Best LEGO investment short term move.

Ok guys, I have a trip to Hawaii in October that I want to make a bit of extra dough for. If I gave you a budget of $500-600 and you had to make it all back by then where would you put your money? I am not sure if the LotR sets will appreciate that quickly. But hey that's the question. I am leaning toward a bunch of Mines of Morias, but want your opinions.

SSD is NOT a quick flip investment it is very expensive now and we have no idea when it will EOL, it will go big a few years after it retires. As for getting money really quick for a trip, that is very tough to do, people that sell sets for quick profits tend to get them very cheap (think 50% or more off) and just sell them on ebay. Even still, you will need to do a lot of work to get that much money that quickly. Wanting to do this mid-year makes it extremely tough to do, if it was over christmas, I'd just grab a bunch of EOL'ing sets and sell them in 3 months for a 30% profit. The best investments will be sets that have already gone EOL that are still lurking in obscure stores, like the HP sets someone mentioned were in Florence KY the other day. Finding them will be tough but making $$$ when you do won't be hard. The LOTR sets will fetch a pretty penny later but I just don't know if they will rise that fast, they are probably a lot have been stockpiled by people who grabbed them cheap that will sell them right when it goes EOL and there will be a frenzy to grab it for near retail prices.

I don't really think there is one. The first thing that popped into my head was to get a part time job. That's personally what I would do if I wanted extra money guaranteed. All Lego investments are a gamble and not usually short term.

Haha I understand what you are saying... but I'm no where close to that point. I have seen some make nice profits in short periods of time. Even when I started a poll about secondary investment strategies... quite a few people said that they flip short term for quick profits. Plenty of sets have grown 20% in a six month period. IS was still available on some shelves back in Jan. Is has had plenty of growth since then.

Getting lucky on clearance at Walmart is the best option IMO. Will take some work, but you could probably flip 5-6 sets to get what you are looking for. Not sure the opportunity cost is worth it though.

Sadly this may be true.

Too bad too... I was hoping helms deep may be gone in june - july. I could see that picking up 20% in 3 months.

Finding a bunch of Hulk Helicarriers on WalMart clearance for half price and flipping them for a couple bucks cheaper than MSRP would probably work right around the time Iron Man 3 releases in theaters, because the Avengers hype will ramp up a little again. I remember reading that someone found these for half off in a Walmart somewhere. Too bad it never happens here.

I would go with Polybags...you would just have to push a lot of volume to make the money you want, but it's doable. I just stumbled into a bunch of 40035 Rocking Horses that I'm pretty sure I can make a decent profit on fairly quickly.

Getting lucky on clearance at Walmart is the best option IMO. Will take some work, but you could probably flip 5-6 sets to get what you are looking for. Not sure the opportunity cost is worth it though.

I have yet to see even ONE LEGO set on Walmart clearance. As you say, it is a matter of visiting several different stores and hoping at least one of them is doing a sale on those. Even then, I think that it is unlikely if the Walmarts around you don't usually select LEGOs to be on clearance.

Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, and/or Orc Forge? aren't those all supposed to be going out pretty soon? I don't know how fast modulars appreciate but I feel like you would be able to at least make and extra $50 within a month of them EOLing

I doubt we will see either the Fire Brigade or the Grand Emporium go very soon. Modulars seem to stick around for 4+ years. I would honestly say Helm's Deep is you best bet.

I doubt we will see either the Fire Brigade or the Grand Emporium go very soon. Modulars seem to stick around for 4+ years. I would honestly say Helm's Deep is you best bet.

There is no evidence as of yet that any modular will be available for more than 4 years as none have been. Cafe Corner just over 2 years, Green Grocer around 2.5 years, Fire Brigade is at 3.5 years and Grand Emporium is just over 3 years. Will the last two make it to 4 years? Possibly, but it isn't the norm by any means.

ebay volkswagen

you could buy 5 volkswagens and put them up on ebay for 175-200...few others went for that much and if u put them up for a few months they'll probably sell

This is a winner. Still can't believe ebayers are paying more than retail for this widely available set via online.

I own two but can't wait to buy a 3rd used for building.