76417 - Gringotts™ Wizarding Bank – Collectors' Edition

Pseudoty

1 hour ago, BrickStanley74 said:

Looks awesome...except for the stupid sticker - and its very namesake -  "GRINGOT TS BANK." That is just gonna bug the hell outta me lol. 

Just looked at that after your post, easily fixable with an exacto knife and placing the stickers across the 2 curved elements. They have to do it this way in case someone wants to use those elements in another way one day I guess. 

I want to know what this is as it is mentioned twice in the set description:

including Bellatrix’s vault, which has a magical surprise inside! 

I am not a HP fan so no clue but could it be a surprise minifig like Diagon has? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

I want to know what this is as it is mentioned twice in the set description:

including Bellatrix’s vault, which has a magical surprise inside! 

I am not a HP fan so no clue but could it be a surprise minifig like Diagon has? 

I'm assuming this doesn't require a spoiler alert since the books have been around forever, but in the books (and I believe the movie was true to this) Harry and Hermione were looking for a horcrux in the vault - a chalice I believe.  But when they touched it, or when it touched something, it duplicated itself again, and again, and again...  Maybe they'll try to reproduce that scene somehow?

• Like 1

My unsolicited 2 cents:

Somehow this is both impressive and disappointing at the same time. Maybe I’ve just spent too much time with crazy MOCs that aren’t really accessible for the average builder, or aren’t realistic for mass production, but I was hoping for something different. Don’t get me wrong, the technique and level of creativity is impressive, but somehow it’s an easy pass for me. 

I’m a modulars guy, and if I were designing this I would make it modular, with the underground/vaults on the “ground floor” of a 4 story modular. One of the things that stands out to me the most about Gringotts in the movies was the endless rows of vault doors... this model does not capture that, due to its spiral/open concept.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fatbrickfromfl said:

My unsolicited 2 cents:

Somehow this is both impressive and disappointing at the same time. Maybe I’ve just spent too much time with crazy MOCs that aren’t really accessible for the average builder, or aren’t realistic for mass production, but I was hoping for something different. Don’t get me wrong, the technique and level of creativity is impressive, but somehow it’s an easy pass for me. 

I’m a modulars guy, and if I were designing this I would make it modular, with the underground/vaults on the “ground floor” of a 4 story modular. One of the things that stands out to me the most about Gringotts in the movies was the endless rows of vault doors... this model does not capture that, due to its spiral/open concept.

Keep hope alive, per brick fanatics GWP 40598 Gringotts Vault will connect to it. Plus there is this:

But I get it if you display it Modular then what do you do with the base  

IMG_1381.jpeg

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This looks like they are just trying to capture the concept of the ride through/to the vaults with a few bits of the space in the movies?  Otherwise the whole space feels very unfinished for what it really is.  To me the pillars on the front don't seem movie accurate either where they've mixed up some of the directions they are leaning, but maybe this was restricted by the build.  I want to love it, but honestly wish I could just get the top half (actual bank) at an MSRP of $199-$229.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would rather have a $250-300 Gringotts with dragon to display with Diagon as it is intended than this. Yes, it is an amazing design and build but what do you do with the bottom section unless you want to display it as an individual set. Just like this years Nijango city set it doesn’t look its best as a stand alone set. 

Interesting that he couldn’t get the “Surprise” function to work. 

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

I would rather have a $250-300 Gringotts with dragon to display with Diagon as it is intended than this. Yes, it is an amazing design and build but what do you do with the bottom section unless you want to display it as an individual set. Just like this years Nijango city set it doesn’t look its best as a stand alone set. 

Interesting that he couldn’t get the “Surprise” function to work. 

I like where LEGO is going with these unusual designs. I think you said 'groundbreaking' before, and that's the best way to sum it up with Gringgotts and Batcave Shadow Box -- I want to see LEGO continuing to push the limit. Now groundbreaking doesn't necessarily mean good lol, but eventually something good will come out of these experiments. Can't help but think LEGO Masters has forced them to level up. I'm hoping they apply the experiment to the Animated Batman skyline set I've been hearing about.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Captain_Obvious said:

I like where LEGO is going with these unusual designs. I think you said 'groundbreaking' before, and that's the best way to sum it up with Gringgotts and Batcave Shadow Box -- I want to see LEGO continuing to push the limit. Now groundbreaking doesn't necessarily mean good lol, but eventually something good will come out of these experiments. Can't help but think LEGO Masters has forced them to level up. I'm hoping they apply the experiment to the Animated Batman skyline set I've been hearing about.

Agreed, but imagine if the new modular for 2024 has a full furnished basement it could look and be an amazing build for $350 but for those that just want to display it with the other modulars they would probably appreciate a $229 option. For those of us that just want to display Gringotts as part of Diagon alley they are “forcing” us to spend more on something we don’t need and probably will never use. I would have preferred a second smaller building but they can’t make everyone happy and appreciate the outside the box approach. 

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Agreed, but imagine if the new modular for 2024 has a full furnished basement it could look and be an amazing build for $350 but for those that just want to display it with the other modulars they would probably appreciate a $229 option. For those of us that just want to display Gringotts as part of Diagon alley they are “forcing” us to spend more on something we don’t need and probably will never use. I would have preferred a second smaller building but they can’t make everyone happy and appreciate the outside the box approach. 

You'll get your $229, $169, $109, $59, $19, GWP, and Reward option eventually -- given this is LEGO. They'll make everyone happy for a buck. As they should. They are a for-profit business and I personally forget this often.  

• Like 1

Interesting to note that this set is limit 3 during VIP early access when usually the more expensive D2C sets it is 1 or 2. Well Jay from Jays Brick Block had reported that when he got to tour Lego Headquarters last fall that this set was done and ready to go but Lego delayed it because they thought it would cannibalize sales of another set, can’t remember which one at this time. Jay and another LAN member got to play with it and had to keep this secret with no leaks for a year, what a test. So they may have a lot of these on hand perhaps with older seal code dates. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Interesting to note that this set is limit 3 during VIP early access when usually the more expensive D2C sets it is 1 or 2. Well Jay from Jays Brick Block had reported that when he got to tour Lego Headquarters last fall that this set was done and ready to go but Lego delayed it because they thought it would cannibalize sales of another set, can’t remember which one at this time. Jay and another LAN member got to play with it and had to keep this secret with no leaks for a year, what a test. So they may have a lot of these on hand perhaps with older seal code dates. 

I made a couple orders to get the GWPs. Some decent sales on retiring HP stuff to meet the threshold.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...