I just don't get S@H!

comicblast

I was looking at some of the sets on LEGO Shop at Home and I came across the CHI Battles set from Chima. See the attached image.

Labelled "New" and "Retiring Soon". Is it just me or does this not make sense?

It doesn't make much sense unless they are going to temporarily retire it then bring it back a month or two later because of a production shortage or something. I can't think of another reason they would do this. (It might be a mistake, Idk.) What do you think?

My hope was that Lego was going to come out and say that Chima was an awful idea and we have decided to cancel any further production of it, and move on to bigger and better ideas. I would rather have them stay with Ninjago, and I couldn't stand that either. If Ninjago = Star Wars, then Chima = Prince of Persia. I know it probably won't be as bad a PoP, but I am not going to take the risk.

1. Chima sets are overpriced, but that is almost universally true of new themes as Lego is always trying to push prices upward as any corporation would. 2. Not the best designs for sets - Chima sets really should be designed for play which goes to the core target audience. On a playability level it is not too bad, my kids and cub scouts love them. 3. Minifigures are good - well designed minifigures and who doesn't love animals? 4. The TV series only had a two episode premiere and now we wait until the series comes out in a couple months. Not clear to me how waiting helps as kids have a short attention span? The six to nine year old boys really liked the premiere and can't wait for more episodes. 5. Short-lived sets - I think this is a very interesting experiment and I can't wait to see how it plays out. If it is really successful with Chima, might Lego use it on other themes? Like Star Wars? It might be a strategic weapon to use against competitors, I don't think Kreo or Megabloks could keep up with new sets every two or three months!

4. The TV series only had a two episode premiere and now we wait until the series comes out in a couple months. Not clear to me how waiting helps as kids have a short attention span? The six to nine year old boys really liked the premiere and can't wait for more episodes.

I would guess LEGO is trying to get two bites at the "product introduction" apple. Theoretically, it makes some sense - get everyone excited about the Chima theme by broadcasting two "foundation" shows and introducing the first sets of the theme, then get another demand spike when the series debuts 5-6 months later (and right before the end of the school year).

With a four year old boy at home, I can tell you that he and a good number of his friends (the same crew that loved Ninjago) watched the first two episodes, bought a set or two, and are now waiting anxiously for the series to start in earnest. I have been amazed how quickly my son has taken to Chima - I think the animal-type characters really appeal to him. I am surprised that Chima didn't release any large "fortress" type sets in their first release run, but I understand there are one or two that will be released in the mid-2013 Chima line.

I have no idea whether Chima will be a winner in the investment world or not, but it seems to me that LEGO is 100% behind this theme, and likley considers this an important expansion of their product line. I don't see Chima "imploding" or going away anytime soon.

If anyone's son is like mine........5-6 months down the road they have long forgoten about the pilot episode. That is waaaaay to long to keep a kid hanging. They will just move on to something else.

Not just kids...in five or six months my brain has long moved on to new things, and it isn't so good at remembering the old ones.