In NYC Today, Some Thoughts...

emes

I'm in NYC this week for a quick 2-day trip, staying right in the middle of Times Square. I hit the LEGO Store at Rock Center and TRU in Times Square today. Some thoughts: 1. They're both full of idiots that are milling around and generally in everyone's way 2. For those of you who whine about TRU prices, you should see the markup at the LEGO Rock Center store 3. 6857 The Dynamic Duo Funhouse was notoriously missing from both. There wasn't even a place on the shelf where it should have been in either store. That the 6857 The Dynamic Duo Funhouse was MIA could be meaningless, as in DFW we seem to have plenty of these available. I wasn't looking to buy any, because I have a bunch, but I did find it curious that it was missing, especially from the TRU. Both places seemed to have adequate stock of most other current sets. Plenty of LOTR, Hobbit, Modulars, Monster Fighters, etc... I was planning to buy several Hayabusa's at the LEGO store, as it would have saved me shipping and earned double VIP points, but they had the price jacked up about $5, so I passed. Now, the deals. I bought 15 40033 Turkey polybags because they were on sale at the LEGO Store for $2.98. Not a super deal, but will eventually give a decent return. At TRU I bought 20 of 40025 NYC Taxi's on BOGO, so an average price of $3.74 each, as well as 20 30241 Mandalorian Fighters at $3.74 each as well. I love flipping polybags because they're so easy, but for the taxis I might have to wait a while. Now, for the best deal I found. TRU had their prices jacked up as usual, except for on a few sets. They had several B-Wings, which I expected to be excluded from the BOGO. I scanned it and it said "$199.99" and that it was BOGO eligible, so I bought 2 of those for an average price of $150 pre-tax. The best deal I can get on the B-Wing at the moment is 10% off, so 25% off was an acceptable deal for me. Tax here is .6% different than home, so that wasn't a deal-breaker. TRU also had the Tower Bridge not marked up and BOGO eligible. I would have grabbed a couple of those too but I only brought 1 bag on this trip, and honestly I don't think even my suitcases are big enough for that set. I've never seen either of these sets at our TRUs in the Dallas-area, and I can't recall seeing many at other TRUs throughout the country. Overall I'm happy with this haul, as I wasn't planning on buying anything on this trip. Note: None of these items, other than the B-Wings, were bought at the same time. I like to make multiple trips so as to not draw attention. Plus all the walking is good exercise.

I'm in NYC this week for a quick 2-day trip, staying right in the middle of Times Square. I hit the LEGO Store at Rock Center and TRU in Times Square today. Some thoughts:

1. They're both full of idiots that are milling around and generally in everyone's way

2. For those of you who whine about TRU prices, you should see the markup at the LEGO Rock Center store

3. 6857 The Dynamic Duo Funhouse was notoriously missing from both. There wasn't even a place on the shelf where it should have been in either store.

That the 6857 The Dynamic Duo Funhouse was MIA could be meaningless, as in DFW we seem to have plenty of these available. I wasn't looking to buy any, because I have a bunch, but I did find it curious that it was missing, especially from the TRU. Both places seemed to have adequate stock of most other current sets. Plenty of LOTR, Hobbit, Modulars, Monster Fighters, etc...

I was planning to buy several Hayabusa's at the LEGO store, as it would have saved me shipping and earned double VIP points, but they had the price jacked up about $5, so I passed.

Now, the deals.

I bought 15 40033 Turkey polybags because they were on sale at the LEGO Store for $2.98. Not a super deal, but will eventually give a decent return.

At TRU I bought 20 of 40025 NYC Taxi's on BOGO, so an average price of $3.74 each, as well as 20 30241 Mandalorian Fighters at $3.74 each as well. I love flipping polybags because they're so easy, but for the taxis I might have to wait a while.

Now, for the best deal I found. TRU had their prices jacked up as usual, except for on a few sets. They had several B-Wings, which I expected to be excluded from the BOGO. I scanned it and it said "$199.99" and that it was BOGO eligible, so I bought 2 of those for an average price of $150 pre-tax. The best deal I can get on the B-Wing at the moment is 10% off, so 25% off was an acceptable deal for me. Tax here is .6% different than home, so that wasn't a deal-breaker. TRU also had the Tower Bridge not marked up and BOGO eligible. I would have grabbed a couple of those too but I only brought 1 bag on this trip, and honestly I don't think even my suitcases are big enough for that set. I've never seen either of these sets at our TRUs in the Dallas-area, and I can't recall seeing many at other TRUs throughout the country.

Overall I'm happy with this haul, as I wasn't planning on buying anything on this trip.

Note: None of these items, other than the B-Wings, were bought at the same time. I like to make multiple trips so as to not draw attention. Plus all the walking is good exercise.

Did you get a 44 oz sugary drink to celebrate?

You might remember from earlier this year that I try to load up when in the va area...it's a little over 3% discount for me...

Yeah that's definitely smart! I try to stock up when visiting my grandmother in Delaware, no sales tax is the best!

Going there in late April...

Lego's Store at Rockefeller Ctr

10227: $220

10228: $197

7939: $197

10211: $164

10197: $164

10218: $164

10232: $164

10233: $142

NYC Tax at 8.875%

The last time I was here was June 2012. I swear the prices at the LEGO Store were "normal" back then. Did something change or did I imagine that June 2012 was the good ol' days?

You might remember from earlier this year that I try to load up when in the va area...it's a little over 3% discount for me...

Yeah that's definitely smart! I try to stock up when visiting my grandmother in Delaware, no sales tax is the best!

Going there in late April...

Good stuff! Yeah I need to get up to Delaware more often........

As luck has it I'll be in Newark when there...

So, no one else found it odd about the funhouse?

It is odd that it was MIA, but that could've just been a coincidence. It is a very popular set, so it may just have been out of stock. I have visited my 2 local Lego stores over the past week and they have plenty of funhouses in stock.