Jump to content
  • 0

Do you include "extra pieces" when building sets from bulk lots?


Gottabuildemall
 Share

Question

16 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I always put the left over parts into a small ziplock bag. I sell a set I usually just keep the spare parts and spill them into my kid's Lego collection.

I think the only time I've ever provided spare parts during a sale was for some built SW UCS sets because these sets went to adult "collectors."

Edited by eliminator
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I've personally sold all my used sets with the spare parts. If the main set is fully built and has all pieces, buyers usually dont care that much.

Technically the sets aren't 100% complete if you don't include the spare parts, as they won't match up with the bricklink set inventory. So if you list as 100% complete on eBay, a buyer could file a "item not as described".

Might seem like a small oversight, but with some older sets some of the spare parts are worth a few pounds by themselves I.e. NBA / football soccer sets with spare basketballs / soccer footballs.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I can't recall anyone mentioning having an issue with the lack of the extra pieces being included.

Although I will mention that it includes the extra pieces (if avail), as this will generally be a good sign of a very well kept, nearly new set.

If you want to be extra careful (when listing), you can mention "no extra pieces are included". 

Edited by KShine
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I sell a lot of used sets. So many that I am actually getting pretty burned out on building them and doing inventory on pieces. I have never included extra pieces in my sold sets. Even if I already have the extra pieces they don't get included with the sale. I have never once been questioned by a buyer about the extra pieces not being included.

No Lego set instructions have extra pieces listed in the parts inventory, so yes, you can sell sets as "100% complete" on Ebay without them. The official set inventory is in the instructions.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, Shortbus311 said:

I sell a lot of used sets. So many that I am actually getting pretty burned out on building them and doing inventory on pieces.

I was there too. Profits are much better with used sets, but you have to work for it. For some it's fun, but after a few hundred big sets... I don't know

Why build them though? Just sort by color, print out the list of pieces & check if all the parts are there. That's the way I did it.

I did so many 75021s that way, I probably still know how many I need of every piece...

Edited by elmaslıefendi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
I was there too. Profits are much better with used sets, but you have to work for it. For some it's fun, but after a few hundred big sets... I don't know
Why build them though? Just sort by color, print out the list of pieces & check if all the parts are there. That's the way I did it.
I did so many 75021s that way, I probably still know how many I need of every piece...
I build them just for the pics to put on Ebay. It also allows me to more closely examine each piece in case there are any defects or teeth marks from kids. I replace those with pieces from my stash or Bricklink.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
34 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

I build them just for the pics to put on Ebay. It also allows me to more closely examine each piece in case there are any defects or teeth marks from kids. I replace those with pieces from my stash or Bricklink.

Same.  This is a lot more fun for me too - completing used sets.  Building helps confirm correct colors and find defective / damaged pieces - and for accurate pics too. 

I have never included "extra" pieces except for an occasional brick separator for a large or UCS set.

I have found part lists to sometimes be inaccurate, especially if a set went through a revision.  Best example of inaccurate part list / instructions is 6211 Star Destroyer (I have now built three from LOTS).  There was an additional hinge added for folding open the top body panels on both sides at some point.  Online instructions from LEGO does not show the extra hinges, nor does the primary part list on bricklink.  You have to look at the "additional" parts to find these parts. 

Then you have to pay attention to which instructions you end up pairing with the set to sell it.  If the instructions are an early printing, they will not have the extra hinges.  So if you give them the parts for the two extra hinges they will have 10 extra pieces to build the hinges for the body but won't know where to put them.  On the other hand, if you have a late printing instruction but go by the part list on bricklink, you'll be short 10 pieces and they will think you have shorted them two hinges for the body.  This is why it is always good to build the set with the instructions you are pairing with the set.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
12 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Same.  This is a lot more fun for me too - completing used sets.  Building helps confirm correct colors and find defective / damaged pieces - and for accurate pics too. 

I have never included "extra" pieces except for an occasional brick separator for a large or UCS set.

I have found part lists to sometimes be inaccurate, especially if a set went through a revision.  Best example of inaccurate part list / instructions is 6211 Star Destroyer (I have now built three from LOTS).  There was an additional hinge added for folding open the top body panels on both sides at some point.  Online instructions from LEGO does not show the extra hinges, nor does the primary part list on bricklink.  You have to look at the "additional" parts to find these parts. 

Then you have to pay attention to which instructions you end up pairing with the set to sell it.  If the instructions are an early printing, they will not have the extra hinges.  So if you give them the parts for the two extra hinges they will have 10 extra pieces to build the hinges for the body but won't know where to put them.  On the other hand, if you have a late printing instruction but go by the part list on bricklink, you'll be short 10 pieces and they will think you have shorted them two hinges for the body.  This is why it is always good to build the set with the instructions you are pairing with the set.

Yes, there are some updated versions of some sets - I recall getting dinged with a return on a Jango Fett's Slave I 7153, some year back. I had the correct/complete set, with the correct instructions - but unfortunately I verified the inventory online with the alternate build (likely removing the required pieces).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Thank you so much for all the great advice!  I'm working on sets from a "Friends" lot.  One particular set had a pair of gold binoculars in it.  But it listed 2 additional pairs on bricklink's extra parts. I found 2 of the 3 but couldn't find the 3rd, went to my own collection and of course I only had standard gray binoculars.  I found it frustrating to not complete a set when the only missing piece was an "extra".  As a collector I've typically kept extra pieces with my sets, but other than potential complete resale I had no good reason for it, especially as the inventory in the actual books don't include the extra pieces.  I think I'll save myself a lot of time by not doing the extra pieces anymore.  Thanks again for all the advice!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
12 hours ago, KShine said:

Yes, there are some updated versions of some sets - I recall getting dinged with a return on a Jango Fett's Slave I 7153, some year back. I had the correct/complete set, with the correct instructions - but unfortunately I verified the inventory online with the alternate build (likely removing the required pieces).

