new member...a bit confused...

ive always been fascinated with lego, but as a child growing up, i never owned many of them. i had 1 bucket filled with a various assortment of building blocks, both name brand and generic, but never specific lego sets. now that i have a son (only 7 months...not quite ready for legos...yet) i find myself looking at all the new sets muttering to myself "well,, ill get that one...and that one....maybe that one too." but i'm wondering do i want these for him, or for myself? so here's where my confusion sets in... where should i start with legos? not just as an investment, but also as toys for my son? there's just so many out there, i get confused. im not looking to strike it rich, i just would like the hobby to be (somewhat) self sufficient. any info would be greatly appreciated. by the way - i asked my parents why they never bought me more legos and there response was "you never really asked for them" i guess i was too into my star wars toys at the time. lol.

It is hard to just collect one theme when it comes to Lego. Believe me, many of us here collect multiple different themes. My best advice would be to try narrowing down what you like into a top 2 or 3 theme list and then going from there. In my opinion there is no easy way to choose exactly which Lego sets or themes to collect because in my eyes almost all of them are cool in some way or another. My favorite themes (which may not be your favorite) are City, Trains, Super Hero, and Star Wars. Good luck with the selection process. ;)

At 7 months, you've got some time... My kids are 5 and 2 1/2 and well, they love Lego. We started buying Lego for our older son in the weeks leading up to his 4th birthday and that got us hooked too. Here's the catch with Kids... they love to DESTROY both on purpose and by accident. If you can't let it go, don't get them Lego until they are 5 or 6 and they stop destroying every last thing they touch without being able to reassemble it before you see. :) My youngest likes to play with the trains mostly. The older ones likes the vehicles and mini figures... He takes the vehicles apart or blings them out with tiles and translucent bricks and likes to switch the minifigure torsos and heads. Drives me nuts! The compromise is that he is allowed to play with mom and dad's Lego (like the Death Star and Millenium Falcon), but he can't take them apart. His Lego he can do whatever he wants .. I think he has about $400 worth of minifigs in his carrying case.

there is no wrong answer here. go with a couple of themes that you like and buy what your budget will allow. when my kids were born i started to stockpile sets that i thought were cool, with the hope that my kids would like them too. i bought a ton of city, indy jones, star wars, and space police. they are 7 and 5 now, and we have a huge lego collection consisting of my old sets from when i was a kid in the 80's, and the ones that i started to stockpile when they were born. it turns out that my son only really cares for the non-city themed sets, and my daughter, who is now 5, loves the friends line. the sets that they don't like i was able to sell and re-invest that money, so no harm done. side note...they don't know that i have over 300 unopened sets locked away in the basement. lol...if they ever stumbled upon them they would be in heaven! ssshhhhhhhh...don't tell anyone. it will be our secret.

there is no wrong answer here. go with a couple of themes that you like and buy what your budget will allow. when my kids were born i started to stockpile sets that i thought were cool, with the hope that my kids would like them too. i bought a ton of city, indy jones, star wars, and space police. they are 7 and 5 now, and we have a huge lego collection consisting of my old sets from when i was a kid in the 80's, and the ones that i started to stockpile when they were born. it turns out that my son only really cares for the non-city themed sets, and my daughter, who is now 5, loves the friends line. the sets that they don't like i was able to sell and re-invest that money, so no harm done.

side note...they don't know that i have over 300 unopened sets locked away in the basement. lol...if they ever stumbled upon them they would be in heaven! ssshhhhhhhh...don't tell anyone. it will be our secret.

My wife doesn't know I have 2000 sets hidden at work. SHHHHHHH!!!

Correct about the kids. They will destroy because it's fun to break things apart and put them back to together. Problem is that most of the time, parts get lost in the process of all that. For your kids, I would buy relatively inexpensive sets until they realize what they have, because pieces will inevitably be lost or broken when they're younger. For yourself, look for the best price to piece ratios and then beyond that is personal preference. For example, you wouldn't want to pay 50 bucks for a set that only has about 250 pieces, because we generally like to look for something close to a 10-1 ratio...or at least I do. That means every ten pieces will be a dollar. Now you typically won't find exactly this unless there's a sale, but you might come close, such as 10-1 plus five or ten bucks. There are some sets that are 10-1 or better though. But anything where the ratio gets too high, then I feel like I'm getting ripped off, even though I'm sure there's a reason for the price, but I vote with my wallet and prefer more conventional models that use minimal specialty pieces.

My wife doesn't know I have 2000 sets hidden at work. SHHHHHHH!!!

lol...i am sure a lot of us here have little secrets regarding our stashes. luckily, my wife is cool about it. i explained it like this...either we leave a boat load of money sitting in a money market account collecting next to nothing in interest, or we can invest a portion of it in a commodity that is fairly safe, where the worst case scenario has us breaking even as long as i buy correctly. breaking even would basically be the same as if we just left it in the money market account, since interest rates are complete junk right now. i keep very detailed records on a spreadsheet, and once she saw some of the early returns, she is cool about it now. i have been buying a lot the past couple of months, but i told her that this is the time to buy since all of the old sets are being clearanced out to make room for the new stuff. she just rolls her eyes...lol.

Thanks man.......wait what????? I thought the first person to 5000 got a misb 10179 from Eds personal collection??? Lol on a serious note I chose the AT AT. I am thankful to Ed and Jeff for offering the set to us, very generous of them!

You wish! Lol.

It is very nice of them to offer that.