Unopened Lego sets: How important is the condition of the box?

Guest RBT

I recently joined this wonderful little site and finally have a question I thought it would be worth asking the forum: How important is the condition of the box when it comes to the long-term value of an unopened Lego set? I ask because I recently ordered the Lego Haunted House (10228-1) from Amazon, and when it arrived, the box was more beat up than I was expecting. (Mild to medium creasing/bending in several spots, plus a severe crease on one of the side flaps, which also happens to be taped shut. By the way, is that last bit normal? Can't remember any Lego boxes I've purchased at the store being taped, but maybe that's typical for these huge sets.) Anyway, should I go through the hassle of returning it? Or is it what's inside that counts? And just how worried should I be about that tape?

I recently joined this wonderful little site and finally have a question I thought it would be worth asking the forum: How important is the condition of the box when it comes to the long-term value of an unopened Lego set? I ask because I recently ordered the Lego Haunted House (10228-1) from Amazon, and when it arrived, the box was more beat up than I was expecting. (Mild to medium creasing/bending in several spots, plus a severe crease on one of the side flaps, which also happens to be taped shut. By the way, is that last bit normal? Can't remember any Lego boxes I've purchased at the store being taped, but maybe that's typical for these huge sets.)

Anyway, should I go through the hassle of returning it? Or is it what's inside that counts? And just how worried should I be about that tape?

You could ask for a replacement, yes - and send the "more damaged box" back. I've seen others do this up to 5 times.

Amazon might opt to offer you partial refund too - in my case, I got $44 refunded, making Tower Bridge (10214) cost only $175 for me!

Yes, many LEGO sets are "factory-taped". Do you see any numbers on the tapes?

Yes, many LEGO sets are "factory-taped". Do you see any numbers on the tapes?

Yes, there is definitely printing on the tape. I take it that's a good sign and means the box remains factory sealed?

I get wanting the most presentable box possible, but, to me, returning it up to five times sounds like a huge hassle! Especially if I'm not costing myself much in long-term value by just keeping the box I have.

I'm also guessing that the bigger the box, the harder it is to get one in perfect shape?

Yes, there is definitely printing on the tape. I take it that's a good sign and means the box remains factory sealed?

I get wanting the most presentable box possible, but, to me, returning it up to five times sounds like a huge hassle! Especially if I'm not costing myself much in long-term value by just keeping the box I have.

I'm also guessing that the bigger the box, the harder it is to get one in perfect shape?

Correct, if you see some sort of numbering on tapes, then as long as it's not elaborately fraudulent taping, you're fine ;)

And yes - bigger boxes tend to get creasing & "bent ends".

Honestly, personally, I don't worry too much about it anymore - check out my 2nd thread ever on this forum (it includes pixs):

http://www.brickpicker.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/1257/

I worried a lot about condition of that box, and looking back, I think I worried a bit too much ;)

Bottom line: I am of belief that many people who buys sets off you (if you're in this for investing) are going to want to build it for themselves, rather than buying off you to invest into it themselves. If they're going to build, then the condition of box matters much lesser.

From your description I would return it without a doubt. When the time comes to say list on Ebay, you will not have to include pictures of the damage, describe it. I know it is a pain but at least try once. From reading these posts I would hesitate to buy a large set from Amazon. I bought the Vampyre Castle today at TRU for $79.99, and it sure was nice to be able to pick out a perfect box. I had to return one to Lego and it was actually easy plus they paid for the shipping. I liked learning that Target does a very good job packing their Legos so will try them. I want to also buy the Haunted House but am waiting for Lego to have a sale and may just spend the time and gas to drive the hour to a Lego store to pick out the box. I just hate to buy an expensive set with dents, creases, etc.