The Falcon and the Winter Soldier Discussion * Spoilers *

Bold-Arrow

Agreed.  It was a little on the slow side, but it's a pilot episode.  Interesting how they both have their own sub-story. 

I'm beginning to wonder how Sam is getting paid.  I assumed he was getting a paycheck from the gov't.  

I thought they played the connection between the son and dad a little over the top with the son's picture & shrine.  But it wasn't until my daughter saw the son's pic in the shrine that she realized the connection.  So well done Disney.

• Like 1

Episode 2 felt flat and slow .  Introducing a new character like Isiah and trying to explain him not being introduced till now because he went through a lot is lazy writing . As in similar scripts , the writers are having a hard time justifying the introduction of a new character that should either not exist or have been introduced many movies ago .

Also some of the SJW stuff was a bit over a the top . Can’t we just watch something for the entertainment value these days . 

• Like 2

Just now, Lego Lass said:

Also, not a big John Walker fan. Writers tried to make him likable/relatable, but he just came off as a smug jerk. I knew Steve Rogers, Steve Rogers was a friend of mine, and you sir are no Steve Rogers.

my 9 year said, I am making a prediction, John walker is the bad guy . that's how unlikeable he is . lol 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

my 9 year said, I am making a prediction, John walker is the bad guy . that's how unlikeable he is . lo

I'm not a big comic book follower, but apparently Walker was an ambiguous character…changed alliegances a few times and went by Super Patriot and U.S. Agent. My son didn't like him as soon as he saw "those stupid sideburns". 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Finally binged this over the weekend, to get caught up.  Not sure why I wasn't watching from day one, as I'm really digging this show.

On 3/27/2021 at 6:31 PM, Lego Lass said:

Also, not a big John Walker fan. Writers tried to make him likable/relatable, but he just came off as a smug jerk. I knew Steve Rogers, Steve Rogers was a friend of mine, and you sir are no Steve Rogers.

On 3/27/2021 at 6:39 PM, Lego Lass said:

I'm not a big comic book follower, but apparently Walker was an ambiguous character…changed alliegances a few times and went by Super Patriot and U.S. Agent. My son didn't like him as soon as he saw "those stupid sideburns". 😏

So I like the Walker character.  He's being written very well.  It's not that the writers are trying to make him likable/relatable - they're writing true to the character.  The character in the comics was always a smug ass.

Remember what Dr. Erskine said to Steve: "Whatever happens, stay who you are. Not just a soldier, but a good man."

Steve is a good man.  John is a good soldier.  And not to dismiss what John has done, but John certainly has PTSD and has been pretty affected by his past.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

Finally binged this over the weekend, to get caught up.  Not sure why I wasn't watching from day one, as I'm really digging this show.

So I like the Walker character.  He's being written very well.  It's not that the writers are trying to make him likable/relatable - they're writing true to the character.  The character in the comics was always a smug ass.

Remember what Dr. Erskine said to Steve: "Whatever happens, stay who you are. Not just a soldier, but a good man."

Steve is a good man.  John is a good soldier.  And not to dismiss what John has done, but John certainly has PTSD and has been pretty affected by his past.

Episode 4 made pretty clear that he's dealing with some significant PTSD…he even mentioned that he was awarded a Medal of Honor for the worst day of his life. Good to know that the character is true to the comics (I haven't read them, but knew that Walker was U.S. Agent at one point.) I'm curious to see what happens now that he's taken super serum…I can't imagine the U.S. government wanting a rogue Cap running around killing people with his shield.

12 minutes ago, Lego Lass said:

Episode 4 made pretty clear that he's dealing with some significant PTSD…he even mentioned that he was awarded a Medal of Honor for the worst day of his life. Good to know that the character is true to the comics (I haven't read them, but knew that Walker was U.S. Agent at one point.) I'm curious to see what happens now that he's taken super serum…I can't imagine the U.S. government wanting a rogue Cap running around killing people with his shield.

would be great if they mirror current news and have social media try to "cancel" him...but I know this was all written awhile ago.  Was supposed to be before Wandavision even.

• Like 1

I think all those videos are going to make this go viral (in the MCU) immediately.  This won't look good for the US, and if people get Sam and Bucky in those shots, it won't go good for them either.

The writing on this show is top notch.  No reason to not expect that.  Just pointing it out.  Lots of good social commentary.  There's really two ways to do social commentary - naturally, or shoving it down our throats.  With the amount of commentary they are doing, it would be very easy to shove it down our throats, but I feel like they're doing a good job of showing, not telling, us all of these things.  The struggle of the black man.  The follies of perfection and nationalism.  Extremism.  Heavy stuff.

Can't say I'm surprised tho.  Captain America was always the hero of the Avengers that appealed to me in the 80s, and of all the different franchises within the MCU, it's the franchise that appeals to me the most.  This series has definitely carried that tradition on for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

I think all those videos are going to make this go viral (in the MCU) immediately.  This won't look good for the US, and if people get Sam and Bucky in those shots, it won't go good for them either.

The title of Episode 4 was "The Whole World is Watching", which is quite apropos...

• Like 1

Man, this was a great episode. Very nuanced, world-building, and one heck of a cameo! Honestly, this show feels like it's a comic book series which makes it so great. It's probably the only way we can flesh out all these characters as a TV series.

• Like 2