Brickfolio question

I just joined Brick Picker and I am really glad I found this site. I have been collecting Lego for a really long time. When I get a new lego set I open it up build and put it on my shelf. I don't really play with lego. I really like lego but I mostly display, not play with it. As I was adding sets to my brickfolio I noticed that if I say that they are used the value on my sets go down. All my Lego sets are in right out of the box condition. Would my sets be considered New or Used?

It's great that you found the site and joined. I am glad that you like it. Unfortunately the second you open that sealed box it is considered used. New means Mint in Sealed Box (MISB). If you open the box, the packages, etc it is no longer considered new. This is much like buying a brand new car. The second you drive it off the lot, you lose thousands of dollars of value. It will never be considered new again :(

@Legogreg22 - I guess thats the price you pay for having the fun in actually building them, I have a large collection and would love to open them all and build and gutted that they have been in my possession and I know if it did open one the value would plumet! I don't know which is worse to be honest. you could buy 2 of everything, keep on MISB and build the other, but you'd soon run out of space. Anyhow as soon as we hit that big lottery win (Euro millions tomorrow with UK 100 millionaire draw) then I promised the kids we are straight in the loft, dragging all those Potter sets down and ripping them all open!

I would say the best method would be to buy 2, build one and put the other away. When you are bored with the built one, just sell it for the price you paid. I thought I was going to try this, but there is too many sets I like and I am lazy when it comes to selling. Oh, and I hate ebay.

@Legogreg22 - I guess thats the price you pay for having the fun in actually building them, I have a large collection and would love to open them all and build and gutted that they have been in my possession and I know if it did open one the value would plumet! I don't know which is worse to be honest. you could buy 2 of everything, keep on MISB and build the other, but you'd soon run out of space.

Anyhow as soon as we hit that big lottery win (Euro millions tomorrow with UK 100 millionaire draw) then I promised the kids we are straight in the loft, dragging all those Potter sets down and ripping them all open!

You'd run out of space and money! Some of these Lego sets are really pricey.

I have one new Lego 10185 in a sweet pristine box and my wife and I look at it every day and go "what if we build it now and forget about the benefits" but then we go "no way" hahaha.

I'd love to buy 2 of each set but I have a house to furnish and according to my wife, Lego boxes do't do the trick.

• 6 months later...

I joined BP a couple of months ago, and I like the Brickfolio concept for storing my set data, but I noticed that it shows a full year of values, even though I've only had my sets entered since Dec '12. This made me realize that what it's really showing me is the value, in each of the last 12 months, of the collection that I have right now, not what I had during each of those months. In fact, as far as I can tell, BP does not maintain any history of acquisitions and divestitures in my Brickfolio. (There is space for me to enter buy and sell dates for each entry, but I don't believe that data is used to actually anywhere to reconstruct historical Brickfolio contents.) That's very misleading, if someone is looking at the graph of his Brickfolio and thinking that it has some relation to the value of his investment over time. I saw another thread on this topic where it was mentioned that, if you assume that proceeds from a sold set would be reinvested, they would then be reflected in the Brickfolio, so that would mitigate distortion of the graph, but that doesn't really address the issue. For example, say I bought two Maersk trains a year ago, for $110 each. My Brickfolio graph would show a pretty flat line at around 220, right up until two months ago, and then a nice spike up. Now I sell them both for $185 each, and buy a new Death Star. Suddenly my Brickfolio shows a value of roughly $380-400 for the whole year - no indication that I had a pretty good return for the year. I know that keeping Brickfolio history and generating graphs that reflect the value of sets actually owned in each month would be a huge and difficult change, but if you're presenting this as an "investment" oriented site, I really think the Brickfolio graph as it currently works is inadequate, and as I said, potentially very misleading. Having said that - still a great site, and I love the value tracking done for individual sets, as well as the wealth of reviews, articles, sale announcements, and other info! Thanks, -djm