Am I the first (in)Vestor-(col)Lector from South Africa?

Probably not... To all INvestors and COLlectors within the BRICKPICKER community I say a big "HELLO" from South Africa. I discovered this site on one of my searches, and have really enjoyed what I see and read thus far. I'm very much an AFOL who has wandered about the 'dark ages' for far too long. I related and agreed wholeheartedly with timinchicago's article. A young son (9 weeks old) has stirred my inner strengths and desires to once more BuldIT! Plus, it gives an excellent opportunity to invest both time and money into an area of my childhood which I should never have let slip by so easily. Presently, the awakening I experience is more like a mad/crazy/possessed AFOL (MAFOL? CAFOL? PAFOL?). I dare say that is nothing new to many of you. I'm fortunate to be able to spend some hard earned currency once again on Lego. Whilst my collection is small, it breathes and pulsates with a demand to grow itself. Sets 10221, 10212 and 10210 have thus far made their way through my door. The latter will remain MISB. Imagine my disappointment, when earlier today, I could not finish the starboard wing, nor display stand, for the Imperial Shuttle due to incorrect and missing pieces. Did the blood drain from my body...it would have looked SO good alongside the SSD. Maybe I will be able to list the first 'factory incomplete set' as it could well be so unique. Possibly with a description along the lines of "Never fully built, in exsquisite condition, and only missing pieces the factory deliberately left out". But I joke and hope I raise a smile or two. It's a UCS masterpiece and deserves to be built and displayed. It looks sort of sad with only one wing, somewhat lonely. However, it will be finished shortly, when those all important parts arrive. I can't wait! I see that I have a great deal of catching up to do, especially when I read the article on storage - so well written by Mos_Eisley. Best I order a couple more of the VW Camper, Diagon Alley, Grand Emporium and Pet Shop (to name but a few). Chuck in a few of Slave I and perhaps some of the LOTR when they arrive on my shores, and I will be heading fully-on into the 'Vestor-Lector' family. I have noticed that the MOC's we see everyday are beyond brilliant in so many cases. I see the value in such 'products' and should allow a certain percentage of my cash to obtain some MOC's. If only I could have a "Lego Workshop" with organised trays and shelves, brimming with plates and overflowing with blocks. If only... Whatever our reason to invest or collect, we share a fundamental joy and attraction to Lego. I find it hard to believe that the dedicated investor doesn't have a special display area for their own particular favourites. And I also do not believe that the collector does indeed collect for monetary gains alone. Let's not forget the hours of enjoyment over the years, the expressions on friends and our families faces when they see the models, and the shear joy to build them. What value can we truly place on that? I thank BRICKPICKER for an excellent site. If I can slot into a collector and investor role, then I'd be more than happy. But how do I prevent myself from the late-night urges to break the factory seal....? Wishing all fellow members good investing and enjoyable collecting. Cheers for now. BiuldIT.

Hello and welcome to BrickPicker.com. Very nicely written. It was my own 2.5 year old son, Max, that got me back into LEGO collecting. Lucky for me, I have an understanding wife who doesn't mind boxes(and boxes...and boxes..........and boxes) of plastic bricks, scattered all around my house. Did I say boxes? LOL. Anyway, my brother Jeff and I hope you enjoy the site and if you need anything, feel free to ask. We are always around.