Will The New Star Wars Movies Devalue Clone Wars Sets?

Blackjack

Here is a quote from a previous thread.

Will be a possitive I think.

I will however make sure I get rid of anything connected to clone wars. Secondary market of KFOLs will diminish IMO.

Should investors sell their Clone Wars baggage before the release of the new movies, or will returns just depend on the specific sets invested in? I can definately see the older CW sets holding their value, but most of the newer ones are less iconic, and should be readily available at relatively low prices for quite some time because of the hightened awareness of Lego investing, and the influx of new investors.

Ok.... So just where I am coming from I don't think it will be an overnight switch by any means, but I do think that the more recent clone wars sets will not see as high of growth as some of the earlier sets. I am basing this off of pure speculation that clone wars has a much larger kid audience than adults. Couple that with the series now being cancelled and sets like malevolence scare me off compared to sets like JP, Mines of Moria, or VC.

Ok....

So just where I am coming from I don't think it will be an overnight switch by any means, but I do think that the more recent clone wars sets will not see as high of growth as some of the earlier sets.

I am basing this off of pure speculation that clone wars has a much larger kid audience than adults. Couple that with the series now being cancelled and sets like malevolence scare me off compared to sets like JP, Mines of Moria, or VC.

Malevolence was truly terrible.

Ok....

So just where I am coming from I don't think it will be an overnight switch by any means, but I do think that the more recent clone wars sets will not see as high of growth as some of the earlier sets.

I am basing this off of pure speculation that clone wars has a much larger kid audience than adults. Couple that with the series now being cancelled and sets like malevolence scare me off compared to sets like JP, Mines of Moria, or VC.

(I'm assuming by Clone Wars you mean the TV show and the clone sets from Ep. 2 and Ep. 3.)

The Malevolence isn't that great of a set. (There has certainly been better ones.) Clone Wars sets like the up and coming Republic Gunship and the AT-TE are probably going to do well like their past remakes on the secondary market because they are just great sets IMO. Gauging the whole Clone Wars theme is hard and we will just have to watch how the sets fair over the next couple of months or years.

I agree it has more of a kid audience than an adult one. The good side of this is these kids might grow up and want the sets of the vehicles they saw in the Clone Wars episode(s). I also know of adults who used to regularly watch the show too so it depends on who you talk too.

All in all I don't think the Clone Wars sets will completely flop. Some sets will just do better than others.

I'm not a huge fan of the ones from the TV show. The Padme minfigures make her face look like a bulldog puppy. Most of the minifigures from this set are just creepy looking. Maybe I should fit them in a monster fighter theme for Halloween? I'm iffy about their potential BUT you never know. I may stash a few sets away if I get them on a deep enough discount (50% minimum) and see if they grow. Who knows. I may be pleasantly suprised in a few years.

I disagree with a lot of the posts on this subject. Regarding the Clone Wars series - it did great, lots of adults loved it, & Lucas controlled the major outcomes within the show & the directions that the show took - so it is Star Wars & it is a shame that Disney pulled the plug the way they did. Lego won't release the details, but I would bet that the Clone Wars series related Lego sets have been outselling the Original SW Movies ones. Most Lego aged buyers can relate to the Clone Wars series much more than the original movies. Plus, consider the shelfspace that stores commited to the Clone Wars sets, compared to the movies. As far as the new Movies devaluing the sets - I don't think that will happen, but the fact that the series is no longer on will have an impact on values. You won't have that must have reaction from fans that need to have the new set/character from the show. On the positive side, if there are no more rereleases from the series (sets & minifigs), that will also help to increase values. Also, since the consensus here is so negative - you won't have investors hoarding the sets (which will make it easier to get a premium, when selling).

If anything, the new movies will bring more interest back to all EOL sets. The quality of the movies will determine how long that interest / demand will sustain.

If a TCW TV based set is shown in the new movies, watch out. ...especially for sets never refreshed.

It all depends in what timeframe the movies will be set...

and with Old actors rejoining movies I suspect we will have episodes that are AFTER defeat of the Emperor (The Return of the Jedi) so it is much more likely we will get models from ending episode improved than Clone wars models.

It all depends in what timeframe the movies will be set..

Not sure. i personally witnessed when TPM arrived after a long duration w/o SW movies, pretty much everything vintage increased in value due to demand regardless of supply. The same will prob occur in 2015 regardless if an older Princess Leia resembles a Hobbit or people / ships / droids from the prequels make an appearance. Nearly everything vintage Kenner and all Lego will be in-demand again (even the lackluster Clone Wars TV, AOTC, and TPM sets).

If anything, the 2015 movie will inject some much needed demand in our EOL (and near EOL) Clone Wars TV and prequel sets. Something needs to give them a kick in the buttocks to increase in value and there is nothing better than a new blockbuster SW film. Trust me here. Hold on to everything 1999 to 2013 SW Lego (especially those w/o refreshes and UCS) and then unload 1/2 of the junk sets (TCW, TPM, ATOC) before the 2015 movie is out 2-3 months, it is your call about when you sell the quality EOL sets (e.g. UCS, 6211). I would be weary of non-UCS refreshes though. E.g, if they make a new Sandcrawler or Cloud City) People with ample SW in their portfolio are gonna make a mint if they don't hold onto sets too long, Until then, lets just hope Lego keeps the building set biz away from Hasbro.

If anything, the 2015 movie will inject some much needed demand in our EOL (and near EOL) Clone Wars TV and prequel sets. Something needs to give them a kick in the buttocks to increase in value and there is nothing better than a new blockbuster SW film. Trust me here. Hold on to everything 1999 to 2013 SW Lego (especially those w/o refreshes and UCS) and then unload 1/2 of the junk sets (TCW, TPM, ATOC) before the 2015 movie is out 2-3 months,

it is your call about when you sell the quality EOL sets (e.***. UCS, 6211).

I would be weary of non-UCS refreshes though. E.***, if they make a new Sandcrawler or Cloud City)

People with ample SW in their portfolio are gonna make a mint if they don't hold onto sets too long,

Until then, lets just hope Lego keeps the building set biz away from Hasbro.

Whoa, TCW, TPM, and AOTC sets are "junk" sets? I sell as many of those as I do OT sets. Or maybe I just interpreted your comment wrong? Incidentally, one clone wars set I'm mailing out today, I made about 6 times what I paid for it. That's some expensive junk!

Whoa, TCW, TPM, and AOTC sets are "junk" sets? I sell as many of those as I do OT sets. Or maybe I just interpreted your comment wrong? Incidentally, one clone wars set I'm mailing out today, I made about 6 times what I paid for it. That's some expensive junk!

What was the set, and what did you pay?

Many are (in my opinion) for investing purposes. It's not Lego's fault. TCW, TPM, and AOTC movies / shows just are not considered in the same league as ROTS, ANH, ESB, and ROTJ. to some extent, a film's popularity does increase demand for movie spin-off items such as Lego.