75313 at 30%+ off, legit?

Sry, not sure were to post this but I’ve found a couple of AT-AT (75313), local sellers, selling for $500-$550.  That’s 30% off RRP, but I haven’t seen this set discounted any.  Just wondering if these could be legit?  Have others found similar deals, wondering if I may have missed it?  I’m not a hotshot deal finder like some folks and never really seen any of these larger sets at more than 20% off or so.

29 minutes ago, LegoTriathlete said:

Sry, not sure were to post this but I’ve found a couple of AT-AT (75313), local sellers, selling for $500-$550.  That’s 30% off RRP, but I haven’t seen this set discounted any.  Just wondering if these could be legit?  Have others found similar deals, wondering if I may have missed it?  I’m not a hotshot deal finder like some folks and never really seen any of these larger sets at more than 20% off or so.

It's possible that the sellers are Lego employees, who can buy these sets at deep discounts at selected times during the year.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cambridge02138 said:

It's possible that the sellers are Lego employees, who can buy these sets at deep discounts at selected times during the year.

Thx, didn’t realize the employee discounts are so deep.  I’ll see if I can inspect them before committing to purchase.  Much appreciated!

$700 seems to be the going rate on eBay but $500 sounds too good to be true. Even if it is a lego store employee that purchased an open box return at a 30% discount they would still be loosing money by reselling it. This set has not been offered at a deep discount of 50% off anywhere that I know of, but some people have their ways, but most likely stollen goods or CC. 

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Thanks 1

3/4 of the new Lego listings in my area (FB/Craigslist) are stolen. Doesn't mean it's the same situation as yours. The returns/overstock sales are easier to pick up as the box is most likely beaten up a bit more than usual shelf wear.

It seems like if the listing involves a picture of the set taken from inside a car, it's 100% stolen.😃

Edited by iahawks550
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iahawks550 said:

3/4 of the new Lego listings in my area (FB/Craigslist) are stolen. Doesn't mean it's the same situation as yours. The returns/overstock sales are easier to pick up as the box is most likely beaten up a bit more than usual shelf wear.

It seems like if the listing involves a picture of the set taken from inside a car, it's 100% stolen.😃

Same here. All the great deals are the same sets on the shelves at Target & WM. 

I doubt an AT-AT is stolen. Maybe some other scam. Or maybe it's legit who knows. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LegoTriathlete said:

Haha, I just checked one of the listings and it was unlisted.  Plus the location of the individual changed along with the fact that   they just joined this month, definitely a scam…

also there's a real danger aspect when it's a local deal for such high priced items if cash is involved.

IN this case, the OP already noted likely scam; but given other info such as the big set (not offered in Target/Walmart) so likely not stolen in the traditional sense (very unlikely they stole it from a LEGO store); local deal so not a CC fraud scam, priced too low for employee discounts, gotta wonder what the "play" is.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LegoTriathlete said:

Many times people list stuff low on FB Marketplace hoping the buyer will send them Venmo or PayPal payments, then they disappear.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LegoTriathlete said:

Haha, I just checked one of the listings and it was unlisted.  Plus the location of the individual changed along with the fact that   they just joined this month, definitely a scam…

I've been seeing this a lot on OfferUp with the usual suspect sets: titanic, at-at, milf... For hundreds less that retail typically on accounts created just this month, almost all are also selling some other hard to find thing like PS5 and XBox. Almost always available for shipping, too.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Are people that stupid?

I mean Venmo /paypal both still have a refund option...so anyone that does PP F&F or some other non-recoverable option is just asking for it, IMO.

Yes, many people have been taken. I've noticed several ripoffs with Star Wars collectors trying to secure TVC Razor Crests recently.

9 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

$700 seems to be the going rate on eBay but $500 sounds too good to be true. Even if it is a lego store employee that purchased an open box return at a 30% discount they would still be loosing money by reselling it. This set has not been offered at a deep discount of 50% off anywhere that I know of, but some people have their ways, but most likely stollen goods or CC. 

Never say never, I bought an At-at for 35% off rrp in Switzerland recently. For personal collection though, it's too much of a hassle to store and ship. 

On the other hand I'm curious as to how you guys will ship this? Will you double box it? The set already has a one inch cardboard padding in the original carton. 

34 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Are people that stupid?

I mean Venmo /paypal both still have a refund option...so anyone that does PP F&F or some other non-recoverable option is just asking for it, IMO.

Greed or desperation maybe, sometimes I pay via Iban within Europe if I buy something on bricklink after checking feedback. Saves a few bucks on PayPal fees and I think if u scam on bl u would be caught quickly. 

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Are people that stupid?

The seller can also be screwed with Venmo/paypal if done with a hand to hand business transaction. They can claim it's not as advertised/incomplete/or they had some sort of agreement that they paid for and never got the item.

4 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

The seller can also be screwed with Venmo/paypal if done with a hand to hand business transaction. They can claim it's not as advertised/incomplete/or they had some sort of agreement that they paid for and never got the item.

if you have the customer scan the qr code on either app it actually gives proof of transaction to them at that physical location that it happened at.  Had a chargeback on a paypal facebook year or so ago and was covered right away.   Said they could see the transaction took place between 2 phones at a certain location.

Closed it out in my favor.  Turned out the customer just didn't remember anyways but they sided right away.  Kinda cool to know and was another reason they rolled that out to avoid people saying they didn't get anything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ravenb99 said:

if you have the customer scan the qr code on either app it actually gives proof of transaction to them at that physical location that it happened at.  Had a chargeback on a paypal facebook year or so ago and was covered right away.   Said they could see the transaction took place between 2 phones at a certain location.

Closed it out in my favor.  Turned out the customer just didn't remember anyways but they sided right away.  Kinda cool to know and was another reason they rolled that out to avoid people saying they didn't get anything.

That's a good thing to know. I've had the people hold the item while I took a picture. Corny, but covered.