have lego broken the law (eu,uk)

joneyyy1981

Question

ok, i mentioned it on here when the news broke about the re-release or the saturn v & ship in a bottle.

have lego broken advertising laws by misleading the consumer?

they have advertised a set as retiring soon, then retired only to re release it within a year?

"its now or never, here is your last chance to buy these sets before they are gone forever'  both these sets was advertised with this.

now those who say what about taj and others etc, they are all different builds, these 2 re released ideas sets are said to be the EXACT same build?

Under the Consumer Protection Act 2007, advertising is seen as misleading if it involves false, misleading or deceptive information that is likely to cause the average consumer to act in a way they might otherwise not.

• The advertisement creates a false impression about a product or service, even if the information given is correct.

to me they have mislead the consumer.

thoughts. 

p.s i have NO saturn V or ship in a bottles

16 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

New set number, any changes to the box, any changes to the directions, any new pieces?

That to me designates a new set, regardless how you or I think about it.

i don't think its easy as that. everyone would do it. its not about a new set. it the  misleading the consumer. they openly admit its the same set., same box, same parts.

Edited by joneyyy1981

No.

When you go down the legal route, all big companies have compliance departments which make sure they adhere to UK / EU etc regulations. Lego are one of the better companies IMO when it comes to advertising/ marketing, unlike other companies in UK like sports direct / DFS always closing down sale etc.

There is no legal definition of what "retirement" means from a lego perspective. As they are a private company, it is just their interpretation.

If anyone took them to court the case would get thrown out immediately.

30 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

i don't think its easy as that. everyone would do it. its not about a new set. it the  misleading the consumer. they openly admit its the same set., same box, same parts.

Any time a company uses "Limited Edition", it's also misleading consumers, but it's done all the time. I can produce three billion of something and call it a Limited Edition and still be covered. Although the average consumer might think only 10,000 have been produced and cause them to buy it for fear they can't get it later.

I thought Lego has already stated Saturn and SIAB were going to have a different set numbers? That would seem to preclude them legally from your argument.

It's no different than Hasbro re-releasing the exact same figure, five years later, with new packaging.

• Like 1

Lego have only broken the hearts of most resellers, not the law IMHO. Plenty of sets have been re-released even with the same pieces like the Technic Race Truck, which was also given a new set number - no fuss was made then. More people are happy about the new Saturn V than not, so Lego have simply satisfied demand. If resellers are that pissed off, they can simply adapt or get out. I doubt Lego cares one iota and I'm sure have themselves covered. I don't like the re-releases either, but I just get on with it.

16 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Any time a company uses "Limited Edition", it's also misleading consumers, but it's done all the time. I can produce three billion of something and call it a Limited Edition and still be covered. Although the average consumer might think only 10,000 have been produced and cause them to buy it for fear they can't get it later.

I thought Lego has already stated Saturn and SIAB were going to have a different set numbers? That would seem to preclude them legally from your argument.

It's no different than Hasbro re-releasing the exact same figure, five years later, with new packaging.

Your 10K comment got me thinking about MBS. So technically they could reissue this one even though they clearly stated it was limited to 10K. 

Has it been confirmed that the SATURN V will be the same exact set and not this ideas version?

E98E6172-D622-4722-9E6F-3C8DDB43BAB5.jpeg

626DED97-812F-41C4-927E-417836E92D43.jpeg

Since Burj Khalifa came back under a new number, so can Marina Bay Sands. TBH I'd sell MBS now if I had any, just in case. 92176 is rumoured to be the same as 21309, but we'll just have to wait a few more weeks. My 21309s have gone for £105 each offline, but I still make £20 and a free 21312 Women of NASA with each one. I'll be surprised if the new RRP is the same as Lego do like to hike prices, I'll make a guess as £129.99.

Why are you guys still discussing this? It will be a new set number, same piece count (maaaaybe difference of 1 piece), same box art, under the IDEAS theme & same price!

It's the same set. It's unfortunate for many of us, but that's just the way it is. 

