Should I assemble my Green Grocer?

solinga

Should I assemble my Green Grocer?

What a dilemma. I bought it long ago, along with other smaller LEGO sets that we put together first. By the time we got around to it, it seemed to be too valuable to open. Now its worth $700 NIB. If we assemble it its still worth $450-$500, but that's like paying $200 for the privilege of building it. I bought it to build it. I have Fire Brigade, Town Hall, Grand Emporium, Pet Shop... Its so nice, love the color, it'd be a shame not to build it. But my husband strongly feels we should hold on to it as an investment now ("to fund all our other LEGOS"). Its my decision, I originally bought it for myself. (I bought it secretly actually since it seemed so expensive at the time at $150.) So it sits in the middle of our living room staring at us all sealed up... If I could go back in time, I'd have bought 2... well duh, I would have bought 20. It would be so nice if I could have one to assemble, and one to sell...but I don't. I have just one. So what would you do? Would you open it?

Yes, this, if you must build it.

Otherwise, if you decide to hold it for investing (or to revisit your decision down the road), then nothing to discuss. Hold it then. ;)

But if I just assemble it, and then sell it 10 years from now, I'll pocket $500+...(assuming it retains its value). This assumes I'll get tired of it in 10 years...

Has anyone bought a eol Green Grocer for $450? I have a hard time spending that even knowing I'm going to flip the new one... I'm also a little leary of buying one, because I'm in Canada. It may be weeks before I can visit my parents in Ohio to make sure the set is complete (assuming I have it shipped there because shipping to Canada is prohibitive). I'd have to nerve myself up...

Just to add to your decision woes, my wife just recently built one... it was brand new too. I paid much, much more than you did. To her, it was the most fun and interesting of all the modulars to build (of which she has built all except the Market Village). Since, she said the Palace Cinema was a more challenging build, but the GG is still her favorite. Sorry if that makes your decision even harder. Given that you only paid retail for it, I say go for it! :)

The classified section of BP will be up and running soon. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to wait until then to see if there is any collector locally (e.***., in your city, province, Canada) who is interested in trading his/her used GG plus cash for your sealed GG. That way, you will not have any out-of-pocket cost. You will net some cash as well.

If you're dead set on building one I would also vote for selling the sealed version and buying one that is used. You will save $200 and still have one to build. Assuming it doesn't mean that much to you to break the seal yourself. It is personally my favorite modular of the series. The build is great and the color scheme is second to none. I have them all and Green Grocer is #1.

What a dilemma. I bought it long ago, along with other smaller LEGO sets that we put together first. By the time we got around to it, it seemed to be too valuable to open. Now its worth $700 NIB. If we assemble it its still worth $450-$500, but that's like paying $200 for the privilege of building it. I bought it to build it. I have Fire Brigade, Town Hall, Grand Emporium, Pet Shop... Its so nice, love the color, it'd be a shame not to build it. But my husband strongly feels we should hold on to it as an investment now ("to fund all our other LEGOS"). Its my decision, I originally bought it for myself. (I bought it secretly actually since it seemed so expensive at the time at $150.) So it sits in the middle of our living room staring at us all sealed up... If I could go back in time, I'd have bought 2... well duh, I would have bought 20. It would be so nice if I could have one to assemble, and one to sell...but I don't. I have just one.

So what would you do? Would you open it?

....Don't go over to the Dark(Investor's) side. Build it. LEGO sets are meant to be built, not stored in closets! ;-)

Though I think that you should eventually build the Green Grocer, IMO, it is better to save the $200 and then sell your current one in say 3 years. No doubt that you should build it, but maybe just not the one you are holding right now. Used ones are usually ok, so I would buy one of those over a brand new one.

....Don't go over to the Dark(Investor's) side. Build it. LEGO sets are meant to be built, not stored in closets! ;-)says the guy who started a LEGO investing website ;)

And has maybe never opened a set :)

Hey hey, he does tell the truth though! If Legos where made to buy and sell again then nobody would really buy, right? there would be no point to it. Ed's just trying to help the guy out.

says the guy who started a LEGO investing website ;) And has maybe never opened a set :) Yeah really, heh heh!

But seriously unless you REALLY want the money, go ahead and build it for yourself. That was what you had bought it for in the first place and in the highly unlikely event that you somehow get bored with it, you could sell it later on as used and still make more than what you had paid for it in the first place. It's a great build and was voted as third best modular. It's my favorite side section modular.

There's my two cents.

....Don't go over to the Dark(Investor's) side. Build it. LEGO sets are meant to be built, not stored in closets! ;-)says the guy who started a LEGO investing website ;)

And has maybe never opened a set :)

Hey hey, he does tell the truth though! If Legos where made to buy and sell again then nobody would really buy, right? there would be no point to it. Ed's just trying to help the guy out.

At the end of the day, the set is meant to be built. She already made money on it, even if if he opens it and builds it. She tripled his investment.

What a dilemma. I bought it long ago, along with other smaller LEGO sets that we put together first. By the time we got around to it, it seemed to be too valuable to open. Now its worth $700 NIB. If we assemble it its still worth $450-$500, but that's like paying $200 for the privilege of building it. I bought it to build it. I have Fire Brigade, Town Hall, Grand Emporium, Pet Shop... Its so nice, love the color, it'd be a shame not to build it. But my husband strongly feels we should hold on to it as an investment now ("to fund all our other LEGOS"). Its my decision, I originally bought it for myself. (I bought it secretly actually since it seemed so expensive at the time at $150.) So it sits in the middle of our living room staring at us all sealed up... If I could go back in time, I'd have bought 2... well duh, I would have bought 20. It would be so nice if I could have one to assemble, and one to sell...but I don't. I have just one.

So what would you do? Would you open it?

I say build it too. You already have a really cool town started add to it. You will get far more joy than all the sadness if you sell. I have wanted this for my town also, but not fortunate enough to have. Have you thought about buying the Cinema Palace? I justed added to my town, and it looks great.

When in doubt, build. Enjoy the product the way it was intended. In your case it shouldn't hurt to do so because you paid retail. Imagine the angst of someone that paid far more and was debating the concept.

At the end of the day, the set is meant to be built. She already made money on it, even if if he opens it and builds it. She tripled his investment.

I say build it too. You already have a really cool town started add to it. You will get far more joy than all the sadness if you sell. I have wanted this for my town also, but not fortunate enough to have. Have you thought about buying the Cinema Palace? I justed added to my town, and it looks great.

All joking aside, unless one is desperate for money, a set like the Green Grocer should be built is a situation like this. Even in opened and built condition, it is still worth $500 if in excellent shape. Enjoy the set.

ALL OF THIS. Period.

Enjoy the set for the brilliant build that it is. If you do decide to sell it later on, you can still make more than what you originally paid for. Plus I don't think you're going to really save or earn much by selling your new one, then turn around and use the money to buy a used set. And there is no guarantee to the quality of any used set you purchase.