How many LEGO sets do you own personally? For investment?

Just curious about the diversity of the LEGO sets we all own here that are our own personal collection and that are for investment. (if you only do Minifigures or MOC's include those in our discussion) Including my 4 children (somehow they mixed up my sets with theirs - the little boogers) we personally have to total of approx. 60 sets. Mostly Star Wars, Ninjago and Friends with a mixture of City. Investing wise I rotate from 250 to 300 sealed and loose sets. It depends on what is moving at the time. I have mostly Star Wars, Harry Potter, Friends, Ninjago, City, Super Heroes, CMF's and Modulars. (with a splatter of a few other themes here and there) By far I have more investment sets than personal and its getting harder and harder for me and the kids to keep our grubby hands off.

I have about the same (for now). It's a toss up which pile will grow faster... we like to play with them just as much as investing. :) Though my investment sets are worth more money, the value is probably equal as we've bought quite a few parts and loose figures from Bricklink... though my 5 year old's minifig collection is worth more than the adult collection!

I've amassed 40 sets since starting in november. About a third are open and displayed. I wish i had more pieces to play with, but i spent my budget buying all the sets i'd missed out on, and of course i paid well over retail for them. My ucs snowspeeder is the jewel of my collection, though :)

I've amassed 40 sets since starting in november. About a third are open and displayed. I wish i had more pieces to play with, but i spent my budget buying all the sets i'd missed out on, and of course i paid well over retail for them. My ucs snowspeeder is the jewel of my collection, though :)

Big money! Ucs snow speeder is a great set. Since im saving for a house/wedding my personal collection hasn't gotten to out of hand, only about 20 large/small sets.

I'm split just about even, with 18 sets that I've built or plan to, and 19 still sealed for investment. Since I only started last month, that seems like a lot! (Let me know when you guys get that support group started! lol) I don't draw a strict line, though, between building and investing. I got back into Lego to have sets to build and display. I rationalize the expense by telling myself that when and if I ever get tired of a set, I can always sell it in the future, probably for more than I paid for it. The investment sets I bought after finding this site.

I'm a bit scared to know how much is out there. Judging from how many people have been signing up for brickpicker and the amount of comments such as "I've only been doing this a few months" there a a lot of people out there doing this compared to just last year. I only have 20 investments sets (mostly big) but I'm worried that the return on them isn't going to be what they were in the past b/c the market is going to be flooded.

My investment sets are in my brickfolio and totally separate from my personal sets. My personal sets are not listed in my brickfolio. For personal, I have the bounty hunter cube-dude set from SW celebration V built and displayed on my desk at work. Those builds are awesome. The only other sets in my personal collection are 1 each of all LOTR and Hobbit sets, and I really only plan to display the figs and sell the bricks. I also have an unbuilt Brandenburg Gate that I bought on sale in memory of a trip I took to Berlin a few years ago. I will build it one of these days. I don't count my kids' sets. They have some good sets plus a ton of SW and Ninjago figures. Plus, its just too much to count.

I'm just about exactly 50/50 opened vs. investment. I keep both in the brickfolio because if a used set is sold, it is probably money that is going towards a new set for investment, so this way I know my overall worth of the collection. I suppose I could have 2 brickfolios, and have a used/play folio and a Sealed/investment folio, but that would be too much hassle. I usually acquire used sets through buying lots, and keep a set that my son thinks is cool, and sell off the rest. So I'm making money both ways, raising cashflow and investing back into the portfolio. Preferably, I can keep my cash reserve at the same level all the while increasing my portfolio worth, at least that's what I'm trying to do right now. This holiday season will be my first shot at getting sets out the door, so it will be exciting to see some money coming back in, as I've pretty much just been hoarding new sets so far. My only sales for the most part have just been used sets from lots or our collection.

Guest ph4tb0i

I would say I'm probably 40% personal and 60% investment. The problem is that I don't think the 60% will ever generate enough profit to cover the 40% lol.

I maintain a separate brickfolio for our family's personal collection, which now consists of 230 sets. it ranges from sets from the 80's that I had when I was a child, to current sets that my two children have. all are opened with instructions and most still have the boxes. my investment brickfolio consists of around 400 sets, all mint in box.

When I came out of the dark ages last year I started buying up castle sets because thats what I wanted for my personal collection. Had to pay the price for a few of the older ones, but got some good deals on CL as well that helped balance out some of the damage. It's just a shame I didn't also grab every Queen Anne's Revenge and Hogwart's castle I saw too, but I really had no concept of investing then. Now I'm probably about 70-30, and buying more investment than personal. I'm up to about 20 unopened sets and the only thing I'm opening now is either the sets I buy for my kids or the LOTR because I wanted a full set of that for myself.

Since I got out of my dark ages in november last year I amassed about 120 sets! Only 4 sets I took fpr displaying, all other sets are for investments. Sounds crazy, but I like looking at my heavy-duty-shelf so that it makes me happy. All those sets in one big shelf 8). Greetings from Germany!

• 2 weeks later...

I have 83 sealed investment sets in my inventory at present. This usually fluctuates in the 80-100 range. I have another 37 used sets that I'm selling off made from a couple of bulk buys and my old Star Wars collection. 14 sets in my personal collection across all the LOTR sets and a couple of Star Warrs and Classic Space.

I have 3 open and built sets. Palace Cinema, The newest Tie Fighter and the newest X wing. I have a 100 or so MISBs stashed away for investment. My problem is this, small sets do not interest me. All my investment sets are large sets so needless to say space is an issue. I have gathered quite a few polys as well but I keep those numbers separate. About 60 or so, including at least one complete set of the SW brickmasters. Don't ask how much I paid for the clone turbo tank......its a touchy subject ;)

I came out of my dark ages last March with the release of the tabletop wargame Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack on Kickstarter. Because the game is played using player-built robots (frames) built to the 7plate scale (where a person is roughly microfig height), I didn't have much use for boxed sets. I placed a ton of BrickLink orders to get the small individual parts I needed to build my frames. It wasn't until recently that I found I could source LEGO boxed sets for cheap in my area and either flip them or buy them for investment to fund my habit and make some extra cash on the side. Right now I'm sitting on about 20 mint boxed sets along with some minifigures and polybags purely for investment. The only sets I have for display are Destiny's Bounty and Ghost Train, both of which are going to hang from the ceiling soon. The rest of my displayed stuff consists of my MFZ work. 30 or so frames spread across four companies, all of which I have on my Flickr page.