Boxes and Shipping Question

chess227

I was wondering what general practices everyone used for shipping their items. I am curious if uline is the best place to get boxes or if people just generally reused boxes they get from places like Amazon. Uline's prices seem reasonable, but the quantities you have to buy are kind of steep. I guess if I end up going that route, I will just measure some of my boxes to find sizes that fit multiple sets. On the other hand, Amazon's boxes feel cheap and flimsy and I am not sure they would make it through 2 shipments without damaging the item inside. Just wondering what kind of luck others have had.

I was wondering what general practices everyone used for shipping their items. I am curious if uline is the best place to get boxes or if people just generally reused boxes they get from places like Amazon.

Uline's prices seem reasonable, but the quantities you have to buy are kind of steep. I guess if I end up going that route, I will just measure some of my boxes to find sizes that fit multiple sets. On the other hand, Amazon's boxes feel cheap and flimsy and I am not sure they would make it through 2 shipments without damaging the item inside.

Just wondering what kind of luck others have had.

Uline is awesome if you live close to one and can pick orders up at will call. Also, you really need to be doing enough volume for it to be worthwhile.

We use Uline plus whatever boxes we come into for free from various means.

One thing I know of some people doing that aren't super high volume is buying the quantity of boxes that Uline requires, and then selling smaller lots of those boxes on eBay at a profit. It will take a while to recoup the $, but it's an option.

What I'd recommend with Uline is take a look at the things you have, and try to identify as few box sizes as possible that will let you economically ship your items and then buy those. For example, we only keep 5 types of boxes in any significant amount for shipping. If something random comes up we probably have a big one from an order or can easily get one. The majority of the items that my wife sells fit in a 4x4x4 cube, so that's the one we have the most of at any given time.

If you are doing enough volume that buying in bulk from Uline is worthwhile, then you also need a label printer. The one we use is a Dymo 450 Turbo, but we have a couple of earlier Dymos as well. No ink/toner and no cutting labels. Assuming you're using PayPal, the label type is 99019. At the moment we buy those in enough quantity that our price per label is below .03, which is actually way less than you can do it for on many other printers.

• Like 1

I reuse a lot of boxes from Amazon and other places I receive orders from since they are coincidentally the right size to accomodate Lego sets ;). There are also hardware and grocery stores in my area that are happy to give away free boxes since it delays the time before their next cardboard pickup so it might be worth asking at places you travel on a regular basis.

Not an avid seller yet, but here is what I do. I get boxes from friends/family who are more than happy to give me their boxes from random home improvement projects and purchases. My dad also gets me boxes from work, and since he is sort of a boss where he works, people don't really question him. ;) Lastly, I get them from different purchases from both Amazon and other retailers, but mainly Amazon. I haven't bought any boxes in bulk from ULINE yet for a couple reasons: 1. I don't need that many boxes 2. If I have to buy 100 boxes, then I have to have 100 sets that will fit mildly well in them. 3. Don't process enough sets to have to buy them. 4. I am cheap and want free boxes (you know it!). Sometimes I even assemble my own out of boxes from stores like Costco or Aldi. 5. Easy to get them from strangers off Craigslist or some other site. Occassionally, you will get the trashy box with no value to you at all, but the boxes are free, so can you argue? You can look under "Free Stuff" on Craigslist then search "Box".

Uline is awesome if you live close to one and can pick orders up at will call. Also, you really need to be doing enough volume for it to be worthwhile.

We use Uline plus whatever boxes we come into for free from various means.

One thing I know of some people doing that aren't super high volume is buying the quantity of boxes that Uline requires, and then selling smaller lots of those boxes on eBay at a profit. It will take a while to recoup the $, but it's an option.

What I'd recommend with Uline is take a look at the things you have, and try to identify as few box sizes as possible that will let you economically ship your items and then buy those. For example, we only keep 5 types of boxes in any significant amount for shipping. If something random comes up we probably have a big one from an order or can easily get one. The majority of the items that my wife sells fit in a 4x4x4 cube, so that's the one we have the most of at any given time.

If you are doing enough volume that buying in bulk from Uline is worthwhile, then you also need a label printer. The one we use is a Dymo 450 Turbo, but we have a couple of earlier Dymos as well. No ink/toner and no cutting labels. Assuming you're using PayPal, the label type is 99019. At the moment we buy those in enough quantity that our price per label is below .03, which is actually way less than you can do it for on many other printers.

Seriously cannot thank you enough for the suggestion for a label printer. I researched it after reading your comments and I just purchased a Dymo 450 turbo off of Amazon for half of what they are retailing for at places like Staples and I am blown away by how cheap the labels are. MUCH cheaper than the ones you buy from the store. I had resorted to printing labels on regular paper, cutting them, and taping them to a box, which was a huge pain. I purchased the label printer and 450 labels for about the same price as 400 labels from office supply stores.

Don't forget to check eBay for boxes as well. You'd be surprised at some of the prices. Also, once you get their name of the company, compare it to their actual website. Sometimes, it tends to have better deals. Thermal printer is a must. Never spend money again on ink. If you sign up for a UPS or Fedex account and do enough business, they will give you the labels for free.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bringing this thread up again, but what are the 'additional' suggestions to using Amazon's boxes for shipping?

