'Classic' Space - general discussion

legotrader

It's just my opinion, but I think that the early Space sets , called the 'Classic' series was what started Lego on its way to world sci-fi toy domination. Sets like the Galaxy Explorer #497 http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=497-1 were launched right around the time that Star Wars hit the theaters and gave kids like myself the fancy space pieces we needed to build some fantastic Lego models.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Agreed. Those definately started it. Throw in some Blacktron and and early 90's and would I say they are hands down better playsets than Star Wars or Harry Potter. I picked up and scored a large collection of classics with boxes and got me back into collecting old school sets. I think the price guide is a bit off on the Galaxy Explorer. I think I've seen that going for about $200 boxed and complete?

Agreed. Those definately started it. Throw in some Blacktron and and early 90's and would I say they are hands down better playsets than Star Wars or Harry Potter. I picked up and scored a large collection of classics with boxes and got me back into collecting old school sets. I think the price guide is a bit off on the Galaxy Explorer. I think I've seen that going for about $200 boxed and complete?

The data on the site is updated once a month. Very recent sales might not be included in the current price estimate. Also, old sets like the Galaxy Explorer have very few sales and some data might months old and does not show recent spikes in sold prices.

• 9 months later...

I firmly believe Blacktron I / SP I are responsible for the demise of the LEGO space theme. So difficult to make a better theme and series of sets. Some of the newer mocs are alright, I would love to see a BT/SP I reboot with modern building techniques but using staying true to the old style and color.

• Like 2

I have all of my old space lego, though no boxes or instructions. Even though I let my five year old play with our modular city and the death star, I still won't let him have my space lego. I don't want it to get mixed in with the regular stuff. :) This is my all-time favorite set in my personal-not-for-the-kids-collection. http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=6941-1

• 2 weeks later...

It's just my opinion, but I think that the early Space sets , called the 'Classic' series was what started Lego on its way to world sci-fi toy domination. Sets like the Galaxy Explorer #497

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=497-1

were launched right around the time that Star Wars hit the theaters and gave kids like myself the fancy space pieces we needed to build some fantastic Lego models.

Very perceptive. I collected space Lego at the time and built several Star Wars-related ships with the pieces. It was a great time to be a kid. Still have all my sets, as well as most of the boxes.

It's just my opinion, but I think that the early Space sets , called the 'Classic' series was what started Lego on its way to world sci-fi toy domination. Sets like the Galaxy Explorer #497

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=497-1

were launched right around the time that Star Wars hit the theaters and gave kids like myself the fancy space pieces we needed to build some fantastic Lego models.

Totally agree! Love the classic space theme, takes me right back to childhood. The Galaxy Explorer was always the holy grail set fr me that I never seemed to get. The ones I did have though I loved. Actually recently got a Star Fleet Voyaager and it's awesome. Wrote a review for it yesterday as well:

http://www.brickpicker.com/reviews/review.cfm?id=800

• 2 weeks later...

While the Classic Space sets may have gotten Lego on its start to sci-fi toy domination, kids were MOC'ing sci-fi with Lego long before. I had built an ST Enterprise as a 5-6yo well before Star Wars hit the big screen. I'd used the old gears stacked to create the saucer and the red flat hinges to attach the warp nacelles to the secondary hull at a reasonable angle. When the Space theme, and just before that Minifigs in general, debuted, I was enthralled with Lego. I had the lunar base plates and many of the sets to build a full on Moon base. Never had the Galaxy Explorer, though I did have the 487/924 shuttle and a few duplicates of the smaller sets (radar truck, rocket launcher, etc). Would be nice to have it all still, but those things are long gone. I was out of Lego by the mid-80s, and had moved on to model rockets and music.

Classic Space... Guess where my avatar is coming from... As soon as i got back from my dark ages, I started collecting Classic Space sets I couldn't get as a kid (and that includes 918, 924, 928, the european refs which match the two LL9xx brick on the ships). I found my old 6970 in my mothers' place, but nevertheless bought several other copies, and so I did with all the stations. My secret plan is to display them one day (with monorail 6990), but unfortunately I have no space (no room), for that now. Sealed sets from that period are strangely not appealing to me... hopefully for my wallet.

Classic Space... Guess where my avatar is coming from...

As soon as i got back from my dark ages, I started collecting Classic Space sets I couldn't get as a kid (and that includes 918, 924, 928, the european refs which match the two LL9xx brick on the ships). I found my old 6970 in my mothers' place, but nevertheless bought several other copies, and so I did with all the stations. My secret plan is to display them one day (with monorail 6990), but unfortunately I have no space (no room), for that now.

Sealed sets from that period are strangely not appealing to me... hopefully for my wallet.

I would like to see a newer version of the Galaxy Explorer done. Maybe updated slightly. Something like below...

• 7 months later...

I love the idea that Lego could remake some of the classic space sets. The one thing I am worried about is if they do make some more space sets, will the sets from the 70's and 80's decrease in value? If they do decrease, how much? I would expect some sort of drop in value, but I hope it is not a huge drop.