Ideas #040: 21332 - The Globe

Alpinemaps

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, ravenb99 said:
I know a certain Mapmatician that might like that , course he wasn't fond of world map so who knows.  That map community is overly picky.

Hope you’re not talking about me. Because I definitely like them both. Just waiting on that World Map to go on sale before I pick it up.

• Like 1

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #040: 21332 - The Globe
  • 2 weeks later...

Admittedly, this is a very great looking display piece. Looking forward to plenty of moc adaptations

However, that $199 price point is kind of hurting a little more than other times. The review noted that 40% of the set piece count is just technic pins and elements. Granted, there's a trend towards having sets that use large bundles of 1x1 round studs to justify a higher piece count, and therefore a higher price point. But this is getting painful to watch.

Edited by MrToes16
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

This set has GLOBAL appeal, it will be interesting to see how many new people buy it and bail on it. No stickers but a lot of Technic.

I wonder if there will be a rubber band mod to fix all the gaps. Truthfully it looks like a terrible building experience. Like the typewriter set I just don’t really see the purpose of it. I’d rather have an actual antique globe or typewriter for display (if I were into knick knacks). 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mathew said:

I wonder if there will be a rubber band mod to fix all the gaps. Truthfully it looks like a terrible building experience. Like the typewriter set I just don’t really see the purpose of it. I’d rather have an actual antique globe or typewriter for display (if I were into knick knacks). 

IMO its due to legos obsession and drive to showcase that "everything" can be made from legos. But looks childish to me, and its really just an awful technic building experience, as a display piece its okay

Just now, Bricklectic said:

IMO its due to legos obsession and drive to showcase that "everything" can be made from legos. But looks childish to me, and its really just an awful technic building experience, as a display piece its okay

Looks like a disco ball when you spin it. There’s not enough detail to make it interesting for display. Its a $200 novelty. 

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

Looks like a disco ball when you spin it. There’s not enough detail to make it interesting for display. Its a $200 novelty. 

You literally just built an $800 novelty dog-tank from a 35 year old kids movie 🤪. There are people out there who want this the same way that there is a market for the Typewriter and Ship-in-a-bottle. Relax, man, it's just Lego.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, keymomachine said:

You literally just built an $800 novelty dog-tank from a 35 year old kids movie 🤪. There are people out there who want this the same way that there is a market for the Typewriter and Ship-in-a-bottle. Relax, man, it's just Lego.

Ha, ha...Jealous?  Let me tell you a cool little story bro.  Back in 2012 when I came out of my dark ages and first found out about the UCS sets my thought was "Cool, but only if they could release an AT-AT.  That's the one I really want."   I purchased the 2014 system scale version when it was first released.  Purchased the 2020 version upon release.  Can you tell that I like AT-ATs?  Then it happened:  In 2021 Lego released the UCS model.  The $800 price tag is ridiculous for a box of plastic bricks.  I even mocked it here on the forums.  But I work hard for my money and came upon a nice Christmas bonus.  Then one Sunday morning my wife who has seen me gawking at the Lego online images (you even joked about "Grown men looking lovingly at Lego sets") said "If you want it then you can have it."  No way would I have done the deed on my own.  But that Sunday my wife drove me and the kids to the Lego store and she herself went up to the register and bought it for me.

Now tell me with a straight face that you are as giddy as a ten year old on Christmas morning about getting an official Lego Typewriter or Globe model as I was about getting my UCS AT-AT.  😉

• Like 2