By 'additional', I meant to say, do you cover up the Amazon logo so it doesn't look like it's dropped shipped?  :shifty:

I know I'll remove the original shipping label with my own address on it for sure. 

Sorry for bringing this thread up again, but what are the 'additional' suggestions to using Amazon's boxes for shipping?

By 'additional', I meant to say, do you cover up the Amazon logo so it doesn't look like it's dropped shipped?  :shifty:

I know I'll remove the original shipping label with my own address on it for sure. 

The Amazon tape isn't easy to remove, but it'll be pretty clearly a recycled box (I use them all the time for book shipments) and I haven't had anyone accuse me of drop shipping. It will be especially obvious because your return address label will be you, not Amazon, and you should also include a packing slip that will also show you as the shipper.

• Like 1

I'd also like to cross post a tip I saw on another thread somewhere on this forum regarding shipping labels. USPS (and Fed-Ex? I forgot...)offers free label "sleeve/pouches" that you can slip the shipping label, printed on normal paper, into and tape directly on the box. OP cited its better use in better protection from shipping damage, as well as waterproofing. I can't provide a link to the original post or where on USPS's website it is because I'm on mobile right now, but I believe at USPS it's labeled like "Customs Label Sleeve", or something similar. Probably wrong, but do take a look.

• Like 1

... you should also include a packing slip that will also show you as the shipper.

Thanks, I almost forgot about that packing slip, haven't been shipping stuff for quite a while. 

I'd also like to cross post a tip I saw on another thread somewhere on this forum regarding shipping labels. USPS (and Fed-Ex? I forgot...)offers free label "sleeve/pouches" that you can slip the shipping label, printed on normal paper, into and tape directly on the box. OP cited its better use in better protection from shipping damage, as well as waterproofing. I can't provide a link to the original post or where on USPS's website it is because I'm on mobile right now, but I believe at USPS it's labeled like "Customs Label Sleeve", or something similar. Probably wrong, but do take a look.

I'm definitely gonna be taping my shipping label as they are inkjet printed. I'll invest in a better printer once this takes off. Thanks for the tips!

I'm definitely gonna be taping my shipping label as they are inkjet printed. I'll invest in a better printer once this takes off. Thanks for the tips!

Found it:

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/9236-how-to-set-up-your-label-printer-for-shipping-on-ebay/?p=253345

Links to the pouches are in that post, USPS apparently gives free boxes too, just need to order online, if you guys use them to ship.

Guest davewager78

Some tips from me:

Make sure you water proof the set inside! Shipping plastic bag type items are good for this (even recycled ones)

Save every Amazon type box you ever received, even small non-Lego ones. I find it's easy saving the big boxes that your multi-set original Lego order came in, but when you go to sell those same sets individually...problem. Solved by all these small boxes from when you bought a few books

Flatten your boxes that you plan to use for shipping and store them somewhere like your garage/loft/attic. Your can get a lot into the space of one non-flattened box

As others have said, nothing stopping you from keeping large sets in their original shipping box. I seal mine back up to avoid dust/dirt, and write the contents on the outside. Nobody's ever complained about this yet, when receiving their delivery

Some tips from me:

Make sure you water proof the set inside! Shipping plastic bag type items are good for this (even recycled ones)

Save every Amazon type box you ever received, even small non-Lego ones. I find it's easy saving the big boxes that your multi-set original Lego order came in, but when you go to sell those same sets individually...problem. Solved by all these small boxes from when you bought a few books

Flatten your boxes that you plan to use for shipping and store them somewhere like your garage/loft/attic. Your can get a lot into the space of one non-flattened box

As others have said, nothing stopping you from keeping large sets in their original shipping box. I seal mine back up to avoid dust/dirt, and write the contents on the outside. Nobody's ever complained about this yet, when receiving their delivery

wonderful post.  i forgot to mention this in another thread.  i always wrap sets (sealed, no box, opened boxed) in simple plastic bags to help with protection since you never know what Mother Nature will be bring. 

it also helps with loose sets by keeping all the elements together if a sharp one punctures zip-lock baggies.

for larger sets, i even use a cheap trash bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Staples Coupon Code 58112 works for $30 off $60 for Corrugated Cardboard Shipping Boxes

I went with the 12x10x6 which are exactly $15 for 25 boxes...came out to $30+tax for 100 boxes.

Taking a quick look at the Uline catalog, the same size box is about $0.60 per box, not including freight.

[The following link should be modified with affiliate info]

http://www.staples.com/Corrugated-Shipping-Boxes/cat_CL211969

• Like 3

Anyone ever use Lego set boxes to ship other sets/items in? I know I'd have to probably state something so a buyer knew what was really inside the package and what to expect it in. I wouldn't mind personally as long as what I ordered was in there, but not everyone may feel that way. Thoughts?

I think a corrugated shipping box would always be preferred by the buyer.

Yea, that's pretty much what I was thinking. It was one of those things I asked even though I kind of knew the answer. Thanks.

The other problem with doing this is it makes the box a bigger target for thieves during the shipping process - LEGO itself sends their product in a plain brown box and the word "LEGO" isn't on it anywhere.