Lightyear 2022

TheOrcKing

I am intrigued by this more serious while still lighthearted approach to our action figure spaceman. Pixar's animation and style continues to be top notch. I'm just left wondering so.... where does Emperor Zurg come in? (All that time playing Starcraft, I keep wanting to type "Zerg". Haha.)

• Like 1

What I’ve read is that this is supposed to be the movie within the Toy Story universe, that inspired the toy line. Andy would have seen this movie and wanted the toy based on this movie.

I guess it’s a little like Kill Bill being a movie inside the Tarintino-verse? (Don’t follow Tarintino so don’t quote me on that)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

What I’ve read is that this is supposed to be the movie within the Toy Story universe, that inspired the toy line. Andy would have seen this movie and wanted the toy based on this movie.

I guess it’s a little like Kill Bill being a movie inside the Tarintino-verse? (Don’t follow Tarintino so don’t quote me on that)

This 

2 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

That makes sense too. I got the feeling from the trailer that it was perhaps an imaginary world created by the kid. Not sure I like the idea of a tie in movie (within an existing movie universe that we’ve already have closure in...twice now). But Pixar has been light on fresh ideas for awhile.  Soul being an exception. 

Edited by Mathew
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

That makes sense too. I got the feeling from the trailer that it was perhaps an imaginary world created by the kid. Not sure I like the idea of a tie in movie (within an existing movie universe that we’ve already have closure in...twice now). But Pixar has been light on fresh ideas for awhile.  Soul being an exception. 

the amount of disney theme park capital investments (most recent being a hotel) tells me this franchise is FAR from over 

3 hours ago, Mathew said:

Super Carlin Brothers are pretty good at coming up with plausible scenarios when it comes to Disney/Pixar. They don’t always get it right but they are good at catching those small details I always miss. Highly recommended YouTube channel if you don’t mind some corny sense of humor 

On 10/28/2021 at 9:48 AM, CosmicSpeed said:

Based on this screenshot, I believe time travel is involved.

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 9.47.16 AM.png

Reminds me of the start to the "Planet of the Apes" from 1968 about the theory of time in a vehicle traveling nearly the speed of light. The traveler aged merely a few moments (if at all) while everything and everyone else is long past gone.

I see member Justy mentioned the 'slingshot around the sun' maneuver from Star Trek IV. Whereas I remember what was the start to the TV series Farscape where astronaut John Crichton used the Earth's gravitational force to pull off the slingshot effect to prove a theory for science.... then he got sucked into a wormhole and things got weird. Haha.

Anywho, rolling with the general theory that time travel may be plausible but limited only to moving forward. I believe the moment where "hyperspeed" was achieved is the point Lightyear was moving faster than anything ever had (or at least nearly the speed of light). For how long though is anyone's guess. The world he returned to was more technologically advanced then the one he left. Perhaps we could say one to possibly two generations later.

22 hours ago, Bold-Arrow said:

You know that ship is going to be a Lego set 

I am banking on two sets at the very least coming out from this film.
....Oh right, in for twenty!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Those armor pieces and various (torso & leg) prints could be desirable for custom space and cyberpunk builds. The Zurg battlesuit looks good and seeing those "gold bar" parts in more varied colors is always nice.

I was going to make a remark about the decapitated heads but brickvoyeur beat me to it. Haha.

• Like 1