I almost got dinged one time because I used alternate pieces to build a set initially and didn't realize I had used the wrong color (I.E. DBG instead of LBG).  I bicklinked a shipment directly to the customer as I did not have the pieces in my own inventory.  Thankfully all was well, but it was a learning situation.

Now when I build something like a Star Wars set, if I use a substitute piece I will use a bright yellow, green, etc. so I know instantly I used a substitute piece.

The only time I have sold a set with known substitute pieces was a Jango Fett's Slave 1 - 7153.  I had bought a LEGO lot and didn't even realize I had about 90% of a 7153 in it.  (Looking back at the pics of the lot, the canopy was the only piece that stood out).  I figured out I had a Jagno Fett Salve 1 because I used the sand green wedges from its nose for a Nebulon-B MOC.  (Those sand green wedges are only found in Jango Fett's Slave 1 - 7153).  I ended up selling the 7153 with black wedges instead of sand green as well as a few other substitute pieces (10 in all).  I listed all the alternate pieces individually (part #, original color, substitute color) and took pictures of every alternate piece location.  Least to say I made sure the set looked good fully built.  It was just cost prohibitive to purchase the correct pieces in order to sell it again.  In the end it really helped offset the cost of the lot I had purchased.

Edited by exracer327
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
8 hours ago, Gottabuildemall said:

Thank you so much for all the great advice!  I'm working on sets from a "Friends" lot.  One particular set had a pair of gold binoculars in it.  But it listed 2 additional pairs on bricklink's extra parts. I found 2 of the 3 but couldn't find the 3rd, went to my own collection and of course I only had standard gray binoculars.  I found it frustrating to not complete a set when the only missing piece was an "extra".  As a collector I've typically kept extra pieces with my sets, but other than potential complete resale I had no good reason for it, especially as the inventory in the actual books don't include the extra pieces.  I think I'll save myself a lot of time by not doing the extra pieces anymore.  Thanks again for all the advice!

Personally, I have not found used Friends sets as rewarding.  Lots of small, hard to find pieces with color variations that are so subtle if a bricklink store doesn't pay attention you can end up buying the same pieces several times over.  I.E. Purple, magenta, dark pink, bright pink, and medium lavender are all colors found in the Dolphin Cruiser 41015.  If you're wondering where the purple shows up, there is a hair accessory set (15 pieces) that goes with this set, but it is nowhere found on the bricklink inventory.  It is clearly found on p. 78 of instruction book 2.  You can purchase the pieces individually on bricklink.  Sadly, I had to order a few pieces more than once because I was sent the wrong color.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Personally, I have not found used Friends sets as rewarding.  Lots of small, hard to find pieces with color variations that are so subtle if a bricklink store doesn't pay attention you can end up buying the same pieces several times over.  I.E. Purple, magenta, dark pink, bright pink, and medium lavender are all colors found in the Dolphin Cruiser 41015.  If you're wondering where the purple shows up, there is a hair accessory set (15 pieces) that goes with this set, but it is nowhere found on the bricklink inventory.  It is clearly found on p. 78 of instruction book 2.  You can purchase the pieces individually on bricklink.  Sadly, I had to order a few pieces more than once because I was sent the wrong color.
Yes, Friends sets can be annoying with all the different lavender, purple, pink and magenta shades. Some of my highest profit margins for used sets have come from the Friends line though. I don't think most folks think of "girls Lego" as holding much value so they sell them a lot cheaper. I think I bought 3 used Grand Hotels this past year to sell and the cost of all 3 combined was less than what I sold just 1 of them for.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
16 hours ago, exracer327 said:

Personally, I have not found used Friends sets as rewarding.  Lots of small, hard to find pieces with color variations that are so subtle if a bricklink store doesn't pay attention you can end up buying the same pieces several times over.  I.E. Purple, magenta, dark pink, bright pink, and medium lavender are all colors found in the Dolphin Cruiser 41015.  If you're wondering where the purple shows up, there is a hair accessory set (15 pieces) that goes with this set, but it is nowhere found on the bricklink inventory.  It is clearly found on p. 78 of instruction book 2.  You can purchase the pieces individually on bricklink.  Sadly, I had to order a few pieces more than once because I was sent the wrong color.

This year I bought two bulk lots of Friends (and other "girl" lego).  They're all sets that I don't have in my collection as I've never collected those themes before.  The last bulk set I bought was roughly 7 years ago.  I have an almost 2 year old girl now and am throwing as many duplo at her as possible to encourage the love of lego.  I figure she'll enjoy the Friends sets in the future.  Between the two lots there may be a few duplicate sets, but I'm not sure if I'd sell or just save them for her to free play with.  But I do try to complete sets in my collection with the idea that they may be sold in the future.  I've completed maybe a dozen sets so far and there are definitely some frustrations, but I'm still enjoying the process overall.  Not trying to keep up with extra pieces will make up for the frustration of having to purchase some pieces individually on bricklink in the future (I hope).  Either way - I'm having fun! :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...