43222 - Disney Castle

melting

New one has 757 more pieces, 3 more minifigures, cost $50 more, PPP is $0.05 less, is 2.5" taller 4" wider and 1" deeper, not sure about the stickers those look like 3 large stickers like Rivendell uses. 

I like the base better with the "grass and water" look rather than the grey concrete. Will have to see it in person to see how the Flesh tone nougat looks. Then of course the build, the older version was a great build except I did not like the large metallic stickers  used to make the appearance of bricks, they have been replaces with real Lego brick elements. 

Not sure why they did not include Belle and Beast since that is part of the build again. 

Edited by Pseudoty

6 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

New one has 757 more pieces, 3 more minifigures, cost $50 more, PPP is $0.05 less, is 2.5" taller 4" wider and 1" deeper, not sure about the stickers those look like 3 large stickers like Rivendell uses. 

I like the base better with the "grass and water" look rather than the grey concrete. Will have to see it in person to see how the Flesh tone nougat looks. Then of course the build, the older version was a great build except I did not like the large metallic stickers  used to make the appearance of bricks, they have been replaces with real Lego brick elements. 

Not sure why they did not include Belle and Beast since that is part of the build again. 

all what you said is good

I can just say though in reality I have been to Disney World enough times to know that the real castle is grey concrete around it for as far as the eye can see lol at least that is what my feet feel like after walking around it multiple times each visit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The first version feels truer to the original real world theme park representation of Cinderella's Castle at Magic Kingdom while the latest one is almost cartoony in its colors closer to Sleeping Beauty's Castle at Disneyland, I believe. If one were to keep all the pearl gold and blue bits on the new one then replace everything else with plain white parts, it would be fairly close to the Disney Castle from Kingdom Hearts.

These are mostly the same model featuring a different palette both being very striking. I do love sand blue as a color and wished it was used more often. Alas such is still rare. I saw an image of a TIE fighter in sand blue. What a contrast from "ho-hum" gray. I would say the base for the new castle is more interesting than the prior, and the included minifigures are characters you might see walking about the park. (With the exception of Gaston who is one of the more entertaining performers in my opinion.)

2 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

The first version feels truer to the original real world theme park representation of Cinderella's Castle at Magic Kingdom while the latest one is almost cartoony in its colors closer to Sleeping Beauty's Castle at Disneyland, I believe. If one were to keep all the pearl gold and blue bits on the new one then replace everything else with plain white parts, it would be fairly close to the Disney Castle from Kingdom Hearts.

These are mostly the same model featuring a different palette both being very striking. I do love sand blue as a color and wished it was used more often. Alas such is still rare. I saw an image of a TIE fighter in sand blue. What a contrast from "ho-hum" gray. I would say the base for the new castle is more interesting than the prior, and the included minifigures are characters you might see walking about the park. (With the exception of Gaston who is one of the more entertaining performers in my opinion.)

truer to the original,  but the new one is truer to the current repainted version

8 hours ago, ravenb99 said:

truer to the original,  but the new one is truer to the current repainted version

Agreed.  The original was painted that way for almost 50 years and only changed around 2019. 

However, according to the article below, it looks like all Disneyland castles around the world, except Hong Kong, which has a multi-princess theme, match the new set's color scheme.  It'll be curious which will sell better based on member berries. 

https://www.wdw-magazine.com/disney-castles-around-the-world-the-history-inspiration-and-whats-inside-them/#:~:text=There are six Disney castles,Cinderella Castle at Tokyo Disneyland

Edit: I do wish we could see the original color scheme in the new design.

Edited by exracer327

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, mplsabdullah said:

I forget. Was the last castle only at Lego and Disney or was it at all the major retailers?

Only LEGO and Disney.  And I don't think it was ever on sale.  Most of mine were acquired through the years at full price on disneystore.com -- they claim to have a limit, and I've hit it on other non-LEGO merchandise in the past, but once a month seemed to be OK.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Years ago it was 20% off a few times at Shop Disney and more recently around the same discount at Zavi. 

I forgot about my Zavi purchases. After getting mine shipped in garbage bags with a resulting box sizes reduced in direct proportion to the sale price, I never ordered from Zavi again.  

Started this yesterday almost 7 years after building the previous version and so far the build is very similar. 

ETA: 3rd picture is @ravenb99 build of the OG at the same point.

Bag #1 (4 Bags) and Bag #2 (2 Bags) all together there are 25 numbered bags most with 2.

3 Instruction books that are not numbered and/or have a silhouette (like Rivendell) of what section you are working on. The white background paper makes it hard to tell some colors apart like Dark Blue tile vs plate. 

Minimal stickers but the big mirrored stickers are up next in Bag 3 I believe. 

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

20160813_221425.jpg.92387c91dd08f5fc6bf94a895361890b.jpg

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Started this yesterday almost 7 years after building the previous version and so far the build is very similar. 

ETA: 3rd picture is @ravenb99 build of the OG at the same point.

Bag #1 (4 Bags) and Bag #2 (2 Bags) all together there are 25 numbered bags most with 2.

3 Instruction books that are not numbered and/or have a silhouette (like Rivendell) of what section you are working on. The white background paper makes it hard to tell some colors apart like Dark Blue tile vs plate. 

Minimal stickers but the big mirrored stickers are up next in Bag 3 I believe. 

c'mon you can't be called the thumb and show off gratuitous big toe as well.   Next you'll be showing us another 2" of growth.

hard to believe that was 7 years ago.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1