LEGO 10179 selling for over $7000 !

fartyarty123

It's very close to US dollars in conversion rate, though they pay a crap ton more for Lego than we do.

Yep, current rate is 1.00 AUD = 0.998137 USD so almost identical.

Was over 1.05 a month ago as well so has come down a bit (Australia central bank cut interest rates).

The other amazing thing is that AFTER charging 8 ***'s for the set, he then tacked on $250 for shipping as well, I cannot fathom a shipping cost that high. Surely he could have thrown in free shipping for that price. Here is an interesting thought, paypal made almost $250 off that transaction and ebay made almost another $1000, pretty amazing that they can get away with those kind of fees.

The other amazing thing is that AFTER charging 8 G's for the set, he then tacked on $250 for shipping as well, I cannot fathom a shipping cost that high. Surely he could have thrown in free shipping for that price.

Here is an interesting thought, paypal made almost $250 off that transaction and ebay made almost another $1000, pretty amazing that they can get away with those kind of fees.

The darn thing was SOLD. Obviously the $250 S&H was not a deal breaker for the buyer. What amazing was the $250 was for standard International postage, plus insurance was on the buyer. I would have sprung for Express mail just to be on the safe side.

As far as eBay and Paypal fees, it was not like they did not disclose the fees upfront. They delivered the service (item was sold) so they earned their fully disclosed fees. Sellers are always free to choose other selling venues offering less cut.

I don't think they are evil for making money, I'm just surprised that no one else has found a way to target that many people and charge less in fees. I remember when ebay used to charge much less in fees, it has gotten pretty crazy in the past few years. I highly doubt the set could have fetched that price anywhere else, it is still a bit mind boggling nonetheless to see how much of my profit can get taken by the listing site.

I don't think they are evil for making money, I'm just surprised that no one else has found a way to target that many people and charge less in fees. I remember when ebay used to charge much less in fees, it has gotten pretty crazy in the past few years.

I highly doubt the set could have fetched that price anywhere else, it is still a bit mind boggling nonetheless to see how much of my profit can get taken by the listing site.

I can't say noone tries, there are more than enough eBay clones out there. Most are charging less fees than eBay. None is as successful as eBay (yet?) in terms of variety of items, visitor counts, or the amount daily transactions. Many failed along the way

Building a brand recognition is hard. It took Amazon and its wealthy benefactors so many years in red before it became the name brand that it is today. Plus, any new auction sites need to compete with eBay, Amazon, and many others to get the foot traffics. At the end of the day, the higher the foot traffics, the more likely sellers sell their items for the price they want. It is easier said than done.

The darn thing was SOLD. Obviously the $250 S&**** was not a deal breaker for the buyer. What amazing was the $250 was for standard International postage, plus insurance was on the buyer. I would have sprung for Express mail just to be on the safe side.

As far as eBay and Paypal fees, it was not like they did not disclose the fees upfront. They delivered the service (item was sold) so they earned their fully disclosed fees. Sellers are always free to choose other selling venues offering less cut.

The seller didn't purchase insurance to cover himself on that big an item?!? Wow!

I'm not sure how everyone knows what's going on with some eBay auctions. If its not yours then its nothing but speculation.........steps off soapbox lol

true there. The 2 could have agreed on a different price, the buyer might not pay, no one really knows except them. Speculation can be fun though.