Newbie with a bit of a find

Hi everyone. We recently had a passing in the family and whilst sorting out the estate we came across 3 presents still wrapped in a box. We opened them to see what they contained. 3 lego box sets from the late 60's early 70's un opened. They are lego system 120 train set, lego 687 aeroplane and lego system 033 basic set. We are intrigued by the possible value of these items. I know this site gives an approximate cost but where would i be able to get a valuation? Also the 033 basic set seems to be a bit elusive. Any help would be appriciated. Cheers Ben

Hi everyone. We recently had a passing in the family and whilst sorting out the estate we came across 3 presents still wrapped in a box. We opened them to see what they contained. 3 lego box sets from the late 60's early 70's un opened. They are lego system 120 train set, lego 687 aeroplane and lego system 033 basic set. We are intrigued by the possible value of these items. I know this site gives an approximate cost but where would i be able to get a valuation? Also the 033 basic set seems to be a bit elusive. Any help would be appriciated.

Cheers Ben

I went and looked on Bricklink for those sets. The following could be found:

Set 120 - No new for sale but used goes from $143 to $315.

Set 687- New and sealed $160+ and used anywhere from $5 to $55.

Set 033 - only 1 used for sale at $64

Your sets would all be near the upper end of those numbers I would think - as long as you can find a buyer. Yours are new and sealed correct?

yes they are all sealed and in order. I'm guessing they have been wrapped up as a Christmas present since the early 70's but never opened so they have not exposed to the air. My wife's relative worked for a company in Wrexham, North wales who made lego in the UK. I don't think we'd sell them but it was out of interest to see how much they were worth.

I am sorry for your loss. I am sure some of the older vets can help guide you to some numbers.

I am sorry for your loss as well. It must have been quite the moment to find those sets. It is very rare to find sealed sets from the 70's in great condition. (Your boxes look almost mint.) As far as value goes I bet Ed or Jeff could help you out. (I have no clue.)

Finding a light at a dark time. Thank you for sharing with us your tale and pics. It must have been very exciting to find wrapped presents and then to have such jewels inside. I wonder of their story. Who were they meant for? Why were they not sent? Umm I love a good mystery. Thank you again