Minifigures Plus - LEGO Marvel Series 2 Collectible Minifigures (71039) Pre-Order

MinifiguresPlus

I worked on the other side of retail, so I'm getting a big kick out of this.

If we're going to lock up Timmy for fast-tracking his treasure hunt, then let's lock up Grandma for removing the bedding item from its plastic so she can "see it" (properly displayed on the store floor), Jhonny who needs to "confirm" the widget is the right size (the exact size was displayed on the now ripped up box), or short foot Freddy who grabs the pair 9's but switches one out for an 8.5 (this is such a gray area).

In all the cases above, it was impossible to get those items back in the box properly, and they would always wind up being clearanced. We simply called this "The Cost of Doing Business" in retail and it seemed like the vendor and customer always won.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain_Obvious said:

I worked on the other side of retail, so I'm getting a big kick out of this.

If we're going to lock up Timmy for fast-tracking his treasure hunt, then let's lock up Grandma for removing the bedding item from its plastic so she can "see it" (properly displayed on the store floor), Jhonny who needs to "confirm" the widget is the right size (the exact size was displayed on the now ripped up box), or short foot Freddy who grabs the pair 9's but switches one out for an 8.5 (this is such a gray area).

In all the cases above, it was impossible to get those items back in the box properly, and they would always wind up being clearanced. We simply called this "The Cost of Doing Business" in retail and it seemed like the vendor and customer always won.

It's all wrong to me, lock'em up, Grandma too. :(

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2023 at 1:17 PM, spener90 said:

I’m not trying to justify this, but let’s just entertain why someone might do this. No more smooshing ability means if you don’t know other routes you could be stuck making purchase after purchase attempting to complete a set. Or, you instead just open them up to narrow the odds.

I’ve always found the mini figures in this format lame and sinking to a low level. It invites nefarious actions to collecting them, since it’s not as easy as go to store and buy the ones you want.

They've been packaging sports cards the same for 70 years. Maybe this happens in this genre, too, now.

Either way, retail theft is paid for by honest people, in some manner or another.

3 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

They've been packaging sports cards the same for 70 years. Maybe this happens in this genre, too, now.

Either way, retail theft is paid for by honest people, in some manner or another.

In my experience anytime a collectible card series sees demand they are sold behind the counter though. I can't remember seeing desirable cards sold on endcaps.

Edited by Unionize Pokemart

15 hours ago, Unionize Pokemart said:

In my experience anytime a collectible card series sees demand they are sold behind the counter though. I can't remember seeing desirable cards sold on endcaps.

Probably now. But during the rookie card craze in the mid 80's, I never saw cards (even the harder to find brands) behind the counter, or opened packs on the shelves. I guess normalizing crappy behavior becomes normal behavior. (broken window theory in action)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iahawks550 said:

Probably now. But during the rookie card craze in the mid 80's, I never saw cards (even the harder to find brands) behind the counter, or opened packs on the shelves. I guess normalizing crappy behavior becomes normal behavior. (broken window theory in action)

U didn’t see anything but with your own eyes in the 80s.  No digital camera smartphone internet.  Oh, it was great.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, cladner said:

U didn’t see anything but with your own eyes in the 80s.  No digital camera smartphone internet.  Oh, it was great.

I think the biggest scam was searching packs of cards (where you could see the top and bottom cards) and pulling out your list of card order, to get the cards you wanted.

3 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

or this was always normal behavior (in some stores) but now w/ the internet and social media; it's all exposed and over discussed.

• Like 1