Super Mario 2021

• 2 months later...
57 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

Delete if not allowed, but didn't see this posted

http://bricksfanz.com/mario-bros-unite-as-lego-luigi-is-revealed/

Kind of wish they put another Koopaling in here instead of that mid-level boss... and this marks the beginning of the multicolored Yoshi cash grab 🤪

I like it. SMB seems to be a hit. A few smaller sets retiring this summer, should be interesting. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How are others feeling about Mario sets?

Many of them are getting pretty deeply discounted. I see the whole theme as a bit of a flop, but given the significance of the Mario brand I wonder if they have longer term potential...

I'm getting tempted.

I was hyped when they were first announced.  I was at my local Lego store the morning of release and picked up a bulk of the sets.  I did not open any sets, but I did open a set of the mini characters builds (easily to display like a minifig).  After thinking more about them, they do not display well for me and really are designed to be played with.  Too young for my toddler at the moment, so I returned all of them towards the Barracuda set.  I only collect the mini characters (need series 3 now).  I did keep the starter Mario set as I have the NES too (have yet to build) since the Mario interacts with the NES set.

Being a Nintendo fan, hard to say the set will have long lasting appeal for any collector for display only, but maybe if some kids like Nintendo and want to play with some Mario themed sets?

13 hours ago, MrSam said:

How are others feeling about Mario sets?

Many of them are getting pretty deeply discounted. I see the whole theme as a bit of a flop, but given the significance of the Mario brand I wonder if they have longer term potential...

I'm getting tempted.

I could see the brick built characters having the appeal more than the sets(I. e. the bowser figure > castle). However if they do Peach's castle with the same detail as the 71391 ship I think we have a home run set.... This is coming from a Nintendo fan boy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...