MINI FIG SERIES 10 INVEST OR NOT TO INVEST, This will be unopened packs to never be opened and for resale in the future,

MrGold

I would like to buy some un opened series 10 packs for resale in the future good idea or not?

First of all, welcome to BrickPicker. Now to answer your question....

If you have the financial means, I would buy a sealed box of Series 10 minifigures because the buyer doesn't know whether or not you already felt for Mr. Gold. Selling a sealed box will give them hope of finding the multi-hundred dollar minifigure, which would likely entice them to bid more. Unless you are planning on buying/selling complete series, which you should probably buy loose, I would stick to buying sealed cases.

Do you think the other individual figs will be worth anything in the future?

Yes, this one will have winners, like the Roman Commander and Grandpa, who are my favorites in the theme. Grandpa because the bald head is killer, and the Roman Commander because the Roman Soldier in a former series has done amazing, tripling in value. The Roman Soldier was an army builder, but for those of us who missed out on getting as many as we might have wanted, getting an army of the Roman Commander is a very close second.

Medusa and Sea Captain are my predictions on winners. They are both hard to find (2-3 per in a standard 60 ct. box) and insanely cool (Medusa has a double-sided face, Sea captain has awesome embroidery on his coat and hat and a unique seagull to boot).

While neither is an army builder (unless you're making a snake army, or a flock of seagulls (har har), I still think they'll be winners.

The problem I see with Roman Commanders from an army builder frenzy standpoint is that there are so many of them. 1/10th of a box will likely be Roman Commanders, whereas Roman soldiers were fairly uncommon in their series.

I may be wrong, though. A lot of people like the Trendsetter and the Librarian. I got the Librarian because my girlfriend wanted it, but I really only scooped up Medusa and Sea Captain from my local stores from a pure investment standpoint.

EDIT:

Ok, if I bought 5 packs tomorrow, should I open them? If I hit any of those including mr gold will they be worth as much opened?

Leave the bags sealed. Mr. Gold, on the chance you have him, you CAN and SHOULD open. Unlike the other minifigs, his parts come inside another separate, sealed bag. When you sell him you will have to prove your bag has him in it. Each Mr. Gold comes with an additional paper insert with an individual number out of 5000. You'd simply list your auction with a picture of this number and the bagged Mr. Gold.

Ok, if I bought 5 packs tomorrow, should I open them? If I hit any of those including mr gold will they be worth as much opened?

Inside the Mr. Gold bag is another bag that holds Mr. Gold. As long as you don't open the inner bag, it should retain value. For the minifigures that I buy, I open them because I want to make sure I am 100% sure of the contents. I think it is too easy to be deceived by the bags, so I don't see any problem with opening them.

I decided to stop buying the minifigs after series 9. Got too many and too many duplicates.

With all the excitement I think I may have made the wrong decision. ;)

Series 9 is what got me into the CMS theme. Before I thought it was a waste of time...plus, none of the stores around me had them except for the Lego Store who obviously have them. Series 9 was the first series I saw at a Target, so for kicks, I picked a few up, and have been picking them up ever since.

I actually don't think the minifigs are good investments. There are so many of them on ebay, pricing is very competitive. You pay 3.24 or so with tax, and the most you'll get on ebay is like 4 or 5, plus it costs almost 4 bucks to ship one, including materials and the dollar for tracking. Not too many ebay buyers are willing to pay over 7 bucks for your extra trendsetter. The ones i've sold, i've just managed to break even.

I feel like selling them back to places like Bricks and Minifigs might make you a better chunk back than selling online. The other problem with selling online while they're still in stores is that people feel like they can find what they want locally for cheaper than paying you for it. I bought a bunch of Series 10 from TRU because of the spend $40 get a $10 gift card situation. I felt like I was getting them all for less than average retail anyway. I also just bought a lot of them so I could feel them at home for the complete set and either return or resell the ones I don't want. Hopefully I don't get raked over the coals for talking about that method, but I just don't have 2 hours to stand there in the store and feel out all the packs. I do have 2 hours to feel them while sitting comfortably at home watching the kids.

I actually don't think the minifigs are good investments. There are so many of them on ebay, pricing is very competitive. You pay 3.24 or so with tax, and the most you'll get on ebay is like 4 or 5, plus it costs almost 4 bucks to ship one, including materials and the dollar for tracking. Not too many ebay buyers are willing to pay over 7 bucks for your extra trendsetter. The ones i've sold, i've just managed to break even.

Exactly why you never should sell only 1 minifig....

You should sell 10x roman commander or 5x tomahawk etc....

I think every tom, **** and harry will be buying series 10 on the off chance they get a Mr Gold and fob off all the extras/duplicates they get in the process of their fruitless search- I think this could lead to a glut in the after market - for that reason alone I am staying clear of series 10 other than to get the cool ones for myself but I'm not buying them off the shelf I'm waiting to get them cheap in the after market- could be wrong but I think the series may end up depreciating quicker than any of the others due to over supply !

I think every tom, **** and harry will be buying series 10 on the off chance they get a Mr Gold and fob off all the extras/duplicates they get in the process of their fruitless search- I think this could lead to a glut in the after market - for that reason alone I am staying clear of series 10 other than to get the cool ones for myself but I'm not buying them off the shelf I'm waiting to get them cheap in the after market- could be wrong but I think the series may end up depreciating quicker than any of the others due to over supply !

This exactly. In fact, I did this. Bought a sealed box, no mr gold... Sold the complete sets I could make as a lot then sold the individual ones off separately.

Guys I found some lose change in my bag and bought 3 medusa unopened 1 tomahawk unopened and 1 grandpa, though i'm not 100% certain of the grandpa should I open him? (will he be worth anything with grandma in the new set?)

Guys I found some lose change in my bag and bought 3 medusa unopened 1 tomahawk unopened and 1 grandpa, though i'm not 100% certain of the grandpa should I open him? (will he be worth anything with grandma in the new set?)

I had not even thought about selling the two characters, Grandpa and Grandma, as a pair. Could work in a wierd way. A sure piece to smoosh for with Grandpa is the 2x2 tile since he is the only one in the series to have one. His bald head is relatively easy to feel for with that toilet bowl haircut. The top is pretty smooth and then goes into the bumpy 'hair' that juts out. Feel all around that part as it may get confused with the skydivers helmet.

If you're still not 100% certain then just open it up. Buyers would rather have a sure thing than a "well it might be".

I opened it and it was aha! Oh well I think the pair will sell opened anyway. The buyer needs to be sure too. Should I leave Medusa in the packet? The tail is a dead give away. I also have an opened Tommahawk, I wonder if an army of 5 is worth the investment?

Also are mini figs still sellers on ebay without the bags? I have the instructions and I still have the bags but they are obviously damaged due to me cutting into them.

If you have taken the character as well as the other contents out of the bag then I do not see any reason to keep the empty bag at all. I can't think of a reason to do so.

As for the debate of selling opened versus sealed when it comes to Minifigures, it depends on the buyer and reliability of the seller. I prefer buying sealed even in the secondary market but make a point to read the overall feedback of the seller, and (much like everyone else) am wanting to just buy a specific character. So the point can be argued about whether to go sealed and rely on the sellers skill and reputation, or go opened and get the one I want for sure but worry about the condition (and smell) it is in.