Pleygo - monthly rental service for Lego sets

jaisonline

It looks like a noble attempt, but it will fall short. Toys are not DVD's. I wouldn't like playing with a set that tons of people have used before. It would seem very sanitary (I'm sure they have thought of this). And plus, as an investor and collector, I like to display sets, and paying $15 a month would get pricey for one set (even though it already is).

Personally, from the time I was 5 years old, it wasn't just building the sets, but acquiring AS MANY LEGO BRICKS AS I COULD! This works against that principle and I believe many children(and adults), won't be happy giving them back. :coolcheese:

Some of those minimalist types will probably go for this, and it could be a good idea for the right kid, but this definitely isn't something I would do. I'm guessing there's probably a pretty stiff penalty for losing pieces. My kids are pretty good about keeping pieces in order, but I would get paranoid as hell about a single lost piece with a rental service like this. Plus it's pretty pricey at 25 bucks a month for an 800 pieces set.

I am building the Haunted Mansion right now with my wife. There is absolutely no shot that either of us would want to spend a few days building it to just dismantle it and ship it back. I am not saying it's a bad idea and will work for some, but the process is too annoying for me to want to go through all that trouble. I showed this to my wife and her first question was, "can you keep them when your done?". I said "That kind of defeats the purpose of the program". She said, "would you really be able to give it back?" If she is thinking like that, it's definitely not for us.

I was reading the FAQ and there is something that caught my attention. They comment that if a set is missing parts, you can contact them for replacement OR just fill out the Replacement Parts form on the official LEGO page and request Free pieces. Isn't that last thing only intended for people who open New sets and have 1 or a couple of missing pieces? Considering their sets will not be coming New in Box, then it's somewhat weird they make that recommendation. They also offer the option to purchase the set you originally rented if "your child loves the set" for MSRP.

They also offer the option to purchase the set you originally rented if "your child loves the set" for MSRP.

Interesting that they have retired sets and you are able to buy them at MSRP. I searched for all sets under the Mega Fan plan and they have the Taj Mahal, Green Grocer, & Eiffel Tower. It seems like you could buy these from Pleygo and resell them for a profit...even at used prices these sets are selling for a lot of money! The only downside in my mind would be if there are any missing pieces in these sets. I would only feel comfortable selling it if I was able to build the whole model first. I wonder how many copies of these retired sets they have.

There is no way they would let a in demand retired set go for MSRP......if so they are clueless :)

That's the big question: if they sell them, what price do they charge? I would assume they exempt retired sets from sale, but if they do then they charge a premium.

After a little digging, their "purchase" option is just a redirect to an Amazon site selling the set. So, if you would like to buy Taj Mahal, they're happy to help direct you to an Amazon third party retailer charging $2,049.99.

I agree, for a few people this would be the right thing but it won't really catch on. There are other toy rental services that still haven't caught on really well. This just killed me: "swap Lego sets instead of purchasing new ones and creating more plastic waste in the process." Those are my kind of people who I love to buy used legos from. Can I buy your "plastic waste" for pennies on the dollar?

What would they do if you rent a Taj Mahal and never return it. Legally could they only charge you retail?

They would likely charge you the replacement value of the set that they have linked to with the Amazon third party listing. I would guess that in the fine print of their rental agreement, they state that if you cancel your subscription and don't return a set within a set period of time, they are authorized to charge your CC the replacement value of the set. That could mean paying WAY more money than the set could be worth, and is not something I would try (not to mention the ethics of it).

I haven't even looked at the website because this is something that will never interest me. I don't wish it to fail though. I hope it works out for them.

I will admit, it is tempting to pay $40 just to build the Taj Mahal. I wouldn't have a place to display it anyways.

http://www.psfk.com/2013/05/lego-toy-rental.html

http://www.pleygo.com/

Just curious if anyone used this? The set seems to be getting some traction as even one of my wife's co-workers (an AFOL) uses it for his 4 yr old son) and I've been reading about it lately.

Hi, I actually signed up when the site was launched out of curiosity and received the first set today. I ordered a small Republic Striker-class Starfighter and it came pretty neat in a box and some spare parts. The set seemed to be new as some of the parts are in the original Lego aired bags.

I think this Pleygo site will be used primarily by average parents with little kids. Let's see how it works over time....