finished creations--the unopened sets we are saving--are easy to store in our closet compared to the build units.  We have them on our coffee table, dinner table, old repurposed train table, top of buffet---EVERYWHERE!  Hoping with the new site, people can post up how they display their favorite models--because we need to figure out something!

Oh my.....what I have I done!   Less than 2 weeks of picking up this hobby, and I have spent close to $2k!  This is ADDICTING!  I need to figure out a way to display our finished creations--the unopened sets we are saving--are easy to store in our closet compared to the build units.  We have them on our coffee table, dinner table, old repurposed train table, top of buffet---EVERYWHERE!  Hoping with the new site, people can post up how they display their favorite models--because we need to figure out something!

Ha ha, you certainly caught the fever quick...I've spent over 2K but it took me about 4 months. I have th same issue you do, roo many sets not enough space. The lady is starting to get pissy with me about it so I gotta figure out something too. Welcome to the forum!