Large cache of NOS 1961 Lego System by Samsonite Supplemental sets

Bloome72

Hi all! New to the forums here but a life long Lego fan.

Long story short, I was helping my "Aunt" (she's really my cousin) pack up her house and came across a couple of boxes filled with NOS Lego System by Samsonite supplemental sets from 1961 in great condition. Her mother and father owned a toy store and this must've been left over stock that ended up in her storage for the last 60 years. Anyway, my Aunt asked me to sell them for her.

So I have a large lot of complete boxes in mostly Very Good to Excellent shape (dare I say some of the boxes are Mint!) and I'm wondering the best approach to determine their value and to sell them. Part of the problem is that they are relatively rare and there are not a lot of comparables to base value on.

In addition, the quality and quantity of this lot have the potential to impact the overall value and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on that.

I have the following complete sets intact with box, bricks, and catalogs (unless otherwise noted below):

• 214.7-1 - 1x1x2 Window Frame - 2 sets (white)
  • 214.9-1 - 1x1x1 Window Frame - 2 sets (1 red, 1 white)
  • 217-3 - 4x4 Corner Bricks - 1 set (black)
  • 218-3 - 2x4 Bricks - 9 sets (3 white, 3 clear, 1 clear with only 18/20 pieces, 2 yellow)
  • 219-2 - 2x3 Bricks - 6 sets (1 white w/o catalog, 1 yellow, 1 red, 3 black)
  • 220-2 - 2x2 Bricks - 14 sets (3 black, 2 black w/o catalog, 1 blue, 2 clear, 1 clear w/o catalog, 3 white, 1 white with an extra piece, 1 white with a damaged box and ripped catalog)
  • 221-3 - 1x2 Bricks - 12 sets ( 3 red, 1 yellow, 1 blue with 2 extra pieces, 2 white, 2 clear, 2 black, 1 black with the box front indented at the top)
  • 222-3 - 1x1 Bricks - 10 sets (3 red, 1 yellow, 2 white w/pieces in clear plastic stabled bag, 1 white, 1 black, 1 blue, 1 blue w/o catalog)
  • 223-2 - 1x1 round bricks - 11 sets (2 white w/pieces in clear plastic stabled bag, 2 yellow, 3 black, 3 clear, 1 clear w/dented box and only 58/62 pieces 2 damaged pieces and 12 studs)
  • 224-2 - Bricks Curved - 10 sets (3 yellow, 3 white, 1 red, 1 clear, 1 black, 1 blue)
  • 225.A-1 - 1x6 Beams - 13 sets (3 blue, 3 white, 2 clear, 1 clear w/o catalog, 1 black, 1 yellow, 1 yellow w/o catalog, 1 red)
  • 225.B-1 - 1x8 Beams - 10 sets (2 blue, 1 yellow, 1 red, 2 clear, 1 white, 3 black)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by Bloome72
  • Like 1

Interested in some, will send you a message.

If you have an established Ebay account a bulk lot listing for LEGO Vintage Samsonite would probably be easiest and get you the most money.  There are still some collectors out there for the vintage Samsonite sets although unfortunately these "supplemental" sets, except for the Esso and Trees, are not in high demand and go for $10 - $20. I think the boxes and catalogs especially if New Sealed are more collectible than the common elements that are still made today. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=LEGO+Samsonite+Supplementary+Vintage&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1