Alternative Brands and Shops (investing/building)

Posted (edited)

What's everybody's experience building brick sets from non-LEGO brands like Cobi, MEGA, Xingbao, Wange, QMan, Sembo and so forth?

Do you think there's good/any investment potential in these alternative brands' sets? MEGA and Cobi have (already proven) potential for sure, but what those Chinese manufacturers?

Another point I'd like to address and hear your thoughts about here:
In Germany there's this company called Blue Brixx, whose progression and altercations with TLG I've been following very closely over the last months, mainly due to its "David vs Goliath" appeal. They are pretty serious not only about distributing alternative brands (now even being THE official main importer for Xingbao) in Europe but also about establishing their very own product lines, featuring trains (https://www.bluebrixx.com/en/bluebrixxspecials/trains), buildings, space station stuff - they also have made licensing deals (sets for "Kingdom Come Deliverance" coming up), offer their own parts packs, are starting to make their own printed parts and they'll soon be opening their 3rd B&M store. I can imagine TLG has a growing stomach ache with Blue Brixx as they are rapidly growing and gaining popularity (on the Geman market) - already having handed out one or two restraining orders to the company (very interesting topic by the way, since this case could lead to a final clarification on the question "how close" other brands' minifigures are allowed to resemble LEGO's minifigures). Do you think small companys like this can cause TLG serious trouble in the future concerning market share?

Are there companies like this in the U.S., UK or other markets as well that could enlarge the problem for TLG?

Edited by Frank Brickowski

I never heard of BlueBrixx until now but you certainly piqued my interest with that bit about Kingdom Come: Deliverance. For a license the game isn't "old", just an unusual pick perhaps. Well I just saw some of the designs in a video on their YouTube channel and the sets appear to mostly be in a scale akin to LEGO's Architecture line. (I realize BlueBrixx has Castle Talmberg listed under the Architecture category of their own website.) The preview builds seem fine far as a render goes though I imagine better when physically complete.

My own experience with any off-brand would be Best-Lock where in spite of a merger with Cobi years ago, their quality is (or was) quite poor compared to Cobi from what I have heard being actually decent. Speaking of which I vaguely recall Cobi having the license for World of Tanks followed by World of Warships. I have no idea how ongoing either line continues to be. My only other off-brand experience was Oxford under the Hasbro Kre-O branding. The quality was, dare I say, on par with LEGO.

Back to BlueBrixx, I see a long list of brands listed down the left side; a number of which showing product for many well-known properties between Peanuts to Godzilla begging the question are these legitimately licensed sets?

I can confirm that Peanuts is licensed. I’ve been to Knott’s Berry Farm here in SoCal, and Knott’s has had the license to the characters for the rides.

I’ve seen these sets for sale inside the park. On the surface, they look interesting, but the quality looks suspect when you look at them up close.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I can confirm that Peanuts is licensed. I’ve been to Knott’s Berry Farm here in SoCal, and Knott’s has had the license to the characters for the rides.

I’ve seen these sets for sale inside the park. On the surface, they look interesting, but the quality looks suspect when you look at them up close.

I’ve been to Knotts. That place was fantastic.👍

Anyway , carry on.....😁