75278 - D-O

TheOrcKing

21 minutes ago, HandyHand said:

Agree with JANG. I have no intention whatsoever to add this set to my Lego Star Wars collection.

The only part I disagree with him about is the character in the last movie. 

Yes, it had a back story, but it's only purpose in the movie was to give the location of the thing the heroes were looking for.  It served no other purpose... except merchandising.  But then again, there was a lot of merchandising in that last movie. 

It is a shame Disney didn't spend more time on actual character and story development than merchandising.  If they had, maybe they would have sold more merchandise.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

The only part I disagree with him about is the character in the last movie. 

Yes, it had a back story, but it's only purpose in the movie was to give the location of the thing the heroes were looking for.  It served no other purpose... except merchandising.  But then again, there was a lot of merchandising in that last movie. 

It is a shame Disney didn't spend more time on actual character and story development than merchandising.  If they had, maybe they would have sold more merchandise.

Yes, agree with you as well about that. The sequel trilogy is, in my opinion, a botched up job. With different directors taking the story left, then right, then left again, annulling each other's set ups and coming up with ridiculous plots. Meant as a Star Wars fan service, it didn't service my inner Star Wars fan. As far as I'm concerned the Star Wars movies ended at Episode VI.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HandyHand said:

Yes, agree with you as well about that. The sequel trilogy is, in my opinion, a botched up job. With different directors taking the story left, then right, then left again, annulling each other's set ups and coming up with ridiculous plots. Meant as a Star Wars fan service, it didn't service my inner Star Wars fan. As far as I'm concerned the Star Wars movies ended at Episode VI.

IDK...I felt a general dis-satisfaction after the prequels but have recently found that they grew on me...decade or so later 🙂 (without the previous expectations). Maybe these films will be similar.  I am a general fan of more content (even if its crap) rather than waiting 2-3 years before a major film. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HandyHand said:

Well, it's no 10240 UCS X-Wing which was considered a 💩 for years after it retired. But even that set is now selling for nearly double MSRP at 4.5 years after retirement. :P

Not everything is guaranteed to sell well after EOL.  75177 FO heavy scout walker can still be found on ebay below MSRP (even in the midst of this pandemic).

I don't think DO will do as poorly as 75177, but considering how expensive DO is right now, it'll take a pretty deep discount before there is any money to be had from selling this after EOL.  Don't forget, DO has never gone backorder in the midst of this pandemic either.  Just saying...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, exracer327 said:

Not everything is guaranteed to sell well after EOL.  75177 FO heavy scout walker can still be found on ebay below MSRP (even in the midst of this pandemic).

I don't think DO will do as poorly as 75177, but considering how expensive DO is right now, it'll take a pretty deep discount before there is any money to be had from selling this after EOL.  Don't forget, DO has never gone backorder in the midst of this pandemic either.  Just saying...

Oh no, I'm not even putting DO in the shadow of a pretty good UCS set. :P 

And I have several turds in my inventory that won't move at all no matter what. So I know well enough that even time can't save every set. ;) 

• Like 3

I was just in target this evening.  Only one or two of each LEGO set except DO and the T-16/Bantha Microfighter set.  There were five of each.
Yeah, my Targets look a little better than that. Plenty of D-O out there though. Weird that it is currently sold out at SaH. Completionists who have the other droids will want this one as well. Guessing that most are waiting for the inevitable 20-30% price drop.