Cobi, Star and Megablocks frustration.

Personally I don't like them. But has anyone looked into whether any of the off-brand sets appreciate in value after they retire? I have no idea on that, but maybe it should be considered.

The Halo Falcon set has more than doubled in value, and the original scorpion tank has almost quadrupled. Most of the sets are still available at retail, though. I don't think Mega Bloks has a semi- regular retirement schedule like Lego does, which makes them even trickier to invest in. Here's a set I'm certain will be a winner, and I'm probably going to build it soon:

http://www.megabloks.com/shop/construction-toys/halo/forward-unto-dawn/

Because patents are assigned for limited periods of time.

Emes is right. Patents last for only a certain number of years before they expire. (All U.S. patents filed before June 8, 1995, expire 17 years after they are approved and all new patents approved after that date expires in 20 years.) I read some information about the Lego patent(s) and it's been quite the fight. Megabloks was sued by Lego for violating Lego's trademark and Megabloks won. (Lego claimed their trademark included the bricks, the courts said patents, not trademarks, apply to bricks.) The final ruling was the 8-peg design of the original Lego brick "performs a technical function and cannot be registered as a trademark". Wikipedia.

Here's some information about patents from various websites.

Patents only last a certain number of years; when they expire, anyone can legally manufacture the product. What they can't do is use the trademark. As an example, think of companies that make theirown cola drinks to complete wth Coke and Pepsi - they can't call their product Coke or Pepsi, but everyone knows what the product is modelled on.....

Eurobricks.

Yes, the original LEGO patents expired decades ago, but they are always putting in newer patents on new designs for new bricks. If you go to the European Patent Office (EPO) website and search for patents with "lego" as the applicant, you can see them all, going back to 1976 or so. Here is a link for you.

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/searchResults?PA=lego&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP&ST=advanced&compact=false

For each patent, you can also click on the links under "also published as" to see additional images...

Brickset.

Lastly I found out some countries are more strict when it comes to enforcing patents. (Some countries have banned any Lego compatible bricks from being sold in the country while others don't do anything.)

Thanks for the lesson...so there's more to it than simply renewing it like a license or copyright.

The Halo Falcon set has more than doubled in value, and the original scorpion tank has almost quadrupled. Most of the sets are still available at retail, though. I don't think Mega Bloks has a semi- regular retirement schedule like Lego does, which makes them even trickier to invest in. Here's a set I'm certain will be a winner, and I'm probably going to build it soon:

http://www.megabloks.com/shop/construction-toys/halo/forward-unto-dawn/

Wow, that Forward Unto Dawn. Holy crap.

It makes me sad that Megablocks has the license for the Starcraft franchise... Why, Why? :(

I'm still waiting for images of actual sets besides the Terran Battlecrusier they did last year. Those and the Hot Wheels designs that were supposed to be out this year or at least that is what I heard. I guess Mega Bloks put all their effort into those Barbie sets. Yuck. :sick: I have bought a number of Mega Bloks and Kre-O/Oxford sets some years ago and really wish I just kept my money for Lego.

Mega Bloks does have its cool points but, man, were my fingers sore as heck after but a day of putting any set together. I didn't have any problem getting them to stay connected when completed; it's trying to get them assembled in the first place or back apart in the end that absolutely kills my fingers! I've broken more nails than anything. Sheesh.

I didn't have any problems with Kre-O though which doesn't seem too surprising considering the company, Oxford, has been doing their knockoff for a while but at least they are 'knocking off' Lego well. Ahh, I'm just not much for mixing brands in the end, so therein lies my downfall of collecting anything else but Lego.

On a relative note, I know of Cobi but who the heck is Star? I have not heard of that bootleg brand, I don't think.

Thanks for the lesson...so there's more to it than simply renewing it like a license or copyright.

Patents do have to be "renewed", but think of it more like a maintenance fee. In the US this happens at approximately 3, 7, and 11 years into the life of the patent. In other countries it's typically maintained annually.

Copyright is usually for creative works and expires after the author dies plus 70 years (for something you produce today).

Trademarks and Servicemarks are brand identifiers. I can see how LEGO would have sued the copiers based on trademark law, and ultimately lost that case because their design is a functional invention.

I'm still waiting for images of actual sets besides the Terran Battlecrusier they did last year. Those and the Hot Wheels designs that were supposed to be out this year or at least that is what I heard. I guess Mega Bloks put all their effort into those Barbie sets. Yuck. :sick: I have bought a number of Mega Bloks and Kre-O/Oxford sets some years ago and really wish I just kept my money for Lego.

Mega Bloks does have its cool points but, man, were my fingers sore as heck after but a day of putting any set together. I didn't have any problem getting them to stay connected when completed; it's trying to get them assembled in the first place or back apart in the end that absolutely kills my fingers! I've broken more nails than anything. Sheesh.

I didn't have any problems with Kre-O though which doesn't seem too surprising considering the company, Oxford, has been doing their knockoff for a while but at least they are 'knocking off' Lego well. Ahh, I'm just not much for mixing brands in the end, so therein lies my downfall of collecting anything else but Lego.

On a relative note, I know of Cobi but who the heck is Star? I have not heard of that bootleg brand, I don't think.

And don't forget the Viking:

Posted Image

Anyway, I think I will give them a chance when they are released, but still I'm dissapointed :(.