Galaxy Squad - general discussion

terrymc4677

So far only the polybags for me...waiting to see if they add any large sets to the series. Seems like since Atlantis or maybe just bf that, Lego seems to just start off with a few smalll/medium sized sets to test the market...the TMNT theme is on the same path.

Chima seemed to be on a similar path too, with the first theme release including no bases (the diminutive 70011 Eagle Castle not withstanding).  Apparently, Lego liked what they saw with the first run because the second release was green lighted and includes two bases and a combination base/vehicle.

• 6 months later...

There are 10 sets (don't include the poly bags) released in 2013. I got 5 sets namely 70701,70702,70704,70705 & 70708. For certain reason 70703 very hard to find in malaysia. Soon I will buy 70709 which is the last set in 2013. 70706 & 70707 not attract my attention. It's like no effort in designing them. The sets I owned is very good in design and playability. Some can split into two different vehicle or robot. The 70708 can even walk! Looking forward to 2014 sets

The first wave were literally moved like molasses at 50% off at Target over the summer.  It took 70% for it to clear out.  In my neck of the woods, 30% off does not stay around to make it to 50% off.  

That is very true. It took forever to clear out the stores of Galaxy Squad sets over the summer during the clearance. In my area, it went to about 50% off for all the sets to sell out.

They move very slowly here as well. A shame really as they are nice sets. Investment wise I don't see much in them.

I am however buying several off the 70701 swarm interceptor sets. Great looking ship and cheap. Going to have a squdron off them for my spaceport MOC :D

I agree. They are really nice set that are good for collections, but not for investments at MSRP.

When my Target had three of the biggest sets for Galaxy Squad at half off, the Hive Crawler sold out in a day, Vermin Vaporizer took a little bit longer (about a week), and Bug Obliterator ended up sticking around the longest (almost the month) which is weird. These are great sets if you are into space stuff; plus every one of them is like an army builder.

• 4 weeks later...

I decided against a Hive Crawler at half price.  I'm pretty sure that the Hive Crawler will reach retail price over time, it's just that I don't want to wait that long.  Galaxy Squad sets are okay investments, but there are better investments out there, like Superheroes and LOTR.

There also always seems to be some kind of space/galaxy/aliens theme available, so it doesn't seem like there is really any time for some of the older sets to appreciate.  Heck, even now you can still get pre-Galaxy space themes at online retailers at or near retail, so there seems to be little opportunity to make any decent profits.

Guest eightbrick

I wrote an article about line one (and submitted one for line two awhile ago). Heheh, my predictions were way to high back then. The thing about space themes is you have to get a considerable amount of people hooked before retiring them so you have people who want sets to finish off their collection. Mars Mission has been the only recent space theme that has been able to do that. Space Police might have been a bit too Star Wars-y to survive and IMO the aliens in Alien Conquest were really lame. Star Wars, especially with the new movies coming out, keeps killing sci-fi lines, and AFOL demand will likely be drawn to the new Lego Movie ship rather than going back and filling in the missing sets in their Galaxy Squad collection. That said, these sets are some of the funnest designs by Lego (eg. Hive Crawler) in the space theme yet. Not sure that will help though.

PS Tabby: Gimme all your mini mechs! All of them! :D

I bought one of each when they were half price.  I figured they'd be great for playability for my son someday.  If not, no biggie. 

I agree. Some reasons why I purchased most of the Cars and Toy Story sets between 30% and 70% off retail. Luckily, I was able to sell dups if popular sets like Woody's Round-up, Mack's Truck, and the Western Train for very nice profits to more than makeup for the not so in-demand sets like the Pizza and Dump trucks.

Target Canada had these on clearance throughout the holidays. Personally i had no interest in them from an investment standpoint, but i really love the Galaxy Mech for my collection, so i grabbed one at 50% off. I've got him posed squashing one of the bugs under it's foot and pointing the massive chain gun down at him. Looks great on display :D

I've always liked any kind of "Mech" since the Life on Mars red and blue Mechs years and years ago.