TheBrickStop failed

Alcarin

I am glad, I was not sold on them and I didn't plan on supporting them even if it went through. If they want to be entrepreneurs, they need to find a better way to come up with a startup than asking people via the internet to blindly donate when there is no accountability between them and their financiers.

I am glad, I was not sold on them and I didn't plan on supporting them even if it went through. If they want to be entrepreneurs, they need to find a better way to come up with a startup than asking people via the internet to blindly donate when there is no accountability between them and their financiers.

I agree, they almost come off as scammers.

I agree, they almost come off as scammers.

x2...wouldn't be that hard to simply fade away with investors money.

Exactly, although if they were truly scammers they probably wouldn't have posted their faces on the site speaking out to the world, but in this day and age you never know lol

Exactly. They wanted our money to make the site. Who knows what kind off site they would produce? Anyone can produce a video and tell you everything you wanted to here. They didn't even a have a screen shot to show.

They needed to develop the site with their own money and time, then people would decide if it was worth anything. Really, I thought they had some nerve asking for approximately $75,000.00 and had zero to show us beside that video and some screenshots of flow charts. Jeff and I asked for zero money to run this site. Huw at Brickset asked for zero money to develop his site. Nathan at Rebrickable asked for zero money to run his site. The whole idea irked me.

I'd be pretty irked too, not saying that its necessarily wrong to get startup capital to launch a business/website, but in normal situations there are lots of checks and balances needed to provide a well functioning relationship between the financier and business owner. Typically, they are investing in the project to partake in its profits and will coordinate on every step of the way. For those who have gone through this process normally, the prospect of what they proposed is absolutely absurd.

I'd be pretty irked too, not saying that its necessarily wrong to get startup capital to launch a business/website, but in normal situations there are lots of checks and balances needed to provide a well functioning relationship between the financier and business owner. Typically, they are investing in the project to partake in its profits and will coordinate on every step of the way.

For those who have gone through this process normally, the prospect of what they proposed is absolutely absurd.

In addition to asking us for money, they promised us the site would be free afterwards. How is that free? They said they would use "targeted marketing" to pay for the site. Do they have any ideas of the costs to run a busy site or the dedication needed to maintain it? Targeted marketing won't pay the bills. Also, are these programmers going to keep it updated for free? It sounded like a bunch of unemployed programmers looking for a few months pay.

What's mind boggling is that there are 3,000 people out there willing to support their site via financial donations...............what is wrong with people lol. As you said Ed, they didn't even give us a screen shot! No wonder their site isn't working out. You can't charge people without showing them or at a minimum giving them an idea of what you're giving them. I mean even a free trial would have been nice, problem is they probably don't even have enough of a website designed yet in order to give/show potential investors/clients what they're paying for. This was a mess from the start.

What's mind boggling is that there are 3,000 people out there willing to support their site via financial donations...............what is wrong with people lol. As you said Ed, they didn't even give us a screen shot! No wonder their site isn't working out. You can't charge people without showing them or at a minimum giving them an idea of what you're giving them. I mean even a free trial would have been nice, problem is they probably don't even have enough of a website designed yet in order to give/show potential investors/clients what they're paying for. This was a mess from the start.

Not sure if 3000 people supported but 3000 pounds was ''offered as investment'' or donations for the thing to start... meaning there could only be 1 crazy millionares son giving all his pocket money of 1 week to them :D

Well you can't fault them for trying...that's what most of kickstarter is. If you are going to start a company, you might as well see if it would be a good fit for kickstarter and get funding upfront. Why not?! But I agree, it would have never succeeded and I would never support thebrickstop. I only support cool things like the Veronica Mars Movie (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559914737/the-veronica-mars-movie-project). LOL!

Hey guys, I am starting up a new LEGO collection and need your donations to pay for it. Best of all, I will take pictures of the items I am going to buy and build (with your donations) and you will be able to view them 24-7 for FREE!!!!!! Thats right, all of your hard earned money will fund MY collection and you can view it anytime for FREE!!!!!!!! Just send your donations to: ugotscrewed.yup :)

I honestly had no idea how this was ever going to get off the ground. Sure it sounded nice but that's about it. I've seen better kickstarters than this one. You know, the ones that actually offered something substantial and made sense! This one was as tangible as a fart in the wind.