Sale on Chima Speedorz at Shop-at-Home!

TheOrcKing

This one kind of caught me by surprise. I'm just not used to seeing anything discounted on the Lego webstore.

In any case, here is what is on sale.

CHI Battles - $15.98

Ring of Fire - $11.98

Target Practice - $11.98

CHI Waterfall - $11.98

Boulder Bowling - $11.98

Jungle Gates - $11.98

Nest Dive - $11.98

Ice Tower - $11.98

Now there's a wierd one, both the first and second wave of Speedorz are on sale.

I get the first cause it's retiring but the second too?

Too bad I can't do a pricematch with Target. I don't think Lego Shop-at-Home is on their list.

Heck, I just looked and Amazon doesn't have a sale on any of these or seem to even carry most of them at the moment.

Double VIP point right now too. I really wish I could tell if Chima was going to be a winner or not.

Not to be negative but I am shooting for NOT. I just don't have a good feeling about this line. I may be wrong and will end up losing out on some $ but I just cant pull the trigger on those freaky lookin dudes.

I think Chima will be a similar performer to Ninjago since both of these themes cater to the same audience/age level, and both have their own TV show. The marketing parallels between the two themes are remarkably similar. People need to give Chima a chance to perform before dogging it as a loser. It seems to me there are an awful lot of strong biases being formed against the theme before the cornerstone of the theme's marketing strategy (the TV show) starts in earnest. I see a lot of interest in the theme from my son (4 years old) and all of his buddies, so I think interest will pick up further once the TV show gets rolling (next show in the series debuts tomorrow I think). Plus, Chima is the featured line at the major retailers, and they seem to be selling fine. I have heard no one decry the lack of sales of Chima. With that said, this is an investment site and through this lens the first wave of sets doesn't have a strong "anchor" set. To date, the entire theme is vehicles (no castle/base/etc.), and the main set (Cragger's Command Ship) is a ship without sails. I am not investing in Chima yet because it's early in the production cycle, and I think there are other sets that are safer bets to make money that will have a quicker payback window. I will consider going in on the Lion CHI Temple in the next cycle, but the purchase will not be made for at least a year.

I see a lot of parallels with the Ninjago theme. Recall that the initial wave of Ninjago was supported by only 2 x 30 minute animated episodes featuring the Skeleton enemies. Those initial Skeleton spinners can still be found on clearance or 5 below. Then comes the Snake enemies and full 12+ episode seasons of the cartoon. Kids go crazy, Ninjago sets fly off the shelves, and we make bank. So for Chima, I am not surprised that we are seeing sales on current sets and lackluster performance since there have been only two episodes and a very long gap between new shows on the CN. Now that the series is picking back up again is the real test for this theme. Weekly, fresh episodes have the potential to draw in the kid interest, which will then in turn bring in their parents' and grandparents' money. Without the long term support of the cartoon - this theme could easily be a dud. Unfortuantely, even with the cartoon, I struggle to see the potential for a green/gold ninja equivalent from this theme. I have 4 of Craggers command ship that I bought at 25% off just because the floating boat plus high number of green / olive green pieces will appeal to military MOCists. Hopefully the figs will fetch good prices if the show gets interesting. high risk / high reward. This theme just won't fill the Ninjago void - only Ninjago's return in 2014 can do that.

I see a lot of parallels with the Ninjago theme...

This theme just won't fill the Ninjago void - only Ninjago's return in 2014 can do that.

I agree, but I also think both themes can exist simultaneously and succeed. Perhaps Lego will alternate years for releasing new sets - Chima in odd years and Ninjago in even. This would likely keep both themes fresh over the long haul.

I agree, but I also think both themes can exist simultaneously and succeed. Perhaps Lego will alternate years for releasing new sets - Chima in odd years and Ninjago in even. This would likely keep both themes fresh over the long haul.

By Ninjago "void" I meant the abilty of the theme to make investors a lot of money, in a short time frame, with low risk. For example - Green Ninja 9574 spinners that sold for $10 each in the summer and were flipped for $30 each during the holidays. Can Chima deliver that? I doubt it.