Coinciding with the upcoming new Avatar movie(s) new LEGO sets have been released in July 2022, some based on the first Avatar movie, from 2009. 

These sets are:

75571 - Neytiri & Thanator vs. AMP Suit Quaritch

75571_alt1.jpg

75572 - Jake & Neytiri's First Banshee Flight

75572_alt1.jpg

75573 - Floating Mountains: Site 26 & RDA Samson

75573_alt1.jpg

75574 - Toruk Makto & Tree of Souls

75574_alt1.jpg

I'll buy it the same way I bought Elves.... at high clearance. Selling $3 baby wind dragons for 3000% profit will always be dear to my heart. 

Unlike Elves which was an original concept, Avatar will always be tied to a movie franchise. Elves also had the perk of having it's brick built critters being recognizable to anyone. Dragons, pegasus, eagle, lion, fox, turtle, bat.

I couldn't tell you what the things on the Avatar boxes are. I see a 6 legged birdwolf, a flying snake with a goatee, blue dogehorse, and weird mech bird with a greyhound face.

Granted, I hope the sets take off after retirement as I enjoy making money. 

I don't even know anyone, of any age, that liked Avatar or are looking forward to the Avatar movies.
Yet for some reason there is all this hype. I truly don't know if I'm just out of the loop or this is fabricated hype.
In any case I'm in for huge discount. Or none at all if discounts dictate.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KvHulk said:

I don't even know anyone, of any age, that liked Avatar or are looking forward to the Avatar movies.
Yet for some reason there is all this hype. I truly don't know if I'm just out of the loop or this is fabricated hype.

I agree that the delay before the sequel was way too long....almost Star Wars too long.

and I loved the original film and the ride in Disney World was the best ride; bar none (IMO)...we'll have to see where this franchise goes..but in terms of set selection LEGO got it right (IMO)...all memorable scenes.

29 minutes ago, KvHulk said:

IIRC Avatar's success was thanks to the 3D gimmick in theatres which did not (does not?) translate well to the home entertainment settings.

Avatar is part of Disney.  There is always some level of fabricated hype when it comes to Disney

My wide and I enjoyed the first one. Not super fan status, but we do tend to watch it probably once a year. Watched it with out 7 & 5 year old girls for the first time, on Disney+ to get the highest definition, but knowing it was also edited. They enjoyed it as well, and hated it when the Banshee's died. 

That said, the strongest set here is 75571, in my opinion. At least thats a key scene. The others are nice too, but really, these all only work as a complete set.

The tree of souls is Disney Bonsai Tree, Im going to want at least 3 times the amount of Pink willow fronds; and Toruk Makto is NOT large enough. He is barely larger than the other Banshee's

Definitely going to go see the newest one in theaters.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

IIRC Avatar's success was thanks to the 3D gimmick in theatres which did not (does not?) translate well to the home entertainment settings.

Avatar is part of Disney.  There is always some level of fabricated hype when it comes to Disney

Agree and disagree. Avatar's 3D was incredible in theatre and at home. I still watch the 3d version once a year on my 65 inch plasma and it is outstanding. Now many other 3d movies are terrible but Avatar is certainly not.  

I'll be going to the theatre in late September when they are re releasing the original for a short period before the sequel. Really excited for that. 

If you have not seen Avatar in 3D make it a priority to go out an watch it. It is incredible. The entire world and characters really come alive. Whereas the 2D version is just Pocahontas on an alien planet. 

• 5 months later...

Wanted to do a temperature check on this theme now that it's been released. I'm sensing a Amazon/Walmart perma-sale on the horizon. Can't help but think LEGO is fighting them tooth and nail not to do it.

I'm starting to fall in love with it. It's my next Hidden Side complete collection hunt. I know it's going to crash and burn late next year with heavy discounts, but those damn colors are begging me to do an emotional purchase.

I don't even remember the story line after a month of seeing it. However, I was at the edge of my seat the whole time with the overall graphical experience. These sets are eliciting that same feeling.

On 1/26/2023 at 11:30 AM, Captain_Obvious said:

Wanted to do a temperature check on this theme now that it's been released. I'm sensing a Amazon/Walmart perma-sale on the horizon. Can't help but think LEGO is fighting them tooth and nail not to do it.

I'm starting to fall in love with it. It's my next Hidden Side complete collection hunt. I know it's going to crash and burn late next year with heavy discounts, but those damn colors are begging me to do an emotional purchase.

I don't even remember the story line after a month of seeing it. However, I was at the edge of my seat the whole time with the overall graphical experience. These sets are eliciting that same feeling.

I loved the first movie and enjoyed the second just as much as the first.  The first wave I think is the best as it's what I "grew" up with.  Wave 2 I wasn't planning on getting but it's growing on me.  I don't typically buy entire series but this has potential for me to do so.  I think the characters in each set are fairly unique without reproducing already used characters without something unique to them like their Torso.  My biggest curiosity at the moment is whether or not Wave 3 will be related to the movie next year or if they will extend the Wave 2 Way of the Water set.  I haven't seen any rumors yet but it would appear some of the Wave 1 sets will retire in 2023.  Unlike Harry Potter what do you think will happen with Wave 3?  If we already have expected sets retiring in 2023 and it would be assumed that the Jan 1st sets would retire with a similar timeframe thus creating a bit of a gap between the next movie.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...