Target X LEGO Ideas Set Vote

zaphoid

36 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Voted for vikings. Is Lego immune to recession fears or what? With the Bricklink designer program third round selling out so fast and Lego now letting retailers vote on Ideas sets, it's like they're pushing the envelope on what people will buy. 

Vikings!!!

But by the time this set hits the shelves, recession will be over.

I assume the set will also be available directly from Lego. So really it's one extra Ideas set with more limited retail availability. 

2 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

Voted for vikings. Is Lego immune to recession fears or what? With the Bricklink designer program third round selling out so fast and Lego now letting retailers vote on Ideas sets, it's like they're pushing the envelope on what people will buy. 

I haven't done a proper count, but my gut feeling is that Lego has been cranking out way more sets overall in the last couple of years than in the past. Id love to see a proper analysis. While the reasons behind Lego making more sets bodes well for reselling, (ie more demand) the actual making of more sets does not. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

I haven't done a proper count, but my gut feeling is that Lego has been cranking out way more sets overall in the last couple of years than in the past. Id love to see a proper analysis. While the reasons behind Lego making more sets bodes well for reselling, (ie more demand) the actual making of more sets does not. 

We aren’t even halfway through the year yet. 

B9AF6926-1AAE-46FB-8626-FBB86C7EE5BE.png

• Like 2

I’d want to see how many of those are future releases in the database already. And how many of those are actual sets vs Target X gear, etc.

Wasn’t most of the Target X gear released Q4 of 2021 for the Xmas holiday? I’m sure there’s a lot on the list that’s gear, etc. but this just feels like Lego is entering werewolf on coke territory with this much production. Granted, most of it is superb. Outside of Vidiyo and Dots I think Lego really has hit its stride in terms of design and quality. I just cannot keep up with the volume and I think if reseller scum like myself has trouble following then imagine the average consumer trying to keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

Wasn’t most of the Target X gear released Q4 of 2021 for the Xmas holiday? I’m sure there’s a lot on the list that’s gear, etc. but this just feels like Lego is entering werewolf on coke territory with this much production. Granted, most of it is superb. Outside of Vidiyo and Dots I think Lego really has hit its stride in terms of design and quality. I just cannot keep up with the volume and I think if reseller scum like myself has trouble following then imagine the average consumer trying to keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes; bodes well for resellers that are paying attention; because the constant changing of new sets (eye candy) distracts buyers and collectors and the chances go way up of them missing something on their want list before retirement...then it's "come to papa!"

6 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

yes; bodes well for resellers that are paying attention; because the constant changing of new sets (eye candy) distracts buyers and collectors and the chances go way up of them missing something on their want list before retirement...then it's "come to papa!"

These cases exist but it also means that there are always substitutes available. Unless you are a true completionist, just get the new, similar set.

However, what worries me more is that the short development cycles mean that many of the sets are 'meah' and/or cheap (not in retail price but design). That hurts resellers. There will still be winners, no doubt, but they will be harder to find. 

Ps. if you are curious about a prime example of lazy and cheap design, there are ample in the City line but none better than 60343.

11 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

I’d want to see how many of those are future releases in the database already. And how many of those are actual sets vs Target X gear, etc.

Subtracting "gear" assigned in Brickset:

2022: 531 so far
2021: 756
2020: 707
2019: 698
2018: 715
2017: 705
2016: 727
2015: 684
2014: 606
2013: 577
2012: 556

"Better than gold" articles look to have started in 2015. Perhaps the increase in investors fueled their ability to pump out more. 

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 1

What makes even that analysis hard is - there’s so much that goes into that Brickset database. And you need to figure out what you question is.

If it’s just output, that’s fine. But are we taking sets? Minifigs series? Keychains (which might be gear)?

Minifigs alone would get an entry for each minifig, and entry for the blind bag, and an entry for each type of retail box (Muppets have a whole case and then a 6 pack I think). So that’s 15 entries right there.

The best way to do hard numbers would be to look at each theme and pull out outliers (like multipacks), and then figure out - how many sets were released in a theme each year.

The data is there. I just don’t have the time to slice it and dice it to come up with the true numbers.

18 hours ago, zaphoid said:

Looks like we get to vote on what Ideas set will be released exclusively to Target.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/cc2956f4-d9d2-40f3-8d81-2b98ec9a1bd9

Can someone remind me how to get the link to work?  I get 404 not found every time I click it regardless if Safari or Chrome or copy/paste, etc.

4 hours ago, BrickLover80 said:

However, what worries me more is that the short development cycles mean that many of the sets are 'meah' and/or cheap (not in retail price but design). That hurts resellers. There will still be winners, no doubt, but they will be harder to find.

Let's learn about bubbles | Science News for Students

Sounds like it might be time to discuss the "Bubble"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, BrickLover80 said:

These cases exist but it also means that there are always substitutes available. Unless you are a true completionist, just get the new, similar set.

Ps. if you are curious about a prime example of lazy and cheap design, there are ample in the City line but none better than 60343.

Yeah, I see your point but that is assuming the reseller is buying arbitrarily.  The possibility/likelihood of remake (or re-release) goes into the equation on which sets to invest in.  Anyone going deep on say a regular MILF or pretty much ANY City set expecting huge appreciation is fooling themselves.