It is also likely that both sets will be available everywhere, no exclusives. Be ready for prices at 30% off without Black Friday.

1 hour ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Why are you guys still discussing this? It will be a new set number, same piece count (maaaaybe difference of 1 piece), same box art, under the IDEAS theme & same price!

It's the same set. It's unfortunate for many of us, but that's just the way it is. 

It is also likely that both sets will be available everywhere, no exclusives. Be ready for prices at 30% off without Black Friday.

I've not seen the official "launch" from Lego, just hearsay from media and other forums. Lego can get away with a much higher RRP, and I'm just surprised (and pleased) if they don't. I could be tempted to replace my 21309 with 92176, but I'll wait until the big discounts closer to EOL - which could be many years away 😉

3 hours ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Because the topic was about TLG breaking some sort of law, which I think is absurd. 

11 hours ago, BorderTerrier said:

Since Burj Khalifa came back under a new number, so can Marina Bay Sands. TBH I'd sell MBS now if I had any, just in case. 92176 is rumoured to be the same as 21309, but we'll just have to wait a few more weeks. My 21309s have gone for £105 each offline, but I still make £20 and a free 21312 Women of NASA with each one. I'll be surprised if the new RRP is the same as Lego do like to hike prices, I'll make a guess as £129.99.

The two Burj sets were significantly different, not an exact re-release.

ok, i was bored so emailed lego, this is my response... basically the email was not about legal issues or suing anybody. just a moral standpoint.

Hi XXXXX

Thanks for getting in touch with us. I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We are over 5 days behind in our email service and are working hard to catch up as quickly as we can.

I am also very sorry for the confusion regarding the LEGO Idea's sets 21309 - LEGO NASA Apollo Saturn V and 21313- Ship in a Bottle.  Both of these products retired in 2019 and will not be coming back in stock.  When I check for these sets on the LEGO.com website, they both are showing as Retired Products.  Would you happen to have a screen shot of the returning soon information?  If you do, can you please send it to me directly and I will pass it to our team.  You can email me at [email protected] and be sure to make it to XXXX in the subject line.

After a set retires, we stop making the product and change the status on the website so our fans know that it is know longer being offered on the shop site. You're right that if something is showing as Retired , it gives a false impression if we bring it  back, and this is not the case with these two products on the LEGO.com website.

LEGO sets that are marked as Retiring soon are still available for purchase on the website as long as we have them in stock.  If the inventory is gone, the product will show as Sold Out when you click on the item box to add it to your cart.  Temporarily Sold Out on our website means we plan to get more of the products back in the shipping warehouse, whereas Sold Out means that we may not be replacing the inventory any longer.

Please accept my deepest apologies for the confusion on the LEGO.com regarding the LEGO Saturn V and Ship In a Bottle sets.  Thank you for letting us know and I appreicate you sendng in screenshots of this to me so I can send it to the appropriate departments.

so i reply, then get this 😁😁😁

Hi XXXXX

Thanks for getting back to me and for sharing the letter you received from the LEGO Ambassador Network. I'm very glad you shared this information with me, as sometimes in Customer Service, we feel like the last group to know.  I let my colleagues in on the re-launch of these two LEGO Ideas sets and everyone is quite happy about it!

I'm sure our fans will be thrilled to be able to get a re-launched version of the LEGO NASA Apollo Saturn V  and LEGO Ship in a Bottle sets, too. Since the original parts numbers are retired and the products are being re-launched, new product numbers are assigned and this is why I could not find anything about them in our system.  The release dates have not been provided to us yet, but hopefully they will be available in the new few months, maybe even in time for the holidays!

These two LEGO Ideas products were retired in 2019. It's good to see they are both being relaunched again almost a year later, so LEGO fans who missed them the first time can purchase these sets again.  We have relaunched LEGO products in the past, and in a closer proximity time than these LEGO Ideas sets. The LEGO Star Wars Death Star and LEGO Millennium Falcons are two that immediately come to mind. I appreciate your concern over false advertising and misleading LEGO fans and am passing your comments and feedback to the appropriate departments.

