Walmart Digital LCD Price Tags - Spotted in store.

Achilles

Soo, I haven't seen anyone else mention this, please let me know if they have - But I stumbled into a WalMart today that had these "beauties" throughout the store: (Specifically, I am referring to the LCD tags, Kohl's/Macy's style - not the LED bars underneath.

image.thumb.jpeg.36c652410421d0472fce211210041a23.jpeg

Including the Toy section. I chatted with one of the employees, and the prices and such will automatically update, so they no longer have to replace tags. Obviously, this will take some of the advantage away from us who know and share what the prices are ahead of time. No idea how it will handle Clearance items, or if they will still stick Clearance Yellow Tags on the shelf next to clearance items to draw attention to them, as they certainly aren't as "eye grabbing" as the yellow clearance tags among a sea of white.

I assume they are simply experimenting with them, as it seems a rarity thus far. It seems like it has to be staggeringly expensive for the store to undertake. Had to have been tens of thousands of the little buggers all told. Also seems to be some work to relocate all of them when the POG gets reset and whatnot, as opposed to simply tearing out the old tags and putting in the new ones. But we will see.

Any of you out there seeing these as well? Any thoughts/experiences with them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Achilles said:

Soo, I haven't seen anyone else mention this, please let me know if they have - But I stumbled into a WalMart today that had these "beauties" throughout the store: (Specifically, I am referring to the LCD tags, Kohl's/Macy's style - not the LED bars underneath.

Including the Toy section. I chatted with one of the employees, and the prices and such will automatically update, so they no longer have to replace tags. Obviously, this will take some of the advantage away from us who know and share what the prices are ahead of time. No idea how it will handle Clearance items, or if they will still stick Clearance Yellow Tags on the shelf next to clearance items to draw attention to them, as they certainly aren't as "eye grabbing" as the yellow clearance tags among a sea of white.

I assume they are simply experimenting with them, as it seems a rarity thus far. It seems like it has to be staggeringly expensive for the store to undertake. Had to have been tens of thousands of the little buggers all told. Also seems to be some work to relocate all of them when the POG gets reset and whatnot, as opposed to simply tearing out the old tags and putting in the new ones. But we will see.

Aldi recently upgraded it's stores with these and it's really nice. I was actually in a store when they were doing it which was a pain, but it seems brilliant, prices just get updated centrally. Though plebes actually knowing how much stuff costs will indeed cut into some of my scores.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2023 at 9:54 PM, Achilles said:

For retailers, this innovation is transformative. When I worked in retail after college, planograms (or POGs) were incredibly time-consuming. Every item and its position on the shelf was meticulously planned. However, in execution, aligning stickered labels (to the left of each item) was a massive challenge. Missing just one item on a 40-80ft shelf could disrupt the entire alignment of labels.

The smart labels with shelf sliders, as shown in the first photo, offer a significant advantage. While they don't address the problem of missing items, they provide flexibility. Store associates can now adjust the label positioning when missing stock appears, without the hassle of peeling off and re-sticking traditional labels. This is crucial because, in the past, misaligned or omitted labels meant the replenishment team might overlook placing items on the sales floor. This often resulted in items being put in the backroom rather than on the shelf.

The second innovation, the smart shelf (shown in photo #2), directly tackles the issue of missing items. During a shelf reset, this technology automatically arranges labels in the correct order and with perfect spacing for each item, regardless if items are missing during the reset. For store associates, this is revolutionary. Now they don't have to build a POG with instructions and labeled stickers -- they only have to place products to the left of the designated electronic label. They become shelf-stockers, not label tinkerers which could take weeks, no joke

What does all this mean to a BP'er? New products will make it to the floor asap, shelves will be full throughout the season, and we don't have to B about the dang price-checking apps not working anymore because we'll have real-time pricing integrity. How they handle clearance will be interesting though. They could easily do the same with a Clearance POG electronic shelf section, but this season they did keep a majority of clearance in-line with the original POG rather than another section -- at least at my stores. 

• Like 1