Just an idea: investment bracket

What would you guys (everyone in the forum, not just Ed and Jeff) think about doing some sort of Mega Poll to determine what is the best investment currently out there in the mind of all the members? I was thinking about setting up a bracket sort of like March Madness where some of the most popular sets out there would go against each other with voting open for a week or so on each "match" and the winner would advance to the next round until there is only one left: the best investment currently available as chosen by the members. Imagine doing a VC vs Helm's Deep, R2-D2 vs X-Wing, etc, etc. Just wanted to throw it out there in case there is interest on this. I of course would not ask Ed/Jeff to take time off their schedule to do this, I would be willing to do this myself. Also, it does not have to be immediate. Open forum, I would appreciate your feedback!

Fun idea, it'd obviously have to be with sets that are yet to retire. We can all learn a bit from it as well.

Right, that is my thinking. Only sets that have not been retired by the time it starts (if it ends up being done). Of course, I would need to hear from more people and Ed and Jeff as well to see what they think.

Also, those who vote that this would be fun but not useful, if you could please leave a comment about whether you would like to see this despite it not being useful to you.

I will leave this poll open and check it out over the following days. I will be sure by sunday if this is something I will be moving forward with and let you all know about the details on here by then!

Here's a bracket?

Beneath the B-Wing is supposed to be Grand Prix Racer. I tried to make a balance between themes.

Here's a bracket?

Beneath the B-Wing is supposed to be Grand Prix Racer. I tried to make a balance between themes.

That's pretty much what I had in mind, but it would include only the currently available sets, to see which one members think is the best investment at this point. Having said that, I really like that bracket and if we end up doing this first one, and it gets good feedback, we could definitely do a second one including both current and already retired sets to determine the best overall.

Here's a bracket?

That's pretty much what I had in mind, but it would include only the currently available sets, to see which one members think is the best investment at this point. Having said that, I really like that bracket and if we end up doing this first one, and it gets good feedback, we could definitely do a second one including both current and already retired sets to determine the best overall.

That's why I split the sides up. 32 New on the left, 32 Retired on the right. We see which one is the best from now and the past, and then they face off in a bloody battle. I think it would also be important to make sure that there is representation from all of the themes with major sets (No duplo), so basically automatic qualifiers. We could probably set up a vote for that. "Out of ****** theme, which set would you want represented in our bracket."

Sounds like a great idea. Having retail sets only is the best idea as we are wanting to find the best current investment, not the best set. Sure an EOL set can still be a great investment but the majority of sets people will be investing in currently will be retail available ones. How would you go about seeding the draw? You wouldn't want two heavy hitters coming up against each other in the first round. Maybe use review scores?

Sounds like a great idea.

Having retail sets only is the best idea as we are wanting to find the best current investment, not the best set. Sure an EOL set can still be a great investment but the majority of sets people will be investing in currently will be retail available ones.

How would you go about seeding the draw? You wouldn't want two heavy hitters coming up against each other in the first round. Maybe use review scores?

What do you think about Spener's idea about doing both things in only one bracket? The best current investment will come out of the left side of the bracket out of 32 LEGO sets currently available and then just for fun we will match it up with the best of the already retired at the end. OR do you just prefer to include only 64 currently available sets and maybe after do the retired match up just for fun?

The question is not for Grolim only, anyone can weigh in.

About the seeding, It's really hard to follow the reviews scores since not all of the sets have a lot of reviews at this point. Some of the most popular do, but certainly not all. I would try my best not to put a Haunted House vs Tower Bridge on the first round.

If you have any ideas about that too feel free to let me know.

What do you think about Spener's idea about doing both things in only one bracket? The best current investment will come out of the left side of the bracket out of 32 LEGO sets currently available and then just for fun we will match it up with the best of the already retired at the end. OR do you just prefer to include only 64 currently available sets and maybe after do the retired match up just for fun?

The question is not for Grolim only, anyone can weigh in.

About the seeding, It's really hard to follow the reviews scores since not all of the sets have a lot of reviews at this point. Some of the most popular do, but certainly not all. I would try my best not to put a Haunted House vs Tower Bridge on the first round.

If you have any ideas about that too feel free to let me know.

It's an interesting thought. But I think people may cloud the thinking with sets they like or sets that have been past stars, rather than sets for investment purposes at this point in time. You'd have old sets coming through like the MF or Cafe Corner, but are they really the best investment right now? Which I think was your initial question.

I think youre always gonna have heavy hitters duking it out in the first round, because basically every Lego set is awesome.

You're probably right there :-)

Using review scores may be difficult as there isn't a complete set of them there yet. But aren't Review Scores supposed to reflect what we as a community think of a set in terms of investment potential? You could choose scores for those who have X number of reviews submitted and randomise the rest. Or you could just randomise the whole lot, I'm not overly concerned as I think the cream will still rise to the top.

This would be fun and useful in a way. I just wonder how you could go about charting a "Vs" bracket to begin with. Similiar sized and priced sets? "The Best" of each theme? :-/

The bracket will more than likely be skewed towards largest sets, not because I plan to set it up like that, but just because those are the sets that produce the higher dollar gains most of the time and I think most people will be choosing a larger set when going against a smaller one. But, there is not really a way to prevent that, it might just mean that members think a larger set is the better investment.

I liked Grolim's idea about basing the seeding on the review scores, that has its limitations. Also, it would be possible to make a selection of two or three sets of each theme by polling the members. It will not be an exact science, but we will get an idea of what specific sets members like the most for investment purposes.

I will be start preparing the bracket, but needed to ask you guys a question. Would you like to see the same number of sets from each theme? The reason I ask is because, say we decide to have 3 from each current theme (just as an example), with themes like MF that might works, but when you go to the Modular theme then you will be leaving out one of them that may be considered more important than the Ghost Train, for example. Any suggestions? I'm shooting up for the standard 64 sets, 32 "matches" as the first round.