Thanks again for getting back to me and for sharing this fantastic news! Personally, I hope this is a "new" beginning for re-launching LEGO Ideas sets. It would be great to see some old favorites back on the LEGO.com website and in LEGO stores again.

i know some don't care. basically they saying, we re release what we want, thats why we change number and a minor part, so idiots like you leave us alone. 😁

Edited by joneyyy1981

10 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

ok, i was bored so emailed lego, this is my response... basically the email was not about legal issues or suing anybody. just a moral standpoint.

Hi XXXXX

Thanks for getting in touch with us. I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We are over 5 days behind in our email service and are working hard to catch up as quickly as we can.

I am also very sorry for the confusion regarding the LEGO Idea's sets 21309 - LEGO NASA Apollo Saturn V and 21313- Ship in a Bottle.  Both of these products retired in 2019 and will not be coming back in stock.  When I check for these sets on the LEGO.com website, they both are showing as Retired Products.  Would you happen to have a screen shot of the returning soon information?  If you do, can you please send it to me directly and I will pass it to our team.  You can email me at [email protected] and be sure to make it to XXXX in the subject line.

After a set retires, we stop making the product and change the status on the website so our fans know that it is know longer being offered on the shop site. You're right that if something is showing as Retired , it gives a false impression if we bring it  back, and this is not the case with these two products on the LEGO.com website.

LEGO sets that are marked as Retiring soon are still available for purchase on the website as long as we have them in stock.  If the inventory is gone, the product will show as Sold Out when you click on the item box to add it to your cart.  Temporarily Sold Out on our website means we plan to get more of the products back in the shipping warehouse, whereas Sold Out means that we may not be replacing the inventory any longer.

Please accept my deepest apologies for the confusion on the LEGO.com regarding the LEGO Saturn V and Ship In a Bottle sets.  Thank you for letting us know and I appreicate you sendng in screenshots of this to me so I can send it to the appropriate departments.

so i reply, then get this 😁😁😁

Hi XXXXX

Thanks for getting back to me and for sharing the letter you received from the LEGO Ambassador Network. I'm very glad you shared this information with me, as sometimes in Customer Service, we feel like the last group to know.  I let my colleagues in on the re-launch of these two LEGO Ideas sets and everyone is quite happy about it!

I'm sure our fans will be thrilled to be able to get a re-launched version of the LEGO NASA Apollo Saturn V  and LEGO Ship in a Bottle sets, too. Since the original parts numbers are retired and the products are being re-launched, new product numbers are assigned and this is why I could not find anything about them in our system.  The release dates have not been provided to us yet, but hopefully they will be available in the new few months, maybe even in time for the holidays!

These two LEGO Ideas products were retired in 2019. It's good to see they are both being relaunched again almost a year later, so LEGO fans who missed them the first time can purchase these sets again.  We have relaunched LEGO products in the past, and in a closer proximity time than these LEGO Ideas sets. The LEGO Star Wars Death Star and LEGO Millennium Falcons are two that immediately come to mind. I appreciate your concern over false advertising and misleading LEGO fans and am passing your comments and feedback to the appropriate departments.

Thanks again for getting back to me and for sharing this fantastic news! Personally, I hope this is a "new" beginning for re-launching LEGO Ideas sets. It would be great to see some old favorites back on the LEGO.com website and in LEGO stores again.

i know some don't care.

Alot of people in customer services don't really have much info apart from what there told. Not everyone working at lego is going to follow the latest news aswell, they just see it as a job at the bottom of the ladder earning minimum wage.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roxio said:

There are 3 Burj sets, 21008, 21031, 21055 - the last one is a re-release

1 hour ago, BorderTerrier said:

No they weren't, 21031 and 21055 are identical. I wasn't around when 21008 was.

You're right, I learned something new today.  So this was specifically done for Dubai and is now available in the the UK.

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-architecture-21055-burj-khalifa-available-for-uk-fans/