2021 Vidiyo

Not sure this will be a success or not (tend to think not) but couldnt they have done better then Vidiyo as the name?
Seems like it was created by the same marketing team that brought us the box art on Hidden Side.

It’s getting harder to find names you can copyright . . .

Not sure if it will be a hit but I’m sure LEGO is starting to think long term partnerships with music corporations, likely sponsored deals with artists, in app purchases, etc. These “beat bit” tiles will likely be collectible.
  • Like 1

From the article above: 

"But instead of just selecting a filter and dancing away, kids will instead scan a Lego Minifigure to star in the video, along with any Lego “BeatBit” tiles — 2 x 2 bricks that unlock the various digital AR effects in the app. Then, kids will be able to dance away to the music — alongside a full-sized version of their Lego character in AR — before editing and sharing the clip.

One of the key aspects that Lego hopes will set Vidiyo apart, though, is its content moderation. All content uploaded to the app has to pass a moderation test first, and any content that features “personally identifying information” — like real people in a video — won’t be allowed to be uploaded. (Although kids will still be able to watch their videos starring themselves locally.)"

So, kids can create videos "dancing next to their favorite LEGO minifigure" but if a person (like a child) appears in the video it will not be allowed to be uploaded to LEGO's server and instead remain local on their device. 

On the surface this seems a lot more interactive than hidden side.  However, I wonder how long until videos make it from the local device straight to YouTube and bypass LEGO's "moderation."

• 2 weeks later...

Promobricks is reporting the new Vidiyo collectable minifigures will be packaged in little boxes instead of bags so you cannot feel them from the outside anymore. I think this is very customer-friendly because LEGO is saving you a lot of searching effort. You just have to pay more per figure now of course as they raised the price 25% per figure from 4 to 5 Euros - which is fully justifyable by the more expensive packaging.

It's also very fair because the quality and production value of their figures has been on the rise constantly with perfect printing, arm & leg prints etc. all of that being really expensive in production. So I'm eventually quite happy to pay 5 Euros now, plus the priceless joy of surprise. If I'm honest, I'd rather pay 6 or 7 Euros per figure just because I love TLG's strategy so much.

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-vidiyo-43101-bandmates/117332/ 

Edited by Frank Brickowski

6 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

Some of these character designs are wild.

Totally tubular. Getting the boombox in different colors is nice, the ghost girl has a hairstyle akin to Michael Jackson in particular Thriller while looking like a Hex Girl, rockin' wolfman rockin' it, I don't remember if we ever got a tambourine piece before, and also a rhinestone cowboy for the win. The DJ shark might be my favorite but altogether a fun lineup.

$20 is a bit steep for these sets.  What I found interesting is all six of the "beatboxes" have the exact same sixteen "beatbits".  

The minifigures (no smooshing allowed) have three beatbits but only one of the three is unique to each minifigure.  The other two beatbits can be found in the beatboxes.  That is a whole lot of duplicate beatbits.

BTW, if you're wondering which are unique, it is the first of the three when looking at each minifigure.

On 2/15/2021 at 10:32 AM, Bricklectic said:

Exhibit A: The launch of an epic dud IMO. These frighten me on some level for some reason. Can't imagine these take off personally.

I find this concept interesting but I find myself wondering who the target demographic really is.  The sets say 7+ but I picture kids age 9-11 actually playing with this... maybe.

Smyths has put out some videos to advertise them: 

• Like 1

Those "beatbox" sets are unique and make for a nice storage display unit but twenty bucks a pop is a rough sell for essentially one minifigure in a plastic case. The characters in blind boxes upholding the tradition of randomness are an almost equally difficult sell at $5 each with the likelihood of duplicates. At this point a polybag build included would be nice and help mitigate the sting of RNG. Getting copies of the printed tiles or "beatbits" is not a bad thing honestly.

Still I am merely looking at the minifigures as they are instead of the child friendly music video sharing platform they are supposed to be for which sounds like a good idea. While I understand this is a collaborative project between the LEGO company and Universal Music Group, I would still like to know who to actually credit for the playlist. As of now I can only surmise the tracks are copyright free or something along those lines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOrcKing said:

Those "beatbox" sets are unique and make for a nice storage display unit but twenty bucks a pop is a rough sell for essentially one minifigure in a plastic case. The characters in blind boxes upholding the tradition of randomness are an almost equally difficult sell at $5 each with the likelihood of duplicates. At this point a polybag build included would be nice and help mitigate the sting of RNG. Getting copies of the printed tiles or "beatbits" is not a bad thing honestly.

Still I am merely looking at the minifigures as they are instead of the child friendly music video sharing platform they are supposed to be for which sounds like a good idea. While I understand this is a collaborative project between the LEGO company and Universal Music Group, I would still like to know who to actually credit for the playlist. As of now I can only surmise the tracks are copyright free or something along those lines.

wow 20 bucks for a box with 1minifig? I'll wait for clearances... gonna be like hidden sides

In my honest opinion at this point, LEGO could do away with the whole "mystery figure" shenanigans. Bad enough one cannot play a video game anymore without some sort of loot crate or 'gacha' gimmick just to come back to reality for the same deal. I understand the "random pack of surprise mechanics" practice has been around for a very long time but even so fatigue wears down the soul over time especially when considering the price of entry just for a single pull at that one-armed bandit.

I can still remember the conversations with a couple different store employees at both Target and Walmart on how the Collectable Minifigure packs should simply be transparent. One of those times was after they had to clean up a mess of torn open packs. (And what a mess that was. Good grief.) I imagine these "Bandmates" being in boxes may help to negate the theft somewhat then again who am I kidding. Also more packaging just to get thrown in the trash even if it is made from recyclable material.

All day could be spent on "what you get versus what you pay" comparisons between a single albeit unique character against a minifigure along with something to build in the same price range. The $20 "beatbox" set is generally comparable to the $10 Star Wars Planets from years ago. And the $5 "mystery figure" is comparable to, well, pretty much any other readily available polybag though that's nothing new really.

With all that said, I still think these are a fun cast of characters with a nice collection of artistic prints. Only the price of admission is difficult to swallow. Then again I am and always has been a penny pinching son of a b***h so there's that.

• Like 7