Qatar World Cup 2022

Bold-Arrow

By far one of the strangest countries I have ever visited. Got the chance to visit in 19’ and see the stadiums being built. The downtown is the most incredible thing I have ever seen. Literally 50+ brand new skyscrapers.

I asked the cab driver to take me there. He refused several times, until he relented- the secret was out of the bag- I didn’t see one person in the whole area. No joke. Complete ghost town. They built this giant city with $100+ billion over night to change their economy’s dependence on oil.

It was so sad to see. It’s like a ton of developers convinced these people that thousands of companies and employees would flock to the desert to start businesses?

After the World Cup, ain’t no company setting up shop there. This huge metropolis in the middle of the desert that will never be used. This place will go down in history as the biggest waste of a future generation’s inheritance ever.

1A0E5681-4C11-48D9-9A8B-1521BE6569F2.thumb.jpeg.a19398b397fe475cb54594c124dd34d7.jpeg

Edited by Captain_Obvious

30 minutes ago, Captain_Obvious said:

By far one of the strangest countries I have ever visited. Got the chance to visit in 19’ and see the stadiums being built. The downtown is the most incredible thing I have ever seen. Literally 50+ brand new skyscrapers.

I asked the cab driver to take me there. He refused several times, until he relented- the secret was out of the bag- I didn’t see one person in the whole area. No joke. Complete ghost town. They built this giant city with $100+ billion over night to change their economy’s dependence on oil.

It was so sad to see. It’s like a ton of developers convinced these people that thousands of companies and employees would flock to the desert to start businesses?

After the World Cup, ain’t no company setting up shop there. This huge metropolis in the middle of the desert that will never be used. This place will go down in history as the biggest waste of a future generation’s inheritance ever.

I wouldn't judge that race as being over just yet with the Saudi Neom ridiculousness on the horizon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neom.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain_Obvious said:

1A0E5681-4C11-48D9-9A8B-1521BE6569F2.thumb.jpeg.a19398b397fe475cb54594c124dd34d7.jpeg

looks like Chernobyl will get big competitor for video game and movies soon...

World Cup 2022: No alcohol- no fun. Plus 5 more restrictions will ruin it. may be

Edited by brickolodon

7 hours ago, dennugsmello said:

Argentina got a gift with that Poland Mexico Tie. Nice to see them get a second chance to maybe get out of the group. 

Yup, they owe Uchoa a lager or two. France looked legit. looking forward to watching Belgium , Germany and Spain tomorrow and hoping Canada can pull an upset 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bold-Arrow said:

teams are too focused on the politics of it sadly instead of the game. 

I don't think it's the politics. Although that was a predictable problem and FIFA has made it all worse. At this point, the critique is more against FIFA than Qatar.

The players are in the middle of their club seasons. No training camp before. Unless the national team has played together in years, teams won't play at their highest level. Soccer is a weakest link sport, everyone has to communicate and know what the others are doing. Losses by big names were bound to happen in that setting. These teams are more likely to have never played together in that formation, compared to smaller countries that draw on a smaller pool and hence the players know each other better.

9 minutes ago, BrickLover80 said:

I don't think it's the politics. Although that was a predictable problem and FIFA has made it all worse. At this point, the critique is more against FIFA than Qatar.

The players are in the middle of their club seasons. No training camp before. Unless the national team has played together in years, teams won't play at their highest level. Soccer is a weakest link sport, everyone has to communicate and know what the others are doing. Losses by big names were bound to happen in that setting. These teams are more likely to have never played together in that formation, compared to smaller countries that draw on a smaller pool and hence the players know each other better.

I was referring to the pre game Germany team pic and the Belgium shirt issue. 

6 hours ago, DadsAFOL said:

cf9f4f3a36d501fa00517436e73e177e.jpg
USA game was thrilling!

Are you in Qatar?! Helluva match for sure.

When the US is up, we need to attack in the 2nd half as well.  Its hard watching us sit back and let the other team press after playing so well for 45min. When switching to defensive mode, its only a matter of time before mistakes/breakdowns occur. Its a tale as old as the sport. Insane theyve gotten away with this 2/3 games with only 1 goal. Its just too risky of a game plan.   Its ok to be more defensive minded, just need to also keep the other team honest by continuing to attack offensively.  

The Poland v Argentina game today should be intense, alot riding on this match. Tomorrow's Japan v Spain game could also be very interesting. Spain looks be in great form and shouldnt have any issues, but most people thought the same with Germany.

Pumped for next Saturdays game!  I use to attend a dutch soccer academy when I was little, they are so skillful.  I do feel we have the prowess and ability to win, this team just needs to decide to show up and play well.  It will certainly be a litmus test for the "golden era' for USMNT.

On 11/30/2022 at 9:17 AM, BricksBrotha said:

The Poland v Argentina game today should be intense, alot riding on this match. Tomorrow's Japan v Spain game could also be very interesting. Spain looks be in great form and shouldnt have any issues, but most people thought the same with Germany.

Wow, shout out to Japan for beating Spain & moving on! 

• 3 weeks later...