LEGO Art 2020

Being able to have three variants like a Creator 3-in-1 is nice.  Also the ability to make a unique 3-board mural is a neat concept.  Not sure I'm going to spend $360 to do it, but I bet it looks neat in person.

52230_31200_SW_2HY20_18.jpg

52230_31200_SW_2HY20_12.jpg

Edited by MusiKyle
  • Like 1

Dots for adults. I like it.

Both of my kids have loved the Dots line and have had a great time coming up with their own patterns.

While this has a more directed feel with the detailed pictures, I could see this appealing to many who are not typically drawn to Lego. My wife thinks it’s cool, fwiw.

6 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

awfully pricey for a bunch f non-unique 1x1 tiles

the unique base-plate and directions seem like all one needs to reproduce.

you forgot about the uniquely curated soundtrack that brings you into the world of your favorite icons.

someone needs to fire the PR person on this campaign for not finding a way to incorporate the word "mindful" or even better - "mindfullness" into the blathering to really justify the price point.

Edited by cladner

5 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Considering it's only about .03 pp it's not the most ridiculous pricing for Lego really.  I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up on sale at some point and makes it a little bit more enticing.

Physical pixel art, heck yeah. Decent canvas about the size of a record album cover, good definition in the palette of colors chosen, and overall well done including the usage of rounded studs or tiles over square ones. Perhaps nothing unique parts wise aside from the printed tile down in the bottom right corner but I suppose those times when you really need a pound of 1x1 tiles for a project. Haha.

In any case, this is a great selection of artwork to begin with and I hope to see more (officially or by the fans).

• Like 1

https://www.lego.com/en-us/campaigns/art/the-sith

Looking over the details on the LEGO website, these are quite large.  Maybe around 2' x 2' (one set).

Based on the pic of the guy building (about 40% down the webpage, just after the large Vader pic) is the backing he's working with a new piece?  Or is that just a plate with round bricks for the 1x1 plates to go on top of?

Edit:  Just saw the video below.  The backing is a 16x16 brick.

Edited by exracer327

1 minute ago, joch29 said:

Build 1 of 3 detailed portraits of Iron Man’s armor, the MARK III, the HULKBUSTER MARK I or the MARK LXXXV. If you want more, buy and combine 3 sets into an ultimate Iron Man piece. 

31199-lego-art-iron-man_2-600x344.jpg

I was wondering if there was a 3-in-1 Iron Man pic.  I like it, but I'm not sure where I (my wife) would (allow me to) hang a 6'x2' LEGO pic of Iron Man. 

1 minute ago, exracer327 said:

I was wondering if there was a 3-in-1 Iron Man pic.  I like it, but I'm not sure where I (my wife) would (allow me to) hang a 6'x2' LEGO pic of Iron Man. 

lol.. I'm sold on this.. Will go nice with my HotToys Hulkbuster that's on it's way here. :) 

I think Sith and the Beatles are the winners here. Sith due to the SW draw, 3 different characters, and combined aspect, and Beatles because of the combo of the 4 and cultural appeal. 

I don't need to make 3 different Iron-Men ( or is it mans? haha) or 4 different Monroes even if it is Warhol.

If it really is geared to adults, perhaps they would be a bit more lax on the "adult material". I'd love to see a Godfather / Veto Corleone.

Other idea would be a sports stadium, possibly the 3 in 1 could be baseball, football, or soccer (ample black and green could be used in all)

4 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

FWIW, according to New Elementary, there are SIXTEEN recolors in the 1x1 pieces for these sets...at least 14 brand new and 2 previously retired.  So a little more unique (for now).

6 hours ago, thedingman5 said:

FWIW, according to New Elementary, there are SIXTEEN recolors in the 1x1 pieces for these sets...at least 14 brand new and 2 previously retired.  So a little more unique (for now).

I just finished reading up on the mentioned New Elementary article. It would appear there is quite a bit more special and exclusive to these builds than I had originally thought. The new 16x16 Technic baseplate piece thingy is very interesting. Also if LEGO had to bring some parts "out of production in a certain color" back then perhaps this means those bits may be used in future sets.

7 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

I just finished reading up on the mentioned New Elementary article. It would appear there is quite a bit more special and exclusive to these builds than I had originally thought. The new 16x16 Technic baseplate piece thingy is very interesting. Also if LEGO had to bring some parts "out of production in a certain color" back then perhaps this means those bits may be used in future sets.

Yep. I think Lego just decided to go all in on the 1x1 a-la DOTS and ART. 

I personally like the POP ART one, but would want someone other than Marilyn. Looking forward to more in the future, but these aren't for me.

Good investment? No idea. But as cool as the final product looks for these I will not be buying for personal use. I would not enjoy building these, and a fun build is the primary reason I enjoy Lego. This is essentially Lego paint by numbers. No thanks - not for me, especially not at that price point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HappyHawkeye said:

Good investment? No idea. But as cool as the final product looks for these I will not be buying for personal use. I would not enjoy building these, and a fun build is the primary reason I enjoy Lego. This is essentially Lego paint by numbers. No thanks - not for me, especially not at that price point.

think of it more as childcare for 3-5 hours

painting by numbers is perfect for ages 5-8

• Like 1
  • Haha 1